Teabing's got her bottoms on - please advise!!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Teabing

Teabing's got her bottoms on - please advise!!

#1 Post by Teabing » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:43 pm

Hiya! Have been hanging around this site reading everyone's stories for a while.....it has been a great source of information and really great to see how people hae been making progress. I'm 28, getting braced for the second time tomorrow (first time failed because I was lazy with my retainer, thankfully they have moved on since the pink plastic roof-of-the-mouth jobs) and I am sooooooooo nervous. Am getting married in December this year so am aiming to be done, or nearly, by then. If not the ortho can take them off for a week or so then re-fit afterwards.

I'm having ceramic uppers and lowers to correct overcrowding, particularly on my uppers which are quite goofy. Have already had 2 extractions and a root canal in preparation so no going back!!

Have taken pictures but it will take me forever to work out how to upload them, so will try and do that tomorrow when I'm crying into my soup and mashed potato! :cry: [/b]
Last edited by Teabing on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi Teabing and welcome to AW.

There's no need for tears! Be positive and think how lovely your smile will look on your wedding pics.

If you're worried about discomfort I would recommend taking 2 ibuprofen 1/2 hour before you go to the orthos and again 1/2 hour before you try to eat. Some vaseline or lip balm is also a good idea because your lips can get dry while your mouth is open while the braces are being fitted. After the braces are on, check to make sure there are no wire ends poking out at the back because that can HURT! :lol:

Good luck for tomorrow. We look forward to hearing all about it.

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:58 pm

Don't cry, I had extractions, 2 root canal re-treats, 2 crowns, cavities refilled, and I'm still alive to tell the story! No big deal, once you see your teeth moving around, you'll not regret your decision! Sure you're having soft foods now, but after a month you'll be back to eating tortilla chips and what not from the no-no list. Chipper up, braces are only temporary, your smile lasts a lifetime!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Teabing

#4 Post by Teabing » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:10 pm

Thank you both! Will update you tomorrow on how I get on, just not looking forward to seeing my new mouth for the first time....

Teabing

#5 Post by Teabing » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:34 am

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 5vbld6.jpg]Image[/URL]

So here are my teeth pre-braces, guess which set I've had bleached!! Got my uppers done today and it was absolutely fine, they don't look half as bad as I thought which is really great. Obviously they are noticeable close up but as they are ceramic and I even have a tooth coloured wire, it is not too bad at all.....here is a shot of them with their new bling...

http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... bm9rg8.jpg]Image[/URL]

Sorry the photos aren't great quality and I haven't quite worked out the best size but it's a start!!

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:41 am

Teabing, they look so good! You can hardly notice the brackets and wire. Welcome aboard!

Spanner

#7 Post by Spanner » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:31 pm

My gosh you can barely see them :shock:

Yep I can tell which set you've had bleached :wink: I'm not having my bleached until after my treatment has finished. I will need a veneer on one tooth so I need to have them bleached then get the veneer to match.

Good luck.

Spanner

#8 Post by Spanner » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:31 pm

double post sorry

Teabing

#9 Post by Teabing » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:24 am

So I was very pleased with my discreet shiny white braces until on Saturday night I treated myself to a chinese and woke up the next morning with glowing green/yellow braces. Now they are so much more noticeable and I look like I smoke 50 a day! This coincided with my first day back at work which wasn't too bad, not many people noticed unless I showed them, but one girl asked me if I chose yellow for a reason! I feel like a swamp monster - will this be solved by having the bands changed or have I stained my porcelain/ceramic brackets???? I am really self conscious! Also, if it is just the ligs, can I get some spare ones from my ortho in case it happens again and change them myself? I blame the spicy singapore noodles......

Miss Smiley

#10 Post by Miss Smiley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:35 am

Rest assured that your brackets are not stained, only the ligs have been discolored. It is not advised that you change out your own ligs, rather ask your ortho office if you can come in to have them changed out.

Lisa65

#11 Post by Lisa65 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:23 am

Definitely just the ligs, if you're in the habit of eating Chinese or curry, or if you drink a lot of tea and coffee, then clear ligs are not the best option for you.

If you're dead against coloured ligs which are less likely to show stains, then you could ask your ortho for wire ties.

You could try a whitening toothpaste which might fade the yellow a bit, but sadly they will not go back to their original state.

Teabing

#12 Post by Teabing » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:01 am

Thank you both, I'll be avoiding the chinese from now on......I'm going to get my bottom braces fitted tomorrow so will ask my ortho if he can change them at the same time :wink:

Miss Smiley

#13 Post by Miss Smiley » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:07 am

Oh Teabig, I forgot to telll you that soy sauce will discolor the clear ligs into a bright yellow.

Teabing

#14 Post by Teabing » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:19 pm

Thank you! I don't eat curry or drink coffee but anything else that you can warn me off would be great! I took a look at your pictures and I must admit I'm quite tempted by the baby pink ligs, they look so cute, my teeth aren't as white as yours though so don't know if I could carry that off!

Miss Smiley

#15 Post by Miss Smiley » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:34 pm

Teabing, go for it! I'm thinking of trying pink again for Feb, hopefully I won't have an allergic reaction to the dye like I did before. But then again, I have a reaction to anything.