Browneyedgrl's Journey~Updated~ 12/16

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

browneyedgrl

Browneyedgrl's Journey~Updated~ 12/16

#1 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Everybody,

I guess that it's finally time to tell my story since I'm a little over 2 days out from my b-day. Well it's time for me to start my second journey... I went through 2-phase treatment starting about 30 years ago where I had a major crossbite of my upper laterals and my centrals kind of looked like SpongeBobs teeth. My ortho at the time had me wear some springtype expander retainer which did the job after couple of months and then I was on hold for a couple of years until the rest of teeth came in. Then I wore upper braces for about 18 months to finish up the job. My bottom teeth were perfectly straight and I had no bite issues. I was really good with my retainer and probably after 2 years of wearing religously at night, I still wore it a couple of nights per week. Then every now and again I would put it in and then I didn't bother anymore.

Years later, I had noticed that I had some minor relaspe, and I decided to look into treatment about 8 years ago and went for two consults, one ortho suggested wearing a retainer( to hold what I currently had) and the other suggested upper braces for about 6 months and retention, for an outragous fee and I decided to pass at the time. Fast forward the last 2-3 years I've noticed lots of jaw popping and ringing in my ears -- I started to have the beginnings of TMJ. I also noticed that my bite didn't seem right, I had been complaining to my dentist and he noticed that I was grinding and having issues with keeping my mouth open for long periods of time(during dental work). He perscribed a nightgard which didn't help at all (spent alot of $$$ on), did moist heat compresses and 800mg motrin 3x a day for 10 days and that didn't work. Then I chipped my tooth from out of nowhere and I finally asked my dentist what is my next option, he referred me to couple of orthodontists to check out my occulsion. Well I went my consultation and low and behold my bite is totally messed up which I was floored about, but relieved at the same time, since knew that it wasn't in my head. My midlines were off and I have an underbite relationship on my right side. Both my dentist and ortho told me that there is no guarantee that getting my bite in order is going to relieve the TMJ, but it's worth a try. They feel that I'm making the right decision. Hopefully it will help.

I'm getting upper ceramic and lower metal braces on January 10. Estimated treatment time 12 months. I'm also starting to get nervous too!
Last edited by browneyedgrl on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:51 am, edited 17 times in total.
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

hannahwebbo

#2 Post by hannahwebbo »

Hi Browneyedgrl

I just wanted to say a big hello :-1 and congratulations on making the decision to get braced again.

Im sorry to hear that you relapsed from your first round of treatment but hopefully things will be better this time. Im due to get braced the day after you and i will also be having upper ceramic and lower metal and my estimated time is 15 months so ill definatly be keeping up to date on your story. I hope your appointment goes well on Thursday

Good luck

Hannah x

Twinkletoes

#3 Post by Twinkletoes »

Hi Browneyedgirl! I got my braces on yesterday (ceramic upper and metal lower, self-ligating). Just wanted to wish you luck for Thursday.

browneyedgrl

#4 Post by browneyedgrl »

Thank you so much Hannah and Twinkle. We should call ourselves the ceramic uppers/metal lowers triplets...LOL!

Twinkle, how is it going? My appointment is on Thursday at 1:30, I'll work until lunch(told to have a good one) and do the deed and go home. I'm a little nervous, but I know that I'm doing the right thing.

Hannah, my relaspe is minor, but it has bothered me for along time. I was more surprised with how messed up my bite was since I didn't have bite issues to begin with. Good luck on Friday.

I must take some pics and get them up.

Well T-minus 41 hours and counting!
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

victor36

hello, browneyedgrl!

#5 Post by victor36 »

Hello, browneyedgrl!

I can't be part of the ceramic/metal club... :P all metal on this end... but there is no need to get nervous; be excited! You're going to have no regrets about getting your bite corrected and I'm sure the end result is going to be awesome.

Here's to both of us having good ortho visits on Thursday! (I have adjustment #6) at 3:15pm ...

Until next time,

~Victor
B-day: 02/06/07
Adjustments: 04/03/07, 05/30/07, 07/25/07, 09/18/07, 11/15/07, 01/10/08, 03/04/08, 05/08/08
Debonding: 07/01/08
18 month prognosis
Actual Treatment Time: 1 year, 4 months, 25 days
Click on the Image ↓↓ below for my story.

browneyedgrl

#6 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Victor,

I'm sorry that you can be a part of the ceramic/metal club, but we're all here for the same purpose to support one another!

As far as being nervous, been there done that, right. When you're 13 years old is one thing (which the parents paid for), 26 years later, I'm paying for it!!!

Cheers to Thursday, I'm on EST, so while you're having your adjustment, my pain may be setting in.

Have a great appointment!

Browneyedgrl

[/url]

browneyedgrl

#7 Post by browneyedgrl »

Ken,

I know that you're there in spirit! Thank you so much for your well wishes. I still can't believe that I'm going to be doing this, nervous and excited at the same time!

[/url]

browneyedgrl

#8 Post by browneyedgrl »

Ken,

My stomach has been tied in knots since I got the confirmation phone call this morning. I cannot believe that I'm doing this... This time tomorrow, I'll be officially braced...OMG :BigTeethGrin:

[/url]

victor36

#9 Post by victor36 »

hi browneyedgrl, have a GREAT appointment tomorrow! Are they putting on brackets AND wires?

Stay hydrated, and take lots of pictures!!!

~Victor
B-day: 02/06/07
Adjustments: 04/03/07, 05/30/07, 07/25/07, 09/18/07, 11/15/07, 01/10/08, 03/04/08, 05/08/08
Debonding: 07/01/08
18 month prognosis
Actual Treatment Time: 1 year, 4 months, 25 days
Click on the Image ↓↓ below for my story.

browneyedgrl

#10 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Victor,

Yes, I'm getting brackets and wires, no bands. Hopefully there will be no other surprises...LOL!!!

Thank you so much for your well wishes and you have a great appointment too!!!

Browneyedgrl

[/url]

browneyedgrl

#11 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Ken,

I'm up at 3:30 and I can't sleep, you think I'm nervous.....NOT!!!

My appointment isn't until 1:30, I have some time to go.

Thanks again and I'll report back later :D

[/url]

browneyedgrl

#12 Post by browneyedgrl »

Well I did go back to sleep for another 2 hours :D . I was planning on dosing off while I was in the chair. I figured that the time would go by faster.

[/url]

hannahwebbo

#13 Post by hannahwebbo »

Hi Brown eyedgrl

HAPPY BDAY :-)o

I hope evrything goes well today

Hannah x

browneyedgrl

#14 Post by browneyedgrl »

I did it!!!

My appointment went very well. I got there, went into the consult room and went over a bunch of things and then I had to sign my life away and pay!

Then it was back to the treatment area and then I got started. Cleaned my teeth with nasty pumice toothpaste (no flavor) then put in the lip retractors, started etching(the stuff brought back memories from the first time around in 1981 -- scary, huh) and then some other solution, then it was time for bracket placement. My ortho first placed all of my top brackets (which I wasn't expecting)he left and the then the assistant cured them. Then she started to prep the lowers and started to apply one side ortho came to check them and finished up the rest.

Then the wires went in and I asked what color ties she was planning on using and she said clear, I told her that I'm a coffee drinker and she did wire ties on top from 4 to 4. She went with silver ligs on the bottom and viola I was done. I got lots of goodies, but the best one was the sonic care toothbrush. Anyway my next appointment is in 5 weeks and there you be!

My teeth are starting to ache, the hooks on the cuspids are killing me, already sporting the wax.

I just want to thank everyone for their well wishes and support! :tingrin:

I will try and get some pics up before the end of the night!
Last edited by browneyedgrl on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

[/url]

LadyJ

#15 Post by LadyJ »

Glad everything went well! :thumbsup:

Waiting anxiously for pics...

:rose:
Braced for the first time on January 17th, 2008!
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ
Damon 3 ("social six") and 3MX brackets
Estimated treatment time: 18-20 months
This is what I'm going for!
Click on WWW to read my braces story.