Ripchord's braces story- month 22

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ripchord

Ripchord's braces story- month 22

#1 Post by ripchord »

Hello everyone! I'm not exactly an adult in braces, more like a teen. I promise you I won't throw any hissy fits and tell you its not fair :lol:

I'm fourteen (edit: now fifteen) and started my treatment January '07 when I was thirteen. Here is my story so far.

Ever since I was ten, my general dentist (also my orthodontist) has been saying "We'll wait for her to lose her last teeth and we'll start with braces". I've heard this many times during checkups. Until one glorious day when I came in for a cleaning... I got the "O.K." to start my treatment! However, at the time I still had four baby teeth (all second premolars). My ortho was kind enough to work around those without extractions.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pre-treatment photos. Allow me to paint you a picture. The main concern I had with my teeth were my canines. They came in very high and only peeked out of the gums slightly. Let's just say the kids at my school weren't so polite about it. I have a very deep bite (90%) and excess gum tissue, causing my teeth to appear short. My bottom teeth were only slightly crooked.

My ortho put the braces on, skipped the baby teeth and one of my canines that wasn't showing enough to brace. I began to see results within months. The braced canine came all the way down and my bottom teeth began to straighten out. After a few more months, my naked canine came down enough to be braced as well. It was fixed within a couple of months. Two of my bottom pre-molars came in and were also braced.

Currently, my upper adult pre-molars are starting to poke through my gums after the torture I went through trying to get the baby teeth out (one still had the root! EEK!). Other than that, my teeth are looking good. They are pretty much completely straight. My orthodontist hasn't replaced my wires ONCE since I began this journey 11 months ago. He hasn't started elastics yet either. I believe his plans are to brace the remaining two teeth before things start to get rough.

Here is a photo of my tenth month:

As you can see, my bite still needs correction. Other than that they're straightened up.

I am sentenced to two years originally, but my orthodontists has recently reported that the metal may come off a bit sooner. Hooray! :-*

After my treatment, I'm planning on getting a gingivectomy (AKA a "gum lift"). My teeth will be lookin good :wink:

I'll be updating with pictures once I get my two remaining teeth braced and/or I get elastics. Feel free to post!
Last edited by ripchord on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 14 times in total.

ripchord

#2 Post by ripchord »

Thanks for the warm welcome :D

It's nice to know somebody else didn't get their wires changed as frequently. It gets frustrating after a while. My teeth haven't made much progress in the past few months.

I'm wating patiently for my two remaining teeth to grow in. One of them is about 3/4 of the way, but the other one is barely even there. I'm hoping I can get a bracket on the grown in one by my next appointment (January 4th).

ripchord

#3 Post by ripchord »

I took some better pictures so you can see my bottom teeth

And here's a view of my bottom arch

Today is officially my 11th month in braces! Only about a year to go!

I've also been searching for pictures of my shape of teeth, but with less gums to see what they'd look like after my gingivectomy. I'm a dork :lol:

ripchord

#4 Post by ripchord »

Thanks Ken :) Writing has always been my good subject.

Ah, I'm a big purple fan as well. My ligatures are almost always purple, along with my room. Haha.

See you around!

ripchord

#5 Post by ripchord »

Purple is great :D

Aw thanks. That means a lot. I think it's just a matter of my premolars growing in and fixing my bite. Hopefully it'll go by fast! I'm so anxious to see the end result.

ripchord

#6 Post by ripchord »

As an update, my premolars are growing in steadily. I saw a lot of progress in my recently extracted premolar. The adult version has grown out about 2/5 the way. Unfortunately, it is bleeding as a result. The other one is pretty much ready to be braced. I have about a month until my next appointment, so I'm hoping at least one will be ready by then.

I'm trying to encourage them to grow out more. I know it sounds impossible, but is there any way I can get my teeth to grow in faster? Hah, I doubt it... But you never knoe.

We put up our christmas lights yesterday. We have two metal deer with lights attach that move their heads, a matching lighted metal tree, and blue/white flashing lights on the eves. I'm so excited for christmas. :) Hey, i'm a kid still. It gets to me... :oops:
Braced on January 5th, 2007
Debanded on April 2nd, 2009

Click www to see my story!

ripchord

#7 Post by ripchord »

Yeah, I figured there wasn't much I can do. I took a mirror to see if there was any progress this morning and the other half of the crown is just barely poking through. I'm sure it'll be grown in by my next adjustment. Then, I can finally get elastics :D

I'm so tired of nothing happening in my treatment. i feel like my teeth haven't moved for 6 months. Having elastics will give me something to do instead of waiting.

The tree got knocked down last night. I think we forgot to hold it down with stakes. It survived :) Boy is it windy today.

ripchord

#8 Post by ripchord »

I found out a few days ago that my first two years of college will be free (my highschool is paying for it) so my mom is thinking about using the money for braces. I will definitely let her know about this site. She has TMJ and neck problems because of her teeth. I'm happy for her :)

Today me and my mom cleaned out the whole family room. My mom adopted a pregnant dog named Lola that was going to be put down from the shelter last january and she had 7 puppies. We used our family room as a "puppy" room once the puppies were old enough to eat on their own. It's been a complete mess ever since. We adopted out 5 of the 7 puppies and we're keeping the mom (Lola). I'm so glad to have that space back. I missed it. It took half the day. We moved the treadmill into the garage, pushed the entertainment center around, moved a couple dog crates, arranged the filing cabinet and other random things, and cleaned the whole room. We're getting a christmas tree this sunday and also decorating the house. Our fire place is in the family room and it is also where we put our tree. I'm relieved that we have room for a tree and also very excited. Decorating the tree is one of my favorite parts of christmas.

I stayed home from school all week from a cold. I'm a bit behind on my Algebra but everything else I'm ahead in. The semester is almost over so things are kinda stressful.

Sorry that this was so off topic. Just thought I'd let you in on my life a bit.

ripchord

#9 Post by ripchord »

Thanks Karen and Ken :)

We got our house and tree all decorated today. It's beautiful! :dance:

I'm starting to get over my sickness and I'll be back in school by Tuesday.

Haha, my dad loves drag racing. He doesn't do it, but he likes to watch races. Thats very neat.

I hope my mom gets braces. That would be good for her. She's always in pain because of her neck. She could probably get invisalign. Her teeth aren't that bad off, just her jaw.

I'm so excited for christmas :lol: I'm knitting my mom a scarf and my dad a beanie, then me and my sister are buying my mom a cardigan and my dad some motorcycle jersey-type thing he wanted. Its nice to have a sister who can drive. She just got her license so its easier to shop for parents these days.

I'll update soon :D Happy holidays!

ripchord

#10 Post by ripchord »

Thanks Karen and Ken :)

We got our house and tree all decorated today. It's beautiful! :dance:

I'm starting to get over my sickness and I'll be back in school by Tuesday.

Haha, my dad loves drag racing. He doesn't do it, but he likes to watch races. Thats very neat.

I hope my mom gets braces. That would be good for her. She's always in pain because of her neck. She could probably get invisalign. Her teeth aren't that bad off, just her jaw.

I'm so excited for christmas :lol: I'm knitting my mom a scarf and my dad a beanie, then me and my sister are buying my mom a cardigan and my dad some motorcycle jersey-type thing he wanted. Its nice to have a sister who can drive. She just got her license so its easier to shop for parents these days.

I'll update soon :D Happy holidays!

ripchord

#11 Post by ripchord »

Hey guys.
I'm starting to get pretty impatient with my braces. It seems like I've had them forever without much progress. They moved a lot the first few months, but for about 5 months now they haven't moved at all. My friend since 4th grade just got his braces off today. It's kind of tiring to know that even after another year I still have a surgical procedure to go through until my smile is done. I know I haven't had them for that long, but I'm sure some of you have felt like this before. Any help? :cry:

ripchord

#12 Post by ripchord »

You're right. I'm pretty lucky to have parents that can pay for braces... I'm glad I have them, but I'll be even happier to have them off :D

I think having elastics will give me something to do. I'm just hoping my teeth will be ready and I can get them by my next appointment.

Thanks! :-} +\+

Beckster

#13 Post by Beckster »

Jenny,

I was just reading your story and wanted to first of all say that I'm sorry you've been having a rough time lately with things! Just remember--it can only get better from here! Also, here's something to think about--I got my braces off in 8th grade when I was only a little over 13 and sure enough ended up in braces again at 24! NOT fun as an adult! By having your braces a bit later you'll be way more responsible about wearing your retainers being a little older I'm sure, and will prob. be less likely to need them again as an "old lady" like I was! Your jaws probably won't be changing as much when you get yours off a little older, which I'd assume might mean they will be less likely to move?(I would ask a professional about my last sentence there--that is just based on what I know from my biology classes...Ha I am definitely no expert! :P ) Well good luck to ya hun and keep me posted on how it all goes!!

~Becky

ripchord

#14 Post by ripchord »

Aw, thanks Becky :) I'm feeling much better about my braces right now. I'm trying not to think about them as much and concentrate on school and friends and what not.

You're right about that. Since I'll be about 15 when they're off, I'll probably be better with my retainers. I'm sorry you had to be re-braced :( At least you're fixing your smile instead of leaving it be. I applaud you and all other adult braces wearers :wink:

I'll definitely keep you all updated! :D

Beckster

#15 Post by Beckster »

You're welcome! :D

I'm actually lucky enough to be able to say that I got my braces off for the 2nd time in February! Take care and have a great rest of your week!