Rainy's Adventures in Braceland:POWERCHAIN TIME

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rainy

Rainy's Adventures in Braceland:POWERCHAIN TIME

#1 Post by Rainy »

July 12

I went for a consult. Ortho (Dr Nelson)is very nice, the office is very modern and clean. You do a computer check in and they seem to move very fast.
I met first with the consultant (MaryAnne). She asked what I wanted from this. I must have looked at her with some confusion. To me it was obvious, I wanted straight teeth. She gave me a quick look over and then mentioned my lower jaw and Overjet. Surgery was mentioned; she offered to give me the name of the Surgeon who they worked closely with. At this time Dr Nelson came in and went over options after looking at my teeth. I have a Class II DivI with a 12mm Overjet.

Probably no teeth pulled, although that could change after being in braces for awhile. No mention of the dreaded spacers either. He did talk about Surgery.
I never expected this and I asked if it was a decision I needed to make now, and did I really need to have it, to get straight teeth.
He did talk about my over jet and surgery. He said he would be able to correct some of the overjet, but most likely not eliminate it. The only way to do that would be surgery. He reassured me that we can still do the braces and get straight teeth.
I have chosen at this time to not do the surgery. I can go back and have it done later, it may mean back in braces though. I want straight teeth as best as possible. I can live with the over jet and the small jaw. Since that day I have read the surgery forum, and it dosnt seem as scary to go throu, but I will wait to make a final descion on that later.

Mister is being very supportive in my decision. He actually told me he can be just like a “mama bird and chew my food for me first if neededâ€
Last edited by Rainy on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 11 times in total.

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Welcome to the forums!

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

Rainy - You'll get over the brushing and flossing in front of others. Besides that, welcome to the boards!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Rainy

#4 Post by Rainy »

Today was the day.
I walked into the office and seen the Dr. brushing his teeth. He stopped asked me if I was excited. I said yes, he then went on to say " now go ahead and run your tongue over your teeth, it will be the last time you will feel them for 2 years".

The assistant took one look at my mouth and put away the regular lip spreader and took out a small one. I thanked her for that profusley. The prep of my teeth went just like I read on here. I had read about how bad the stuff to etch your teeth was, but I think it was a hundred times worse, talk about sour....

Other then her dropping 2 brackets on the floor and spilling the cement all over her tray, it went fast. I was out in a hour and half.

I currently have no brackets on all four back molars. She told me they want the others to straighten out a little first before putting any there.

I went with all metal SmartClips which are self ligating. I do have one ligature though. I have a gap from a tooth that was pulled many years ago. The assistant put a hook on the bracket next to it and tied it with a white ligature to help hold the wire down.

I am home now and doing ok, I really cant feel my bottom ones but do feel the hooks on my uppers. I placed wax on those already, did a salt rinse and took some advil.

I cant post pictures yet as our laptop which is the only computer that had a floppy drive, (how are digital pics are taken) was stolen in the burglary. I will post as soon as I can.

Rainy

cwatt1

#5 Post by cwatt1 »

Congratulations and welcome to the "Metal Mouth" crowd, Rainy! It sounds like things are going well so far. Great you have the supporet of your mister!

You may be sore for a few days, so make sure you have OTC painkillers handy in case you need them. Also drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated; your braces will feel more comfortable during the next few days/weeks that you're adjusting to them.

Salt water rinses will help greatly with chafing and mouth sores, should you experience them.

Best of luck on your journey toward better oral health! Look forward to following your progress :!:

Click here to read about my progress.

Rainy

#6 Post by Rainy »

Thank you Cwatt.
Its been about 4 hours and no pain yet, but I am getting irratated where the little prongs are on the brackets. I have them covered with wax now. Drinking lots of water as my 43 year old bladder can atest too. I see many trips to the bathroom in the upcoming nights.

Rainy

Laurie

#7 Post by Laurie »

Well that stinks about the burglary!

I hope your treatment goes well!

platinum

#8 Post by platinum »

Welcome!!!!

You seem to have quite a overjet. I have only 6mm, and in my case it is questionable if that can be corrected with braces only. I opted not to have a jaw surgery.

Teeth cleaning gets faster, although it is time consuming........
I use Oral floss, it is not as thin and waxed that others. it i sort of "hairy" and one can feel that one flosses.

Good luck!

Rainy

#9 Post by Rainy »

Platinum yes I do, its 12mm. I was told right off the bat I would not get rid of all of it without surgrey. At this time I have decided against surgery. The main reason is cost right now. I have spent time reading the oral surgery forum, and having read the stories there I may change my mind.

Rainy

Rainy

#10 Post by Rainy »

Ok so doing ok this morning, my most crooked tooth on the bottom is feeling a little tender but nothing I need to take anything for. I have a lot of wax on though.
The assistant got some of the stuff that they used to get the teeth ready for the bracket on my gums, which turned white and now look raw, though they dont hurt. I am rinsing with salt water several times a day, and drinking lots of water.

I am starting to wonder if I should take some wax off the pronged brackets to let my cheeks get used to them or just keep the wax there. Will the cheeks toughen up with the wax there anyways?

I will give it another few days and if my one tooth keeps hitting a bracket I will call the Ortho. Right now it means I cannot chew small things on that side of my mouth.

Had a egg filled burrito for dinner last night, while it was uncomfortable to chew, the slower I ate it the better, but I was sore by the time I was done with it.
I can see why some people lose some weight. I am or was a big snacker, now I cant be bothered. I will go to reach for something and then remember the braces and kinda throw it down in disgust, as there is no way I am gonna go take wax off, then clean then wax up again.

I have a co-worker whose dtr got her braces on 2 weeks before me and she calls to check and see how I am doing. She reassured me that in several weeks I will be eating anything I want too. (She was watching her dtr eat a big piece of chocolate cake while talking to me) LoL I then heard her yell at her to go brush as it looked gross.

I am thinking I should have bought stock in the wax makers company :P

minlou01

#11 Post by minlou01 »

Welcome! I agree with KK your teeth are going to look fab when you are done!

3/10/07 Upper Wisdom Teeth Extracted
3/24/07 Lower Wisdom Teeth Extracted-Major Complications (Fractured Jaw & Dry Sockets) Postponed B-Day by 2 Months
6/4/07 Upper Arch Braced
7/2/07 Lower ArchBraced
5/29/10 Debraced!!!!

Rainy

#12 Post by Rainy »

Its been a long week.

Going back to work after a vacation, having to discuss the robbery and getting my braces and doing my job made for one. It hasnt been bad though when I look back at it.

As a result of all the talking I do when dealing with patients, my cheeks were pretty tender on Monday when I got home. I spent the rest of the week loaded with wax. At one point I started to feel a little down, I wasnt wearing braces I was wearing wax. Yesterday and today I am down to just wax on the prongs, just having four little pieces of wax has made me real happy.

Meals are going good. While it has hurt a few times to chew, its been more that I have a tooth hitting a bracket that bothers me. It makes for a slow meal I tell you. I do feel my teeth get "tight" or one will kinda throb for a few minutes, nothing that is uncomfortable though. I did get some intense itching in what felt like the inside my gums one day though. I would have given anything to be able to reach in there and scratch, no idea why I had it.

I did manage to eat pizza last night. Just had to use a fork and knife there was no way I could bite into it with my front teeth.

Flossing is now down to a science due to the wonderful advice here on the forum. I bought some of the Super Oral B stiff end floss and it works perfectly.

Things I have learned this week.

I know too many people in the hospital I work in, and they all want to stop and talk. (maked for sore cheeks this past week) :roll:

If you choose the right foods for your lunch at work you dont gross people out when you talk to them. :oops:

Pizza is no where as good eaten up with a fork and knife.

Singing in the car is now even more of an adventure when you have a slight lisp. :lol:

I drink alot less soda and way more water. I used to drink 6-7 diet pepsi a day, now down to one or two. Coffee is now down to 2 cups a day. :)

Wax is my bestest friend and salt water rinses isnt to far behind.

Mister and I can still have fun even with braces on :wink:

That without this forum I would get down more often but seeing others in the same situation as I am makes it ok. :D

Life is good and I havnt regretted my descion once this week. :D

Rainy

kiwigirl83

#13 Post by kiwigirl83 »

Hey there :) Your attitude towards your braces is inspiring and the account you're keeping is great to read! I just got my braces on today so I'm not too far behind you.

It's great to know that pizza is not an impossibility with braces on... ;)

Laurie

#14 Post by Laurie »

I've learned about biting with my back teeth too. Looks odd but it works!

cwatt1

#15 Post by cwatt1 »

Rainy, I'm a pizza fan too, and just this weekend I was able to eat a slice without cutting it up! I'm sure that'll be true for you before too long, too!

Glad to hear you're pleased with your decision. Attitude is more than half the battle!

Here's to continued progress for you :D

Click here to read about my progress.