Cinnamon ALMOST STRAIGHT!--> NEW PICS Feb 2nd - page 6

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cinnamon

Cinnamon ALMOST STRAIGHT!--> NEW PICS Feb 2nd - page 6

#1 Post by Cinnamon »

Hi guys! I've been lurking around this board for awhile now, reading stories and asking questions.

Well, I'm happy to report that I am officially taking the plunge! I'll be a metal-mouth by noon on the 23rd!! I'm so happy that I'm finally going to
do it and I'm so glad to have this site and the people on it to help me get through it.

The deal: I'm 26 yrs old and I have always been bothered by my big crooked front tooth. Over the years that tooth has continued to rotate, become chipped, and annoy me more and more. It's the usual story: parents unable to afford braces, followed by the fear of actually having braces on my teeth for a year and a half, mixed with denial about caring about my looks enough to pay the cost (money, time, humiliation, pain.....).

Over the past couple of years I've gotten several ortho consultations, which assured me that my crooked tooth was the result of my narrow and crowded mouth. Now that I'm seeing my bottom teeth start to overlap, and I'm more concerned about keeping cavities away and not doing any more damage to my teeth due to an uneven bite, I am more enthusiastic about getting braces.

Until now I've been waiting for the right time to get braces (right time = 18 mos in which I plan on not seeing anyone I know and never leave the house). Not gonna happen. I'm tired of thinking back to when I last looked into getting braces and thinking - "If I'd gotten braces then, I'd have them off by now", so I'm just going to get them on! :tingrin:

The teeth : According to my ortho, I have a crowded and narrow upper and lower arch and my bite is off due to my lower jaw being set back. The infamous tooth is severely rotated.

(sorry about the pic quality - better ones to come)

Treatment: Estimated treatment time is 17 mos. During that time I have rubber bands and molar build-ups to look forward to (very exciting :roll:).

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my questions, this site has had a big influence on my decision to get braced, and I look forward to sharing my experience with you.

~ Cinnamon
Last edited by Cinnamon on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.

rhonda30

#2 Post by rhonda30 »

Your teeth have a very nice shape to them and they will be beautiful when the treatment is completed. Your case does not look that complicated, I bet the treatment will be less than 17 months. If you need any help with rubber bands let me know.

Good luck with your treatment and we look forward to watching your progress.

Cinnamon

#3 Post by Cinnamon »

Thanks for the compliment ladies! :BigGrin: I'm so excited to get started!!

Rhonda30 ~ I will definitely be asking you about rubber bands (I'm a little intimidated at the thought of them) - thanks for offering.

KK ~ Your b-day advice is something I'd looked forward to getting!! It tells me that I'm close and that it's actually gonna happen!! Woo hoo! :banana:

Click on Wonder Woman to go to my braces story Image

cwatt1

#4 Post by cwatt1 »

The ladies are right -- you'll have an award-winning smile when your treatment is completed!

You and I share some of the same issues -- I have a deep bite and considerable crowding, so I'll be getting "rubber banded" also. We'll have to be sure and compare notes. :computer:

Good luck! :)

Click here to read about my progress.

Cinnamon

#5 Post by Cinnamon »

Thanks cwatt1! Yes, we will definitely have to compare horror stories...er...I mean experiences :wink:. Can't wait to hear about your first day as a bracee.

Cinnamon

#6 Post by Cinnamon »

The Torqued Tooth (plus some mondo fillings :oops:) in her full glory. Just not enough space in that mouth o' mine.

(Cool background effects eh?)

married2abuckeye

#7 Post by married2abuckeye »

Congrats, Cinnamon! I'll be getting braced on July 16th (I got my spacers last week so I have a tiny taste of what I'm in for), so we'll be experiencing this together. Funny how many of our stories are similar - no braces as teens due to lack of funds, and aprehensive/in denial as adults to boot.

I am proud to admit to becoming a little obsessed with ArchWired in my excitement for the upcoming big day, so I'm glad to see others are excited about it, too :D

Thanks for sharing your story!

Kirsten

Cinnamon

#8 Post by Cinnamon »

Thanks Kirsten and Linda21!!

Kirsten: I TOTALLY know all about having an unhealthy(?) attachment to this site. This is such a great site, and I just keep thinking of things to look for. My hubby has started making fun of me when he sees me on here, I say "Hey, at least I'm using my powers of obsession for good!"
Congrats to you for getting braced...on MONDAY!! Looks like it's party weekend for you - gotta overdo it on the crunchy & chewy while you can!

Linda21:
She won't have much to brag about once she's tied and chained and pulled into line :lol:
:D Seriously!!! ha ha! By the time I'm done with her, she'll know her place --> right next to the rest of 'em :BigGrin: !! Congrats again to you on your upcoming release - you've earned it!!

Cinnamon

#9 Post by Cinnamon »

I've confirmed my banding appointment for Monday morning...and now it's time to freak out! :lol: Seriously, I am getting a little scared at the thought of having all that gear on my teeth. I'm afraid I'm going to really hate it. I guess now that I know that it's really going to happen, I've begun to think about what it's really going to be like....and I'm unsure now. I mean, I will do it, and I'll be happy with the result (I hope), but what about the year and a half in between? Words of wisdom????

MommaDucky

#10 Post by MommaDucky »

Hi Cinnamon, and welcome!

Your concerns about getting the braces installed remind me a lot of the way I was feeling before I had braces put on. I had mine on May 31st, just over a month and a half ago, and I couldn't be happier that I've finally done it.

Before I had my braces put on, I was mostly concerned with things like, what will other people think of my looks, or will my husband still find me attractive, or will I look like a 12 year old? (I'm not vain...) :wink:

Personally, I just tried to keep a good attitude about it. I would remind myself that this is something I'm doing for myself, not the rest of the world, and the people that really matter will no doubt stick by me and support me. I figured that having the braces would be obnoxious at first, and that it would take some getting used to while eating especially, but I also trusted that I would become accustomed to them in short order.

I haven't had my braces very long, so I do remember what it was like getting them on. For me the worst parts were having to bite down to get the bands wrapped around the molars (I have 4 on bottom and 2 on top), and also after they scrape some of the excess glue off your teeth and it lands in your mouth and sometimes in the back of your throat... I'm a gagger. Those things don't mix well. Remembering that still makes me shudder. :yuck:

On the other hand, usually the orthodontist will work quickly and try to get you in and out with minimal hassle. The banding appointment will be much easier to deal with if you know your ortho well and trust them. (It doesn't hurt if they have a good sense of humor either!)

Overall, it's really not that bad. It's mostly just kind of awkward, sitting there with funky lip stretchers in your mouth exposing your teeth to the world in a rather unflattering manner, and on top of that -- you have a tube sucking up your spit for you! :) Lucky for me, I wasn't the only patient in the room when I had my braces put on, so someone else got to watch! Needless to say, I was mildly embarrassed. :oops:

Getting used to your braces happens in no time. They are annoying and weird for the first few days, and eventually your cheeks and tongue get used to all the new stuff in your mouth. You learn to work around it, and for me - I don't even notice mine anymore. Unless of course I eat cooked spinach or any kind of sandwich or pasta... A good idea is to invest in a little take-with-you tooth pick. I've got one that's on a keychain: it comes apart to reveal a mirror on the part attached to the keys, and the part that slides out has an LED light and a dentist's pick on the end. The whole thing is smaller than a milano cookie. Great for if you eat out often enough to be worried about food particles stuck in there!

Congratulations on going for it! We're all in this together, and you'll find a lot of great people and support through this site. I look forward to hearing about your appointment on Monday!

Good luck! :-88 :jump: :thumbsup: (I've gone smiley crazy!)
-Katherine-

see my braces story here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=20273

MommaDucky

#11 Post by MommaDucky »

oh and by the way - I didn't see KK's reply before I responded earlier, but I do have to agree... act like nothing has changed! I swear you'll be amazed by how many people don't even notice the braces. I have ceramic uppers and metal lowers, and you wouldn't believe how many people didn't see them at all. In fact, I'd point out that I had just gotten braces on, and people would be surprised, saying that they hadn't even realised it. Sometimes, even when I smile at people, they think I've only got braces on the lowers because the ceramics are so inconspicuous!

When you get your braces on, if you just go about your business and act as though everything is normal, most people won't even bat an eye unless you tell them the news. It worked for me! And it's definitely a confidence booster when someone says, "Really? I didn't even notice!"
-Katherine-

see my braces story here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=20273

cwatt1

#12 Post by cwatt1 »

So, READY, SET, GO for Monday! I can't add much to the excellent suggestions set forth by Karen and MommaDucky. I'll just add my positive vibes! Certainly this is a major milestone, and I know you've got emotions swirling around in your brain, just as I did last Thursday, July 12. But you know what? The more I think about that day, the more I realize that it's a real, genuine turning point in my life and health.

I'm going to take a special interest in your story for a couple of reasons. As I mentioned before, we share a lot of the same issues with our teeth! Secondly, we're starting treatment a little more than a week apart.

Let's both draw strength and inspiration from each other!

I'll be thinking about you on Monday!

Click here to read about my progress.

Cinnamon

#13 Post by Cinnamon »

KK, MommaDucky, and cwatt1 - YOU ROCK! Way to tell me exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks for taking the time to support me - I just needed to throw a little fit and be OK with being apprehensive (OK - scared!) about this change. For years I have been too scared, too embarrassed, and too broke to seriously consider it, and now it's kind of tripping me out that it's no longer a wish, 'cause now I'm doing it!! At the same time I am VERY excited and proud of making this commitment to myself.

Whew.....feeling much better now :D

Thanks again guys - I'll be watching your stories for inspiration!

rhonda30

#14 Post by rhonda30 »

One of the neat things about this site is that in a couple of weeks you will be giving advice to the new apprehensive adult who is worried about starting the orthodontic journey. We keep passing on the knowledge and wisdom we obtain from those who have preceded us.

Stay positive and remember a year and a half is a small price for the enjoyment of a beautiful smile for a lifetime!

cstubb

#15 Post by cstubb »

I'm excited to see how everything comes out for you as my bday is 8-10. GOOD LUCK MONDAY!! +\+