almost done

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rhonda30

almost done

#1 Post by rhonda30 »

My saga began about 8 months ago during a "routine" dental checkup. My dentist expressed some concern over the shifting of my teeth and believed that in order to preserve my teeth in their natural state (in my mouth as opposed to in a jar) he reccomended I see an ortho. Being 50 something the thought of braces as an adult seemed like an OK idea for other adults but I was a mature adult. He made his case and a week later I was in the chair with a young woman orthodontist and her friendly staff confirming my dentist's opinion.

I was very impressed with her professionalism and agreed to proceed with the treatment plan. Initially I voiced my desire for invisalign. She said unfortunately I was not a candidate. I then decided on clear brackets and she decided on metal. Her argument was that the metal would work faster and better than the ceramic. I liked the idea of faster so she won that argument. (15 to 18 months was the estimated sentence)

On my next appointment I got to experience the biting into quicksand that hardens onto your teeth. The tech wrestled it from my mouth and it felt like my teeth were coming with it. Photos and x-rays done and just before departing, no worse for wear, she said that the only thing left to do was the small separators. The tiny little aqua rubber rings were placed between my back molars. She warned me that the separators would be uncomfortable for a couple of days but that the discomfort would subside.

Two days later the tiny separators felt like snow tires jammed between my teeth. How could those little rings make eating a bananna a painful experience. I didn't want to sound like a coward but I thought I had a made a terrible mistake and called Pam the treatment co-ordinator. I told her that I didn't think that I could deal with the "discomfort" for 18 months. She laughed and reassured me that many patients thought the separators were the worst part of the braces experience and the actual appliances were not so terrible.

The next week I was back in the chair. I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be because I think I was more excited about the separators being removed than the braces going on. The process was pretty easy after the molar bands were forced on-forced off-then glued and forced on again. With the lip spreaders in place I couldn't feel the brackets being put on. It was sorta weird I could see they were working on my teeth but I couldn't feel anything. Once the spreaders were removed I then realized the brackets were in place. The first time I closed my lips it felt like 20 little metal hands trying to keep my lips from closing.

I left the office with a goodie bag and a sinking feeling of a 50 something woman with a neon metal sign in my mouth. Several checks in the rear view mirror confirmed it was not a dream.

Eight months later I will admit that the discomfort with the separators was worse than most of the pain associated with the braces. There have been many times when I wish I could just take them off, at least for a while but so far I think the experience will be worth saving my teeth.

At my last appt I was given elastics to wear 24/7. I have to wear four of them in a weird configaration. I told the ortho there isn't many more gadgets she could fit into my mouth. She said something about headgear and laughed. I think she was kidding. When I asked if we were on schedule for 15 months she replied wearing braces was like baking cookies. The reciepe calls for 20 minutes in the oven but individual ovens vary and the cooking time may be a little longer. Now I don't want to watch the cooking channel.

I will post a photo when I figure out how.

[img]
Last edited by rhonda30 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Laurie

#2 Post by Laurie »

Rhondsa I love your story! :lol: Looking forward to hearing more from you!

TracyFace

#3 Post by TracyFace »

Hi Rhonda!

I really loved reading your story. :) Your writing style is so comfortable... Can't wait to hear more about your journey.

So glad to hear that you thought the spacers were the worst part of your treatment. I just got my uppers braced and four spacers put in yesterday, and I'd like to rip my molars out just to stop the throbbing! :cry:

But, if you made it through... so can I! Thanks for the encouragement!

rhonda30

#4 Post by rhonda30 »

Tracyface: I'm sure you are not as big a woos as I am and the separators will be gone before you know it. So far the rest of the journey has been OK with a couple of speed bumps along the way. Hang in there and enjoy the journey and be thankful that you didn't wait as long as I did to begin the process.

KK: thanks for the kind words. I wish my ortho had the confidence in ceramic. It would make for a little more enjoyable first meetings on social engagements. As for my elastics, they really don't hurt but the pressure is almost constant. I'm still getting used to them. I feel like I have so much rubber in my mouth I should have Goodyear stamped on my forehead.

The format on my photos is different so I'm still trying to figure it out.

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

rhonda - your story was a great read. Welcome to the club. Regardless if you're in metal or ceramics, we're all in it for the long haul. We suffer the same pains and emotions ranging from being happy to wanting to pull the dang things off. You can express anything you feel about these braces on here and we will read it.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

rhonda30

photo?

#6 Post by rhonda30 »

I'm attempting to post a photo but at the rate I'm going my braces will be history before the photo is posted. (Approximately 10 months left on my sentence) I think the below link will work.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb31 ... onda30.jpg

rhonda30

Eureka, another photo!

#7 Post by rhonda30 »

I think that I have finally figured this out. This photo is a closeup of my convoluted elastic configuration.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb31 ... da30-3.jpg

roadster1200xl

#8 Post by roadster1200xl »

Hi Rhonda, welcome to the club and I hope it all works out for you. I'm sure it will get easier for you as time goes by. I can sympathize with you as I'm 45 and it's usually only kids who are in the office with me.

Lil Sunshine

#9 Post by Lil Sunshine »

Your smile looks beautiful in your pictures. Proof that this is so worth it.
[/url]

Uppers Braced - June 13, 2007
Lowers Braces - June 20, 2007

rhonda30

photos

#10 Post by rhonda30 »

KK: Sorry 'bout the photos. I wrestled with getting them posted and posted the one before it was edited. Won't happen again.

OBG

elastics

#11 Post by OBG »

Welcome aboard.

I liked reading your story and the photos are very nice. I think your teeth look like the braces could be off in no time.

The elastics looked like they were stretched pretty tight and the pressure you feel is understandable.

I look forward to following your progress.

rhonda30

elastic bondage

#12 Post by rhonda30 »

OBG- thanks for the kind words.

I have an appt this week and I'm hoping the she will free me from the elastic bondage. Unfortunately as you are probably aware trying to anticipate what the ortho will do ahead of time is like picking the right lotto numbers.

I have this reoccurring thought that when I get there Thursday she will look at my teeth and tell me that a truly miracleous event has occurred and my teeth are perfecly aligned and the braces will be removed and sent to recycling facility to be remade into a less torturous product. (I can dream can I?)

Thanks again for the kind words and hope to hear from you soon.

tipstar

#13 Post by tipstar »

Welcome and your teeth look great. I just got my bands yesterday so it was nice to your read your post. Good luck with everything

joney

#14 Post by joney »

Hi Rhonda

I think you should change the title of your story as you don't sound woeful at all, you sound very positive. Your teeth look great, I think you may have early release.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

rhonda30

early release

#15 Post by rhonda30 »

Joney,

you are correct I have accepted the fact that I'm probably one of the oldest living specimens of ortho treatment and I have come to grips with the metal look. I think the woe part was more just coping with the news that braces were the most viable option.

I have an appt this week and I going to tell my ortho that both you and I agree that I should be a candidate for an early release.

thanks for the kind words.