Catie's Braces Story-journey to a beautiful wedding smile!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lilc290

Catie's Braces Story-journey to a beautiful wedding smile!

#1 Post by lilc290 »

Hey everyone! :-1
I decided I should start a little journal type thing so I can look back on my progress and get excited about my future smile!

I'm 20 years old and I am getting married October 13, 2007. I've always hated my teeth, but both me and my sister needed braces in high school, and she needed them much more than me so she really needed to go first! Now that I'm on my own I finally have the means to give myself my braces treatment as a wedding gift!

I was absolutely TERRIFIED to go through this. I hated the thought of having braces, and put it off for a very long time. I decided after seeing a picture of myself that it was time to change. I also decided to get braces because my dad has gone through 2 grueling years of having to get implants due to the health of his teeth. I didn't want to have to go through this myself when I got older.

So I went to a few different dentists, orthodontists etc. and found the guy I'd been looking for. He said he could get me to where I wanted to be by the wedding, if I was willing to endure a few months of pain :shock: He's planning on taking them off in late september and giving me temporary vaneers (if needed) for the wedding. Then we will address what else needs to be done after the wedding. He said he'll work with me, but he said he will push to put the bottom braces back on due to my bite. I'm pushing for invisalign on my tops :lol: But it won't be the end of the world if he has to put them all back on.

I bit the bullet and got braces on June 4. I'm not going to lie, I FREAKED out when I first saw myself in a mirror. But after a few calming words from my family and fiance, I felt better. I took some Tylenol and went to bed. The next morning I felt 10 times better, and in this week of having braces each day has been better and better.

It's amazing to me to watch not only my teeth transform, but to watch my entire self transform too. I've never had so much confidence in my life, knowing that I am improving something I don't like about myself. No one notices, my soon to be mother-in-law didn't see them at all when I sat by the pool with her all day on Saturday! This has inspired me to do so many other things before the wedding. I've finally addressed that I'm 20lbs over weight, and am well on my way to getting healthier-I've lost 8 lbs!!

I am so happy I did this, and I don't have an ounce of regret about anything. I can't wait to see the results and smile so big on my wedding day!

Here are a few before pictures:

My permanent K9's did not come in properly and did not push the baby K9's out so they grew in behind--I've been like this since I was 16 years old! I have a class III bite, but my ortho says my jaw looks really good and thinks we won't have a problem at all correcting this without surgery! My midline is also terribly off.

Here are a few pictures from the day I got my braces on!

And here is today, offically one week in braces and I couldn't feel better!

I do not bite down at ALL like I used to, this has been the biggest change I have felt.

Could just me my imagination, but the permanent K9 feels like it has moved forward a bit on its own...maybe because it doesn't have the pressure from the baby tooth keeping it back there anymore?

can't wait to get that other baby tooth out!

I'm so looking forward to posting more pictures here and sharing my journey. Hopefully there's someone out there reading this that will decide to do something positive about their smile! Thanks everyone for reading! Here's to good movement!! :jump:

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

Catie, you have nicey shaped teeth. You're lucky to have found such an uderstanding ortho who is willing to work with you on the braces and wedding thing. I look forward to following your story.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Laurie

#3 Post by Laurie »

Wow, a wedding AND braces! Congrats!

Elyse84

#4 Post by Elyse84 »

Your teeth look lovely and white so you should have a really great end result.

My baby canines never fell out either, but my adults are just stuck in the gum! The ortho thinks that they might fall out by themselves with all the movement that is happening around them, but other than that it's extraction time. If they still don't come down then I have to go down the oral surgery route and pull them down.

My brother has the same problem and he didn't need to force his down so I hope I don't have to either!

*ceramic on top
*silver on bottom

lilc290

#5 Post by lilc290 »

Thank you everyone! Everyone tells me I'm crazy for doing ortho right before my wedding, sometimes I think I've taken on too much-but with each day I feel like a stronger person because of all this!

Elyse84-
I hope everything works out well for your K9's! My ortho just numbed the area and pulled my baby tooth out, it didn't hurt at all, just a little tender the first day or two.

Linda21
-I do really want to continue treatment after the wedding, I'm just hoping there will be another way besides a full mouth of braces again! I'm sure everything will work out just fine!

I do have a question though, as my bite is slowly changing, I find myself speaking differently. I'm having trouble with my top two front teeth, hitting the three front bottom teeth when I talk! I just noticed yesterday I have some small chips in the bottom teeth. These are bad pictures, but I was trying to zoom in on it unsuccessfully :cry:

My ortho did say he would have to shave these teeth slightly for my bottom teeth to "jump" behind the tops. So I don't know if I should be worried about it or not! I have my first adjustment monday, so I will probably just wait until then.

Again, thanks for all your support! :-#)

lilc290

First Adjustment!!

#6 Post by lilc290 »

Hey everyone! :-1

I'm very excited to share about my first adjustment! Things look GREAT! Lots of movement with my bite which I am very happy about! Got a new top archwire, new ligs, and new powerchains on the bottom arch. Things feel tight and a little sore, but that means movement so I'm happy! :dance: But the most exciting news is that in two weeks at my next adjustment, I'm getting my other baby K9 extracted and the two permanent K9's bracketed! YAY!! Which means they will start to move into place which I'm so excited to see. Anyways, just wanted to share some pictures!

Image Before Braces
ImageFirst Adjustment
ImageImageImageImage

Thanks for reading!

hannahwebbo

#7 Post by hannahwebbo »

Congratulations and getting braced and on your soon to be wedding :banana: :banana:

When ive been thinking about getting braces, one of the things that helped me to decide was thinking about my wedding day. Im so shy when it comes to smiling and people looking at me and when i eventually do get married i want it to be the happiest day of my life and not be worrying about people looking at my horrible smile.

The bonus on getting the treatment done will be that i hopefully wont feel self conscious about my smile for the rest of my life, which is so hard to imagine as ive hated it for as long as i can remember.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment, and i hope the run up to the wedding goes smoothly, ill be following your story to see how it goes.

Hannah

lilc290

2nd Adjustment-incredibly painful!

#8 Post by lilc290 »

Hey everyone!

Well I had my second adjustment yesterday, I've been in braces for exactly a month today. The plan was to extract my other K9 baby tooth and bracket the two permanent K9's. Little did I know they planned on placing an open coil (I think that's what they called it). It hurt so incredibly bad I was in tears. The new girl was doing it and it took forever and I was so happy when they were finished. My ortho came in and looked and said nope, its all wrong let me do it again. I was like are you kidding me?! :-+ I've been here for 2 hours and I'm in alot of pain and you have to do that again? I was so angry, but he did it very fast. He made some snide comment about how if I couldn't handle what he did today, I may not be able to handle the "big daddy" wire that will help move my teeth faster for my wedding. I seriously was ready to punch him in the face lol. I can't believe he said that to me...

Anyways, he gave me some tylenol 3's and I went home and slept all afternoon and felt better. My teeth aren't actually that sore today, just a little sensetive. Am I crazy for thinking this procedure was incredibly painful? Am I the only one whose adjustments are horrible? :oops:

Here's some pictures as always

Image me biting down, biggest change so far! Image bracketed both permanent K9's :jump: ImageImageupper arch Image lowers Imagebite side view Image

i decided to get a little color on the bottom, blue powerchains, i think they're pretty cute!

well as always thanks for reading-here's to a better 3rd adjustment! :banana:

lilc290

#9 Post by lilc290 »

Thanks guys, I am feeling much better now that the extraction site has clotted and my mouth has gotten used to this new hardware. I guess I just felt like a wuss that I was in so much pain on Tuesday...I'm a little embarrassed!

Things are moving well! :D

Miss Smiley

#10 Post by Miss Smiley »

OH, the pain from adjustments, I feel you on those. The last adjustment I had was two new wires and wayward being added. I was sweating and had tears but I didn't say much. It gets a little better after you get used to the wires being changed. I too had a new girl and whoa... I didn't give her any grief figuring that she'll catch on.

I forgot to mention before but the canines behind your teeth, they looked kind of cute, like a secret vampire. "I vant to sawk your blud, MUHAHAHAH!!!!" I guess it's just because I like vampirey things. I'll be sad to see them go.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

lilc290

#11 Post by lilc290 »

Miss Smiley- my fiance said the exact same thing as you-he thinks vampire fangs are sexy lol. But they made me feel uncomfortable and I was embarrassed by them.

It's good to know that other people tear up in the chair when it hurts like I do!

CarpeDiem

:)

#12 Post by CarpeDiem »

Good luck with your braces! :D I'm glad you are getting the chance to correct something that bothers you before your wedding day.

I just got my braces on in January.. right now i've had them on 7 months and i've got 20 months to go! :? My boyfriend and I are getting ready to take that next big step but I refuse to until my teeth are done! :P

BracesRacer

#13 Post by BracesRacer »

What I really hate is when they cut the wire in the back while its in your mouth to get off the excess... the shock from that just travels across the whole wire and i can feel it in all my teeth... not a fan of that no sir. I always eat a really good big meal before adjustments cause i know i am not going to enjoy eating for the next day or so.

lilc290

Adjustment #4

#14 Post by lilc290 »

Hey everyone!

Well, today I had my 4th adjustment. It went alright I suppose. I got a new open coil, new archwire, a biteplate, and elastic ties to my K9's. Alot of new stuff going on! I made a post in the Metal Mouth Forum about my biteplate, its causing me all kinds of trouble and pain!

Here's some pics of all the new hardware!

Image me biting down with the biteplate
Image top arch with biteplate
Imagebiting down without the biteplate
Image Left K9 with elastic ties
Image Right K9 with elastics

cwatt1

#15 Post by cwatt1 »

Hi Catie,

A belated CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming October wedding! I think its great you're taking these steps to improve something that's always bothered you. Doesn't sound like your last adjustment was too much fun, but like the one before I'm sure you will adjust :!: As KK always points out, NEVER FORGET WHY YOU'RE DOING THIS! I would add that you're giving yourself a precious gift -- a better, healthier, and happier you!

Best of luck!

Click here to read about my progress.