UK Mark's story - 15th adjustment, 68 weeks

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hannahwebbo

#121 Post by hannahwebbo »

Hi Mark

Its great to hear that your 6th adjustment went well and that your sporting a nice, new thicker wire.

Here to future progress :-88

Hannah x

markybwoy

More metal

#122 Post by markybwoy »

I had to bring my 7th adjustment visit forward one week earlier, so I've now done 30 weeks!

I got a new square wire on the uppers to match the lowers, a powerchain on the 5 lowers and a funny coil thing across the upper incisor that's off the wire. The idea is to close up the lowers with the powerchain and to push apart those two either side of my lonely incisor.

Anyway, here's my 30 week pic

I've also been busy lately, I've got a new job that I'm really looking forward to. It's going to be something new to learn and also going to take me to lots of places with a fair bit of travel. I wasn't in the slightest bit self-conscious about all those job interviews flashing my metal mouth. This whole experience has been a huge boost for my self confidence and I wouldn't change a thing!

It might be a struggle to schedule future adjustment visits while travelling a lot more for work, but I'm sure I'll manage.

Keep smiling!
- Mark

markybwoy

#123 Post by markybwoy »

Just thought I'd check in and report that I love my powerchain! Its been on two weeks and already one lower gap has all but gone completely. I can't fit my space invader brush in there any more. Now I'm going to have to floss that one instead!

I love how the inside of my new lower teeth feel to my tongue. It sort of sweeps around all smooth - this is an unusual sensation for me and I really, really like it! It doesn't feel like my mouth even!

:D

Beckster

#124 Post by Beckster »

Mark,

Congrats on such great progress! Here's to that continuing!

~Becky
"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."-Albert Camus

hannahwebbo

#125 Post by hannahwebbo »

Hi Mark

Your teeth are looking so great, you must be so pleased?

Wow :shock: that powerchain sounds like an amazing piece of equipment, closing up a gap within two weeks is fantastic. I cant wait until the inside of my arches feel nice and smooth. They feel all jaggedy at the mo.

Congratulations on the new job by the way, that really is exciting news. i moved to a different position within my office a few months ago and i love my job now as i got to learn new things and deal with new challanges. i hope it goes well for you and you dont find it too hard scheduling your appointments.

All the best

Hannah x

choccyface

#126 Post by choccyface »

Hi Mark,

I'm in the UK too, are your braces on the NHS? Mine are and I feel very lucky as the cost would probably be beyond me.

I have a love/hate relationship with my powerchains, love the effect they are having on my teeth and how they look when they are first put on but hate the colour they go after certain foods and drinks, namely curries and mango smoothies! I think I will be in them for quite a long time yet though :S

Your pics look really good, lots of movement and your front teeth look really straight now :)

Good luck with the rest of your treament.

Sarah x

choccyface

#127 Post by choccyface »

Whoops - double post :lol:

markybwoy

#128 Post by markybwoy »

Hi! Yeah, my treatment is paid for privately and yes you are lucky to get NHS treatment. It does make a difference where you live in the country and how happy you are being on a waiting list. The NHS publish a document called the IOTN (Index Of treatment Need) if your case doesn't fit into this category - you're not getting treated by the government! Google it for the gory details.

Anyway, I see what you mean about the powerchain. It was marvellous at first but it has been a b*gger to keep clean and I have some staining that I'm not happy with. I'd go and see my ortho but work sent me to Vancouver for a few weeks so I can't :( I'd really like the chain replaced or at least a professional clean-up but I can't get another Canadian dentist that would be ridiculous, I already have three full time professionals looking after my teeth!!!

Sandista

#129 Post by Sandista »

Hi Mark,

Your teeth look amazing - such great progress!! :D

If you're having problems with your powerchain staining, you may want to try another color. I am in powerchains top & bottom (my treatment is almost done - getting de-braced on April 23rd).

I also have ceramic brackets and hated how my ligs & chains stained from my coffee drinking habit (hey, we all have our vices) because they made my teeth look so tellow, when in actuality they weren't. :wink:

I decided to go with silver powerchains at the risk of them looking like a grille. They are actually not very noticable and they help to resist staining.
I know Lynn, the owner of this site, also mentioned getting smoke colored chains. My ortho did not have this as an options, so silver it was. I actually got the silver chain on 3/17 and the same day ate curry without even thinking about how that would stain. The chains turned a subtle sea foam green color, but it faded back to silver after a few brushings - just in time for my business trip to Los Angeles!

I hope everything goes well for you & good luck trying to find chains that work well for you!

Sandista

DaneAnthony

#130 Post by DaneAnthony »

Hey Mark,

Just read about your journey - amazed at the way some adults (using the word loosely there) treated you. So sad. You're making some awesome progress though. I'm very happy for you! :dance:

Also, I must add that you were right!!! Those spring coils I got put on really do get the teeth a'movin'!!!

Looking forward to your next update! :D

Dane
Next Adjustment: August 20th, 2008 at 5pm

My Story:
[url=http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=24942[/url]

PARR

#131 Post by PARR »

Looking good friend. And yes I completely understand what you mean about feeling the inside of your teeth lining up. Very new and wonderful for me too. (I'm about 5 weeks behind you.)

markybwoy

9th adjustment

#132 Post by markybwoy »

Missed a whole adjustment update as I've been so crazy busy, so skipping to visit number 9... and number 10 is in 3 days time, I am getting behind on my saga :-)

I'm really thrilled that the lonely incisor has now joined the others on the top wire and it has moved a huge distance in the 4 weeks since my last vsit.

here's now they are looking today...

Really coming into shape now!!

Lastest estimate is November 1008 finish.

markybwoy

Adjustment 10

#133 Post by markybwoy »

Adjustment number 10 was quite eventful. Lots of cooing and ooh type sounds as the whole office had a peep at my progress. We took some more photos for my file, had a clean-up and reattached everything. There was some debate about whether to "move up to the next level" but in the end decided to stick with the current wires for another month. He took this grinder thing and did some "smoothing" on the lowers and boy they look so much better.

The upper right premolar gap is now almost completely closed and both front incisors are almost aligned - no overlapping any more yay!

It really takes my breath away when he shows me my old plaster molds. They don't look like my teeth any more!!

You need heaps of patience for this ortho business, but it is well worth it.

markybwoy

One year!

#134 Post by markybwoy »

Oops its been 2 and a half months since my last post. Just been so crazy busy.

In 4 days time it is my braces anniversary - one whole year since I got braced up. I really can't believe it has been a year. It has whizzed by.

On my 11th visit, we started the "finishing" phase. This will take 3-6 months estimated. Probably less for lowers and more for uppers. Visit 13 is in two weeks. All my gaps are gone, everything is in a smooth unjointed curve, I love the way it all feels. I'll post my clinical pics at some point near the end, they take my breath away!

I've been through so much this last year, new home, new job. Braces didn't stop me doing any of it. If I can go to job interviews with my metal mouth, I can do anything I want.

Ortho is beginning to discuss the end of my treatment, he is recommending a little contouring for asthetic reasons and also the whitening at the end. It is in sight!!

Jill52

#135 Post by Jill52 »

Hi Mark, I've just been browsing through your story. It's very inspiring and encouraging for someone like me who's near the beginning of the journey. I was just feeling discouraged because for the last month I haven't seen any movement at all. You cheered me up! I'm sure you will inspire many others and give them the courage to take the plunge. You've certainly had a very eventful year! It must be great to be so near the end. The progress of your teeth looks amazing. Keep posting.

Jill
Braced March 20 2008
12 - 15 months