Alli's Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alliphd

#16 Post by alliphd »

After that 4.5 mile hike, I'm not sure what hurts more - my teeth or my legs! I also had to get in some shopping therapy. :)

I'm doing much better though. I carefully ate some pretzels and cashews on the hike, then had pizza for dinner. A couple of more days and I'm sure I won't even notice they're there.

(Click WWW link for the details!)

platinum

#17 Post by platinum »

In the picture you smile one hardly see the braces!!!!
I will get clear uppers, and I hope they do not ahow too much.

My teeth resembles yours. I had some treatment when i was a kid, but i quitted it, unfortunately.

How long is your treatment plan?

alliphd

#18 Post by alliphd »

platinum - My treatment time is supposed to be about a year. Good luck with your plan!

I went to a cookout tonight and successfully ate a hamburger (tiny bites) and some broken chips. I tried to eat a baby carrot, but that was not so successful, so I stuck to the tomatoes on the veggie tray. Everyone was impressed when they realized I had them gotten them just a couple of days ago and I was eating so much. Some hadn't even noticed the braces, just that I was moving my mouth differently.

alliphd

#19 Post by alliphd »

I can't believe I've had movement already! Unfortunately, it's not the best looking movement. I know the ortho will fix it later, but the gap between 9 and 10 is a lot bigger (OK - a lot bigger to my eyes). :shock: :)

I took some comparison pictures. In the upper arch picture you can see the gap, while in the front picture you can see that the wire has already straightened out some! :D

(Ignore the leftover bit of popcorn that I ate right before these pics!) :oops:
Image Image

I love seeing the progress. My boyfriend asked if I was going to take pictures EVERY day. :roll: Not quite, but at least every month. This is exciting - they're doing what they're supposed to do!! :jump:

On another positive note, the saltwater rinses have been helping like I could never have imagined! I had a bit of a sore throat, so I gargled some too, which helped with that. I've also started using slightly less wax. Now I just have to get this whistling to stop with my talking!

Thanks all for the encouragement, it's been so helpful!! :P

Laurie

#20 Post by Laurie »

Yep, that wire is getting straighter!

alliphd

#21 Post by alliphd »

So it's been a couple of weeks now. I'm mostly used to them, not hurting much anymore except the pressing up against my cheeks when I sleep.

I've had some strange movement though. In addition to the gap I posted about before, that one tooth seems to have been pulled down, and now it's much longer than the other teeth. Not the best pictures, but you can kind of see the idea.

Image Image Image

I kind of wish I was seeing my ortho before August. I'm sure he knows what he's doing and this is part of the grand plan, but it makes me nervous... :?

alliphd

#22 Post by alliphd »

I've been traveling and then super busy at work for the past few weeks, so I figured it was time for a quick update. My first month has flown by, but it's still a daily struggle to be happy about having my braces. I cannot wait until they are off!

I took some 1 month pictures, so I'll post them (day 1 - 2 weeks - 1 month):
Image Image Image

I'm still not very thrilled with my left lateral being so out of place. I've made an early appointment with my ortho for Tuesday to check my bonding, since it's worn down and I'm biting the lower braces. I'm planning to ask him about the lateral then, just to make sure. :)

On a much more exciting note, I have some additional hardware to show off:

On July 3, I got engaged! :D We haven't set a date yet, because we're waiting to find out where he gets into medical school. At the earliest, the wedding will be late next summer, and if all goes well my braces will be off by then.

Anyway, enough of the updates - I'll post back after my appt on Tuesday.
Last edited by alliphd on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alliphd

#23 Post by alliphd »

Thanks all! I admit I did pick out the ring back in December. Well, the setting at least. The center diamond was my mom's original diamond, before she got a new ring several years ago. It was the longest time ever waiting for him to finally propose, and I pretty much drove him crazy about it, but he did an excellent job! :-9

You can see the stones a little bit better in this picture:

KK - You're right, my left is the one I meant! :editing the post: :oops:

I saw my ortho today for the maintenance:
- To fix the biting problem, I got some more bonding put on. He said it's pretty common for it to wear away since it's softer than a normal tooth, and to come in anytime I feel like it's too low.
- The lateral is fine, he said he'll put it back into place later.
- To fix the poking wire, they put some clips on the wire in between the canine and first bicuspid on each side on top, clipping the back wire. They usually keep the wire long to allow it to move around, but mine has moved enough that they thought fixing it would be fine.

New pictures to show the improved and opened bite,

and the crooked lateral and the wire clip:

alliphd

#24 Post by alliphd »

I suppose it's time for an update. I've been MIA for a while due to classes, research, and just plain being busy. :crazy:

Anyway, I had my 2nd adjustment a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty uneventful, just got some new wires and more clips. I did get my ortho to assure me that my braces will be off by next summer, so I'm good to plan my wedding if I want. :D
We still haven't set a date, but my fiance has several exciting medical school interviews, and I'm praying hard for the best.

I've got some some notable movement:
  • I have a matching gap on my right side in between the front and lateral.
    My top canines have rotated into place.
    Bottom front teeth are getting much straighter.
    And most important: my bite feels SO much better! Not nearly as much popping as I had before.
As always, here are pictures:
Image Image Image

alliphd

#25 Post by alliphd »

I know I've posted this in the Metal Mouth Forum, but it's probably about time that I update my story as well.

I'll start with the fun personal news - I'm getting married on December 16, on the Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas!! We had originally planned to have the wedding later in the summer, or even several years later depending on school plans, but we decided we were ready and tired of waiting, so we're going to have a small but amazing ceremony on the cruise ship! :-9

As far as my braces are concerned, I had an appointment this afternoon with my ortho for an adjustment and to discuss temporary removal. To my excitement, he said no problem! I'll meet with him in about a month to make sure things are looking good, and then he'll take the top brackets off about a week before the wedding, and I'll wear a retainer until after the honeymoon and Christmas are over and he can put them back on. It'll cost $75, but SO worth it to me!! He also gave me a power chain to close up some of my goofy looking gaps so that I can have a beautiful smile for all of my pictures. :mrgreen:

That's about it - I'm not posting pictures because the changes are fairly minor since the last adjustment. Mostly I'm just really happy about getting married soon and having the braces off for just a little while. :)

alliphd

Update

#26 Post by alliphd »

Yay - a new update! So I have less than 2 weeks before my wedding, and I couldn't be more thrilled with my orthodontist!!

First of all, he's got to be getting tired of me by now! I went in twice to get a new power chain because I kept accidentally staining mine. I tried to be good about coffee and some foods, but the first time carrots turned them bright orange, and the second time I wasn't thinking and ate a hot dog with mustard! :oops:

Anyway, I went in for a pre-debanding checkup last week, and he bent my wire to pull the crooked lateral into shape and added the power chain to my canines as well to make sure everything would be beautiful before he took them off.

Today I went to visit him to have my tops debanded! He ended up taking off the top front 8, and he took impressions for a little essix retainer for while they're off. Originally he had quoted me $75 for the process, but when I tried to pay today he said not to worry about it, this would be my wedding present from him!! :D

I can't even describe how happy I am right now! I'll post pictures later this afternoon!! :) :)