Maryjays STORY - 11 Wks Post Op - *BRACES ARE OFF!!!* PICS

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

maryjay

Maryjays STORY - 11 Wks Post Op - *BRACES ARE OFF!!!* PICS

#1 Post by maryjay »

Hi there fellow brace buddies, ive been wearing braces for TWO years today! :-#) :-**
I cant remember what its like not to have braces its been so long, but the good news is that i should have them off by the summer, and the not so good news is i have lower jaw surgery next Tuesday (27th Feb) and i am nervous,... and excited, that this part will soon be over, and then hopefully it will be a home run from there on.

Firstly a few details on me, i have a horrible openbite that i have hated for as long as i can remember, which is why at the age of 30 i am wearing braces and going though with surgery to fix it.
I have lots of friends that are all wondering why im having this done, and a very supportive boyfriend who hasnt minded kissing a braceface for the last two years... hopefully it wont be too long before i can kiss him again!

All i want to achieve is for my lips to close naturally... before i had my braces, when i looked in the mirror all i could see was this two huge bucked teeth staring back at me, they stuck out over my bottom lip and my lips dont naturally meet because of this.

After 2 years i am impressed with what the braces have achieved, my front teeth have moved back (enough that i no longer longer need upper jaw surgery... i was going to have both jaws done)
and i dont look as goofy as i did, my front teeth no longer over shadow the others.
although my openbite is still huge, but i know this is really for the surgery to sort out... ( I am able to bite my teeth together and i can still stick my tongue out in-between!)

here are some pics of me now, i will try to take after surgery pics too for you to see, and i will document on the following (as this is what concerns me):
Swelling,
Bruising,
Pain,
Amount of time off work,
Eating capabilities,
Talking
Kissing!!! - i have prepared boyfriend for worst case scenario.. months of no kissing but possible dribbling! Ugh!

ive never had to go to hospital before, and im nervous, but im trying to think ahead to achieving that nice smile, and im sure any pain and discomfort in the weeks ahead will be worth it for a lifetime of straight teeth!

Last edited by maryjay on Mon May 14, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 14 times in total.

flesh-was-sweet

#2 Post by flesh-was-sweet »

Hi maryjay !

Your teeth are looking GREAT!

I too had the option of surgery but I decided that I just wanted my teeth to be straight - well done you on making the decision to have surgery though!

I hope it goes brilliantly well, and I look forward to seeing pics of your fab smile post-op!

Anni :)

maryjay

#3 Post by maryjay »

hi flesh-was-sweet and KK,

thanks for your kind words, i think my teeth are pretty much straight and lined up with each other now,... as they should, ive been braced for 2 years!!!
before, my two front teeth were longer and jutted horribly forward over my bottom lip, they just over powered my whole face (well thats how it made me feel).

now it just to sort out the jaw position,... bringing the lower jaw forward.... cant wait for the end result!

going into hospital on monday....nervous, but I am about to go out and spend the whole weekend eatting really difficult food ie: steak! and having fun, drinking, eating lots, and not worrying about the calories! :banana:

ema27

#4 Post by ema27 »

Hi maryjay just thought i would wish you the very best of look for your lower jaw surgery.i will be going through the same thing early next year.Heres hoping for a speedy recovery.all the best-ema :D

maryjay

#5 Post by maryjay »

Hi,
going into hospital tomorrow. just kissed my boyfriend goodbye, wont see him again untill the end of the week, the hospital is 3 hours away from my home, so not gonna see friends or family for three/four days. i am nervous, but i think im more nervous about the aftermath of the pain, swelling bruising the next couple of weeks will bring.

ive got my smoothie maker ready to blend stuff up, ive got ice, yogurt, ice cream, rice pudding, custard, fruit to blend up, milk, soup.
im hoping when i get home a will manage to go for short walks everyday, ive got lots of DVDS to watch, my mattress on my bed has been proped up at the top for my return. I think if i can get though this week it will all be ok.

i dont think im goiing to sleep that well tonight, but i will try..... positive thoughts positive thoughts, im going to have a great smile in a couple of months time.
i will post post op pics when i can, and update my progress :BigGrin:
thanks you for the good wishes

-Michael-

#6 Post by -Michael- »

Good luck maryjay! You are going to have the absolute best smile in the world after this is all done. Not a bad way to go through life ;)

Wishing a speedy recovery and many good smoothies!

-Michael-

maryjay

#7 Post by maryjay »

right! got my bag packed, leaving for hospital first thing tomorrow...
See you guys on the other side!!! :-1

BillN

#8 Post by BillN »

Maryjay,

Not sure you'll see this before your surgery but here's wishing you a great outcome! Looking forward to seeing your "post-surgery" updates as I'm right behind you surgery-wise.

-Bill

maryjay

#9 Post by maryjay »

Hi guys, 48 hours after surgery and im back home, and i have to say that the whole experience wasnt as bad as i thought it would be.
Firstly the anticipation of the surgery was much worse than the surgery itself, so for anyone yet to have this done please dont try and focus on it too much. (i know its easier said than done!)

26th Feb: i went into hospital (monday), they didnt have any beds for me, so i had to sleep in a house on the grounds of the hospital (a place where relatives stay) this turned out to be a blessing in disguise as i was put into a normal room in a normal house i wasnt freaked out about being in a hospital environment.
...........................................................................................

27th Feb: Surgery Day
: I packed up and had to be back in the waiting room for 7am, i was 1st in line for surgery that morning (8am) and at 7.30 i was told that there still wasnt a bed for me so i got changed into my gown in a cupboard! I thought this would be ok because i was shortly going for surgery, however, 3 hours later im still sat there, (no bed for me and the surgery is delayed due to the surgeons deciding they have to operate on a couple of other people first! I am so mad a this point all my fear is gone, 12.15 i get given a bed... 12.20 i am asked to walk down to theatre.

I remember the needle going into my hand, and being asked if i feel sleepy to which i answer no,....

3pm i am nudged awake and burst into tears, my mouth is so dry as be this point i havent had any fluids for about 20 hours, apart from this i dont really feel much pain, and after 5 minutes ive stopped crying and am wheeled back to the ward.... to my own room! Hurrah!... so much better than a cupboard!

6pm, i have to be honest hear, im really not in any pain at all, i wasnt expecting this. Yes my jaw feels sore, but it feels like when you get your braces on for the first time and for the first week or so your mouth is really sore, and its difficult to eat, well, it feels twice as bad as that. Its just very uncomfortable rather than painful.

6.30pm, ive looked in the mirror,... my face is huge! I dont feel as bad as i look, so ive been shocked by my reflection, i look like The godfather / hurman munster / david coulthard....what im trying to say hear is that my lower face / chin is HUGE!

The good news... i have no bruising...(that i can see) i can feel my chin, i have a very slight tingling in my bottom lip and the tip of my tongue, but only very slight. If 100% is normal my lip and tongue are 99% normal feeling (awesome!)
................................................................................................

28th feb: 6.30am (next morning) woken up to be given lots of pills, and given very milky porridge.
Seriously, there is no pain just a massive uncomfortable face !

2.30pm given a check up by my surgeon, he said that the surgery has gone so well i dont need to have my mouth banded together! Yipheee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

3.00pm given a big bag of pills (antibiotics, painkillers, steroids and mouthwash) and on my way home.

..............................................................................................
1st march: think my swelling peaked yesterday, i look about 5% less swollen,.. or am i fooling myself? This is the worst part, i will just not look in the mirror for a few days because my reflection is really shocking me every time, but the worst is over now.

Its now 48 hours later and to sum up the whole experience was a lot less of a nightmare than i was expecting, i think the surgeons like to paint a worst case scenario so you are prepared for the worst. Hears my summary so-far:

Bruising – ive been told i have a little yellow bruising on the sides of my chin, but i cant see it.
Swelling – yes very very swollen
kissing – kissed my boyfriend and hurrah it felt normal! -(of course too early for anything more than a peck)!
Sleeping – ok, wake up every couple of hours, but soon fall back to sleep, (i hate sleeping on my back!) lots of pillows are very helpful
Pain – not really any, just uncomfortable – oh and a bit if a sore throat
Eating – soup yoghurt, milkshake (not dribbling to much either)
Talking – i sound normal, i think its good to keep talking (excerise the jaw) when i havent spoken for a while thats when my jaw feels sore

i am so proud of myself for going though with this and i dont think my experience could have gone any better considering,
so im really happy, and i can wait to see the end result. I hope this helps anyone who is yet to have surgery.

maryjay

#10 Post by maryjay »

both these pictures are before and 24 hours after surgery
as you can see lots of swelling but very light bruising, it doesnt even show up on carmera

M1k3y

#11 Post by M1k3y »

Hang in there. The end results will be spectacular.
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

misskristen

Looking good!

#12 Post by misskristen »

Wow MaryJay, what a difference! You'll look fabulous once the swelling goes down. Your profile already looks adorable!

Kristen
http://bracemyself.blogspot.com/

ema27

#13 Post by ema27 »

Congrats maryjay for coming through jaw surgery :D :D thanks for posting as its good to see the shots after surgery.so very pleased that you arent feeling much discomfort! i hope my surgery goes as smoothly.all the best and hope your swelling and bruising goes soon.Well done you-ema :D

nvcarissa

#14 Post by nvcarissa »

Before you know it your swellling will be gone and you will have a beautiful new profile. Congratulations!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

maryjay

#15 Post by maryjay »

hey guys thanks for all your good wishes,

just an update to my progress, the swelling has gone down about 30% in the last three days, i know this is gonna take a while, i just keep looking in the mirror expecting it to be gone, but no, there it is!

i have bruising which peaked fri/sat - 3-4 days after, its mostly yellow (but as ive got olive skin its hardly showing), it runs from the corners of my mouth down my neck. and thats it, im happily surprised as i thought i bruised easily.

as for pain, im coping fine, it definitely more uncomfortable than painful

I cant wait for the swelling to all go, i wanna see what my new smile is like, ive been trying to smile in the mirror but my mouth cant move that much,........ and i just look stoopid!!! :BigGrin: