Mel & her Teeth -- 2 YEARS!! -- New pics 23 Nov 08!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

overseasmel

Mel & her Teeth -- 2 YEARS!! -- New pics 23 Nov 08!

#1 Post by overseasmel »

Hey everyone. Braces on tomorrow (and expander finally off!!). Wish me luck! I'll put photos on in a couple of days.
Last edited by overseasmel on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 30 times in total.

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

overseasmel

Pics before braces (but after expander) and Day 1 of braces

#2 Post by overseasmel »

Before braces (but after expander for 8 months):

Image ImageImage
Image Image

Day 1 of braces:

ImageImage
Image Image
Last edited by overseasmel on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

overseasmel

Thanks guys!

#3 Post by overseasmel »

Thanks Karen and Linda. So far it's been a breeze compared to the expander. I can feel it all there but it doesn't exactly hurt and the food habits are really similar to post SARME and having the expander so not a lot of adjustment required there. In fact I only really notice the bottom (metal) braces as I have had something up the top for such a long time now it just feels normal!

The main thing was having to spend 4 hours in the chair. It took a while to get the expander and the glue off, then they decided to put 8 of those metal rings around the back teeth instead of 4, which took some time. I was famished by the time I got out of there at 2.30pm!! :)

Something I was wondering for all those veterans out there- how long does it normally take to start seeing some differences? I did read a post on here once about that but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks again for everyone's support.

overseasmel

2 days down

#4 Post by overseasmel »

Two days since B-day and I'm loving my braces. Despite my concerns about feeling self-conscious I find that I really just don't care! My face is still puffy and swollen and my cheeks hurt a bit, but the inside of my mouth feels fine and the brackets and wires don't bother me at all. As for the eating thing- well, if the expander prepared me for anything it was to live happily on soft foods, to the point where I barely notice that's all I'm doing. The thought that I can probably eat something a bit harder occurs to me every now and then, but can't say I've felt the need to go there yet!

This is actually quite the buzz. I wish I could see difference in my teeth already, but I am sure that will come. :wink:

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

Wow, the expander really gave you a nice wide upper arch. I really like the look of a wide arch.

There's plenty of space for your teeth to move into line now I'm fairly sure it won't take long before you start seeing progress.

Keep us updated and...

WELCOME aboard!! :-1
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Joanna20

#6 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey girl! Your teeth aren't that bad at all! Just your canines that need alignment - most of us have 4 or more crooked teeth per arch so consider urself lucky! And the expander seems to have done a great job!
I trully wish you good luck with everything, and keep us updated as much as you can!
As for me it took me about 2 weeks untill I saw some difference. But you can be different, if can be sooner or later than that! But they will move eventually, I know how anxious u must be - we all do!

Chat soon,

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

overseasmel

One week down

#7 Post by overseasmel »

Thanks Joanna, so nice of you. My bottom teeth are a bit all over the place too though, but I guess that gives me good room for improvement!

So anyway, I've been braced for a week. I have been amazed at how easy and pain-free it has been. I really haven't noticed them at all. The only thing has been if I suck through a straw- I have 8 bands rather than 4, so there are lots of hooks etc sticking out at the back there, and if I suck in my cheeks things aren't too comfortable. But hey, I don't use a straw often so it's all okay.

My only small disappointment is that it has been a week but I haven't seen any movement yet. I took some pics today to compare, and if I squint and turn my head to the left (!), there's maybe been a 0.2 mm move in one of my canines, but that's all.

Also, I don't feel any of the "tell-tale signs" of movement either, which is a shame. I know they will eventually move, and I shoudn't get impatient or down about it, but I was hoping my little guys would be sprinters rather than marathon runners.....

Go teeth go!!

overseasmel

#8 Post by overseasmel »

Hi Meryaten- yes, 4 hours was a long time to be in the chair! I had been told it was going to be 2.5, so I brought a ipod to listen to, which turned out to be well worth it. The hardest part really though was I was starving! I walked out and ate straight away, which was a rapid introduction for the braces.

:D

overseasmel

teeth are now touching together differently!

#9 Post by overseasmel »

I think I feel "signs" of movement! I can't really see any difference, but my teeth feel like they are definitely touching together in different places. I'm excited!

overseasmel

First adjustment in two days!

#10 Post by overseasmel »

So, my first adjustment is in two days! I'm excited. I can definitely see changes in my teeth, primarily:

1. the gap between my front teeth got bigger
2. my naughty canines have come down a bit (although they are still protruded)

This first month in braces has gone really well. Bit of the old cut jaw, but ah well, what do you expect?! Wax helps some of course, but I think I need a little wire trim this visit.

Also, as I mentioned I have 8 bands not 4, all with hooks. The ortho put 8 on as my spacers had made enough space for it and he was going to have to do it eventually anyway. BUT he is not using the hooks for anything now and I don't think will until a few months in. I was wondering if there is something I can ask for to cover up the hooks so they don't dig in so much?? The ones on the most rear of my upper molars in particular are a bit of a problem.

Something else for this visit: coloured ligs. I am leaning towards a darkish purple, but we shall see what I come up with when confronted with the colour selection for the first time!!

Wish me luck! :HugeGrin:

overseasmel

#11 Post by overseasmel »

I'm so excited! I just had my first adjustment!! So, what happened?:

1. I changed ligs from clear to metallic purple. My ortho thinks I have lost my mind, but to be honest I'm not sure he ever thought I had it! ;)
2. They trimmed that horrible upper right wire. He said it was much longer than when they put it on, which indicated good movement.
3. They told me they couldn't do much about the hooks, as they have bent them in for people before but they have a tendency to snap when pulled back out. :(

I took some pics, but the camera battery died. I have posted the only pic that sort of worked before it died (compare it to my original pic 4 weeks ago on right):

Image Image

I shall take more pics when I get home and recharge it. :D

*** SEE BOTTOM OF PAGE FOR FULL PICS AND SOME COOL PRE-TREATMENT COMPARISONS ***
Last edited by overseasmel on Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Brace Face

#12 Post by Brace Face »

Wow, what a difference in only one month!!! :D

overseasmel

Thanks Guys!

#13 Post by overseasmel »

Thanks guys! Always good to know people are interested in your progress. :D

(And yes well I think my ortho is a bit insane, so its fair I guess :P)

Here are all the rest of the pics from Month 1, Adjustment 1:

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

I haven't included Day 1 pics as you can see them on page one. What I did think was interesting though is that I found the mould they gave me which they had used to design the expander, and this gives you an idea of my arch before everything (SARPE, expander) had begun! Oo how exciting! See how mini my arch was compared with a pen-lid!!

ImageImageImage
Last edited by overseasmel on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlahBlah

#14 Post by BlahBlah »

Aye ur canines have moved quite abit... ur teeth are looking great!! :D

chrisd

#15 Post by chrisd »

really dig those colore ligs. looks like your making nice progress ;-)
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months