Mel & her Teeth -- 2 YEARS!! -- New pics 23 Nov 08!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

overseasmel

6 Months!

#31 Post by overseasmel »

It's been six months! Time seems both fast and slow. Going well, but open bite is getting a little worse (on its way to getting better, of course!). Here are some pics of now:

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

:D

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

jennielee81

#32 Post by jennielee81 »

Wow, they're looking fantastic!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Elyse84

#33 Post by Elyse84 »

Am so jealous. I have had my braces for just over 4 months and I don't see nearly as much change as you - my front gap hasn't closed at all from what I can tell.

Your teeth are looking great!

*ceramic on top
*silver on bottom

overseasmel

#34 Post by overseasmel »

A couple of weeks ago it was my nine month anniversary. I was very excited about this, and things have been going well.

The major new development in the last couple of months has been elastics. I have been wearing a box at the front (front 4) and class II and class III on the sides. These were for 24/7.

After my most recent adjustment (this Monday), the ortho said I had been going well and only needed to wear the elastics on the right side 12 hours a day now. The others are still 24 hours, but he said I could be a little more lax with the front box if I wanted. I am used to them now though so I said I was happy to keep them on if it gave me a better result.

My dilemma now is about extractions. To get them, or not to get them? I have posted relevant pictures and explanation at this post: viewtopic.php?t=21043&highlight= Please (pretty please!) go there and give me your words of wisdom and advice. :)

More generally though, here are my 9 month pics:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image

And here are some pics from the end of month 1, i.e. 8 months ago:

Image Image Image Image Image

You can also compare them with the 6 month pics at the top of this page. I think it shows good progress with my bite.
:D

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

hannahwebbo

#35 Post by hannahwebbo »

Hi Mel

Ive just read your story and ive got to say that your teeth are looking fantastic. They really have changed so much.

My ortho advised me to have my four first premolars taken out as that would help to pull my teeth backwards (i have an 8mm overjet). And i dont mind losing those four teeth as long as it makes a difference in my smile. I have all the rest of my teeth so i think that losing four isnt such a big deal. I cant tell you my experience as i havent had it done yet.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment and making your decision on the extractions

Hannah x

sjsarre

#36 Post by sjsarre »

WOW - fantastic progress...

MissDiana

#37 Post by MissDiana »

WOW, what unreal progress!:shock:

Your teeth are looking fantastic.
Braces on 4/4/07 -
Braces off 3/31/08!

joney

#38 Post by joney »

Hi Mel

You've been in braces about the same length of time as me. Your teeth are looking fantastic. Good luck with your decision. My daughter was in a similar position with slight flaring and offered the option of going for 4 extractions which in the end we decided against. However she has been left with a good bite and a fantastic smile. The good bite bit is very important I think, the effect on profile is something that you should discuss further with your ortho.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

overseasmel

#39 Post by overseasmel »

Thanks everyone. I am very happy with my progress and once I make a final decision about this whole extraction issue I'll be happy. Still to'ing and fro'ing a bit. I had myself convinced I wasn't going to extract and then when I saw my ortho today he seemed to really prefer me to have it done. I guess he's a perfectionist!

My bite is close to right though so there'd be no worries there either way- it's just the aesthetic/ profile thing. I wish I could time travel and see pictures of myself either way!! :)

Mel

cwatt1

#40 Post by cwatt1 »

Hi Mel!,

Just read your blog and also your other post regarding the extractions. Your teeth look fantastic -- what a difference from when you started! I"m especially impressed with how symmetrical your arches are now.

My own take regarding the extractions: Based only on your photos I think you look great just the way you are right now, and since your ortho has told you there will be no long term ramifications based on your decision, why extract 4 perfectly good teeth? But then again I'm not into perfect aesthetics -- my main concern is correcting my bite.

Click here to read about my progress.

overseasmel

#41 Post by overseasmel »

It is officially one year since my little teethy pegs were braced in for the long haul. It's been a pretty good ride so far- my teeth have moved well and reasonably quickly by adult standards, and pain has been very minimal.

The latest development was the removal of all of my 5s- the right side on October 2 and the left side a week later. As I had some issues with a dry socket my ortho decided to wait a while until trying to close the gaps.

3.5 weeks ago he did start, however, using a powerchain all across the top and "closure chains" at the gap sites at the bottom. Yesterday I had my first appointment to see how these were going. I was very pleased that the first thing the ortho said when he looked in my mouth was "Wow, they're closing fast!". I haven't been measuring, but I would guesstimate that they have gone from about 7-8mm to 5-6mm in that short period. 2mm in 3.5 weeks! I am very pleased indeed.

When I go home tonight I'll try and get someone to take some good clear pics of my teeth as a memento. First anniversary feels like a big deal!

(I'll post them when I've got them)

:-V :-88 :jump: :banana: :jump: :-88 :-V
Last edited by overseasmel on Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

overseasmel

#42 Post by overseasmel »

Finally I have had a moment to upload my one year pics (from almost 3 months ago!). It's actually nice to do these now as I was getting to that point where I was doubting I'd had any progress in the past few months. When I look at these I can see that there have indeed been positive changes recently- and this is on top of the good changes I can see between the 9 month shots and these. :)

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

kittymeow84

#43 Post by kittymeow84 »

Wow looking great! So much change in just a year :)
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

METALMOUTHPOOH

#44 Post by METALMOUTHPOOH »

Looking good :wink:

overseasmel

#45 Post by overseasmel »

I've reached 15 months!

Things are going pretty well. My extraction gaps are closing pretty nicely. Both of the ones at the top are almost closed, one of the lower ones is only about 2mm off and the other one is maybe 3-4mm off.

I am a little bored with wearing four sets of elastics all the time- just annoying to have to take them off every time I eat. Which is often, since I am a grazer. Fortunately at my last adjustment last week I was told I could stop wearing the diagonal one on the left side, so now I am down to three. Hoping to be down to just the boxes on both sides by my next adjustment.

Here are some pics:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

I've got to say, I am loving my upper arch these days- looks pretty perfect to me! :)