UK Mark's story - 15th adjustment, 68 weeks

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Laurie

#91 Post by Laurie »

Well Texas has had it's share of floods this year. In fact they're having one in town right now. Although I do believe the Dallas area is fine right now.

cwatt1

Re: a week acfter 1st adjustment

#92 Post by cwatt1 »

Hi Mark,

Hope everything continues to go well for you. Sounds like you're doing great!

I think you're right about the soreness -- all part of the process. And great that you gap is closing!
I checked at the gym and sure enough 3kg less since I last looked. I eat pretty much normally now except I can't be bothered to eat snacks because of the cleaning afterwards. Pretty cool. I feel good :)
I'm with you. I've lost a bit of weight myself because I can't be bothered with snacking. I'm trying to turn it into a lifelong habit!

Click here to read about my progress.

MommaDucky

#93 Post by MommaDucky »

Mark -

You certainly have made some great progress. I always enjoy reading your posts - keep them coming! You've got a great writing style that is easy-going and good-humored.

I look forward to hearing more about your journey. Hope all is going well!
-Katherine-

see my braces story here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=20273

kiwigirl83

#94 Post by kiwigirl83 »

Hey there :) It's great to read that you are seeing so many changes in your teeth. It's very encouraging to hear!

Know what you mean about the cake- the workshop I was at yesterday had some gorgeous looking chocolate cake but I just couldn't be bothered with the cleaning up. I'm a rampant nibbler as well and loved picking at sweets all day before the braces went on. I miss my toffees but I'm sure that less snacking on sugary stuff will do me the world of good......

Have a great holiday in America- I bet you'll be glad to get away from rainy England!

Rainy

#95 Post by Rainy »

Glad everything is going good mark. I hope my first adjustment is as smooth as yours was. I had to laugh about your weight comment. I was asked today at work also if I had lost some. No idea, I dont weigh myself. I decided hey that meant I was looking okay and just gave them a big old metal smile and walked away....
Like you I am back to eating most of what I ate before minus the unhealthy snacks. I have decided its just not worth the time cleaning my teeth to eat the junk.

Rainy

markybwoy

2nd adjustment looming

#96 Post by markybwoy »

I had an awesome time across the atlantic. So much, I'm planning a return ASAP! I was really, really needing the change of scenery :) I was gutted because Six Flags (rides etc) was closed for winter except weekends. Winter!? It was 100 every day.

I had one embarrassing moment in the bathroom at Chilis. Someone came in and caught me picking my dinner goop out of my braces in the mirror! I got a response, "Ugh, I feel for you buddy." Which I think is actually the nicest thing anyone has ever said to my face about my braces. :)

Before I got my extractions, my ortho said, "don't look so worried, 15 months will go by quickly, I promise." And you know what? - he was right. I can't believe its only 13 more days until adjustment number 2. It's whizzing by so far.

MommaDucky

#97 Post by MommaDucky »

hmm, people certainly can be rude, can't they?

Can't wait to hear how your next adjustment goes!

Hope all is well.
-Katherine-

markybwoy

2nd adjustment

#98 Post by markybwoy »

I had my 2nd adjustment today. It's 10 weeks since I got braced and it has whizzed by so far. It seems more like 10 days!

I got a gasp this time, followed by "whoa look at that!" My ortho says he is pleased and progress on the lowers is really good. I got new ligs on the lowers and the upper adjusted. It feels a little tight on the uppers but nothing major - I just finished a sandwich and it's not sore presently. I also got some minor reshaping on a lower incisor to make them all the same shape to fit together better and to look nicer. The one next to my gap used to have a little point on the corner, now its been rounded and they all match. I'm so excited.

When I run my tongue around my lowers it feels amazing - actually it doesn't feel like my mouth!! Everything is lined up in a curve.

July 2007 :

Sept 2007 :

I asked when my upper incisor will go on the wire and he says that will be many months yet, about half way through probably. The others need to moved slowly down into my premolar gap first.

Next time, I'm getting new pictures taken, "probably" getting a bracket repositioned and... wait for it... "possibly move up to the next strength wire". I'm hoping that means the alignment will be finished on the lowers and we can move onto levelling and then other direction movements.

My pictures don't do me justice really. The receptionist, who is really kind, is going to do me copies of my case file pictures. She showed me the prints that she made from the digi snaps taken before my extractions and on brace day and they took my breath away. She asked me if she could see, so I leaned over the desk and showed her my teeth and all the changes. Before I started doing this, I would never, ever have shown a complete stranger my teeth up close like that without feeling totally self-conscious.

There is progress on the uppers as well even though it is less astonishing to look at than my lowers. A gap of about 1mm has emerged between incisor and canine which shows the uppers are beginning the "shuffling" back.

Even better, next adjustment is in 4 weeks instead of the usual 5 weeks.

Bring it on!!!

Miss Smiley

#99 Post by Miss Smiley »

Au contraire! The pictures do you plenty of justice! I can see how much your teeth have progressed! I'm just going to assume that you're being modest.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

MommaDucky

#100 Post by MommaDucky »

I agree with Miss Smiley, your pictures look stunning! Isn't it amazing how fast the alignment stuff goes? Your arches look fabulous for only ten short weeks in braces!!!

I can relate to what you say about how you would have been super self conscious to show someone your teeth close up before braces - it's the same for me. Now that I've seen some major improvement in the alignment of my teeth, I find myself smiling HUGE smiles these days, and not even thinking about it. I think it's incredible what orthodontic treatment can do for your self esteem.

CONGRATS! Keep up the good work, Mark. Glad to hear from you!!!
-Katherine-

markybwoy

#101 Post by markybwoy »

Hi everybody!

Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement. I appreciate it. :)

So last week I had to travel about 300 miles from home for a few days for work. It's been really busy lately. I had to give a training session to about 10 people. It was about 30 minutes into my presentation before I thought, OMG, I forgot about my braces! I wonder if anyone's noticed?

It just totally slipped my mind. All that worrying about feeling self-conscious earlier this year and now I'm forgetting I'm wearing them, even standing up in front of a bunch of people with all eyes glued to me!

Some progress on uppers to report - my right canine is beginning this 'shuffling back' into the space vacated by my pre-molar. I'd say its a little over 1mm now.

Next adjustment in a little over 1 week's time.

Cheers

chillin-in-grilz

#102 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

awesme changes so faR!
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

MommaDucky

#103 Post by MommaDucky »

Isn't it such a relief when you realise that you don't realise your braces are there anymore? It's a great big monkey off your back once you forget they're in there.... so nice to not worry about trifle things like that.

Awesome progress with that gap in your upper arch! I had all four 1st premolars out, and I keep looking for changes in the gaps in my progress pictures these days. It certainly is nice when they start to close up!

Good to hear from you again -- don't be a stranger! Have a good weekend.
-Katherine-

markybwoy

Tweak No. 3

#104 Post by markybwoy »

I had adjustment visit No. 3 yesterday. Another 45 minutes in the waiting room, but I don't mind - I picked an ortho that didn't rush me, so he's not rushing his other patients either! I try and make my appointments towards the end of the day so I can disappear from work and just sip a cup of tea and make chit chat with the receptionist until it is my turn! I go so often and stay so long, these people feel like my extended family now!

Last visit, he mentioned that he might take some more pictures as the changes are quite striking, but to be honest, I think we ran out of time. There's always next time.

I got two brackets repositioned. Getting those things snapped off is a shocking experience. One flew across the room and hit his assistant in the face! Then we had to go through cleaning the cement off and then re-etching, cementing two new brackets on both upper left premolars. This all took quite a while on top of the usual review work.

My upper wire is now totally straight. On day one it was really quite crooked. It is mind-blowing to think that even though it looks that way, actually, the wire hasn't straightened at all. The wire has stayed still, it's my teeth that have done the moving!!!

Next visit in 4 weeks time and a new wire for the lowers is planned.

Cheers!

Miss Smiley

#105 Post by Miss Smiley »

I'm glad I wasn't in your office for any bracket repos. I might have left with a patch over an eye or something. Nice to hear that you're doing well and that you're forgetting about having the braces.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix