Dramagyrl's Journey- Updated + Plus New Photos Coming

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dramagyrl

First Adjustment!!!

#16 Post by Dramagyrl »

First thing, I edited a post higher up and added some top and bottom before shots which really help to show what nasty crowding I had going on before the braces....

And on to the first adjustment.
It's already been three days, and I'm surprisingly feeling way better than I thought I would. My ortho was really happy with the hygiene and movement he was seeing. I asked about my molar build-ups in the back (I bit a piece off of one a couple weeks ago while I was sleeping). He says they are still doing their job and should be ready to come off soon. No new wires yet, still lots of movement with the ones I have right now, probably by next appointment they will go up a size. This time I picked lavender top elastics and metallic purple on the bottom.
He put a figure 8 elastic on my top tooth to the right of my front teeth (it's been sunken back forever and it's one of the main reasons I really wanted braces). He says the figure 8 will help pull it forward so it is levelled with the other teeth that are cooperating very well. Then he says the tech will finish up and moves on to his next appointment.
I prewarned the tech my teeth were still sensitive and I needed her to be gentle. She had to remove my bottom wire and put a new one in because somehow the centre of the bottom one had shifted over by a whole tooth, which she says might explain the poking I had in my cheeks weeks ago. It was the strangest thing while the wire was out.... all my bottom teeth felt so loose and I was sure as I swallowed, I could feel the whole row shift as though they were pulling back, it was such an odd and kind of funny feeling. She wrapped thin wires around the teeth on each side of my bottom gaps to help close the extraction holes faster (like power chains, but small and probably slower.) It's too bad, because I was seeing so much movement from the teeth that used to be behind the canine in the bottom of my head. There was suddenly a big gap between the two and I used it as a measure that my teeth were for sure moving. Since that wire has been put on though, that space has almost closed up already- I do know it's for a good reason, just sad to see my "first" success measure go.
Anyway, the adjustment was only painful on some of the teeth, not near as bad as anticipated. Certainly some jumpy parts, but I'm a tough girl. I alternated OTC pain meds (tylenol and advil) as suggested by a pharmacist after the appointment and most of the sensitivity has already gone. Like before, it seems to vary and change areas of my mouth. One day one tooth is loose, the next one on the other side it hurting. Nothing new really.

So all in all, the process was not as bad as I thought and looks like things are going well. I took a look at the model there and saw the smaller metal brackets which still have me thinking I want to switch from ceramic... but I haven't made the move yet.
My current anticipation is for my dentakit supplies to arrive. Once I've tried them out and the excitement fades, I plan to look into investing into a proper electric toothbrush lol. I just can't seem to stop getting all the gadgets.

And yes!! We borrowed a digital camera and snapped some progress shots!!! Luckily the big crater from the canine in the bottom is healing up nice, so they're not as graphic as they might have been closer to post-surgery. Actually, in most of these, you can't really see the hole at all.

I think I'm going on seven weeks since being braced.
I'm very excited to show off my teeth because I've hyped it up so much on here. Tell me what you think!!

New bite shot:

Top of Mouth (with build-ups):

Bottom:

And a couple of open (not biting) front progress photos:

joney

#17 Post by joney »

Hi Dramagyrl

Your teeth are looking really great. :D I am planning to get my teeth braced soon (no date fixed yet) and the orthodontist said to me that I will see a difference quite quickly. This site has shown me that teeth can move incredibly quickly like yours. I am so pleased for you. I too have a canine that thinks it is too good to sit with my other teeth. It will be strange for me for my teeth to start straightening but a wonderful strange. It's so great when people have the fantastic progress makes it all worthwhile.

Regards
Joney

jenfire

#18 Post by jenfire »

Your progress is great! :D
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

Dramagyrl

#19 Post by Dramagyrl »

Just for fun, I'll post a pic of my tattoo I've mentioned. It's on a spot of my body that's scarred, so not only do I feel better about my body, but it's a great reminder of going through the braces :)

Thanks for reading.

LP

#20 Post by LP »

Yeah dramagirl. I've been away for a while but it's so nice to come back and finally see some pics. Things are looking GREAT!!!! You have had amazing progress thus far. It's so exciting isn't it?

I love the tattoo too - much different then my lotus flower. Hmmmm....maybe I should post a picture of mine too. :D

Dramagyrl

#21 Post by Dramagyrl »

LP, I disagree with you posting yours, it pits mine to shame!!!! Haha! What a nice tattoo, but much braver and bigger than I was going for (at least for now, one day I'd like to go bigger). Good to see you back at the site too.

Anyway, a bit of an update on my experience ...

I can finally say the pain is dying down. I have my moments still, but nothing like I was experiencing the first 6-7 weeks. The hardest part dealing with the adjustment was the new thin wires which, if caught the wrong way, nick my tongue. Otherwise, most of the movement has been very tolerable for like the last week or two!!! Horray!!!!
Any TMJ symptoms (jaw pain and clenching) have seemed to have stopped within the last week. I have however, woken myself the last three nights from something new. Seems like I am grinding and don't realize it, but then I shift the jaw and the teeth that are uneven scrape on the others, it pops. I've woken because I hear the crack/pop and I'm scared I've broken a bracket off. No brackets broken :) but it's something I've never experienced before. Hoping this means the jaw is changing, going through the motions before my bite is in better line and *hopefully* stops such complications altogether.
If it wasn't for these molar build-ups in the back, I wouldn't even know where my bite is. Everything is quite out-of-whack still, so I figure that'll change. Currently, if someone asks to see my teeth, on instinct I try and show my teeth with a normal bite (there's no point in showing with overbite or you can barely see the bottom teeth) and if I am not looking in a mirror, I can't feel naturally where I am biting. I've had to take a moment thinking about it before showing and its kind of funny!

My Dentakit order just arrived!!! I got a variety of things to try and will find what works for me. I'm looking forward to *hopefully* having some easier flossing experience. I'm also buying some of that blue bubblegum Listerine online because it doesn't seem to have showed up in any Canadian stores yet.
Next is looking into a flashy electric toothbrush, but I've still got some homework before I invest. Need to find one that will work best for me and get that deep-down clean everyone is talking about.

So things are going pretty good the last little while for me. Happy with the progress and glad the pain is finally dying down. I can't believe how quick time goes with braces.

Dramagyrl

Second Adjustment

#22 Post by Dramagyrl »

Had my second adjustment today. I'm going to have to snap another batch of photos to keep up on progress.

My ortho said he was happy with the progress he saw, but didn't change a lot. I got a larger wire on the top and he tightened the wire power chains on the bottom extractions. Silver elastics on the top and I managed to convince the tech to alternate bright colours on the bottom. This will help add to the "cute" of my potential cheerleader costume lol.

Grabbed my ortho and got to ask him some quick questions before he ran off this time. (Considering I was the only patient in the office at the time, you'd think I could have gotten even a few more.) He's not sure if I will need elastics from the top to the bottom, and at least it won't be too soon. I asked if the goal is to close the extractions first and apparently that is the case because he hopes that will correct my bite without elastics. I didn't get the molar build-ups off either.

Got a bit of pain from the treatment, they had to reaf the wire on the one side to get it in. Really not comfortable, and the aftermath of teeth adjusting to a larger wire is just as uncomfortable.

I'll make up for the pain with another Listerine Cool Blue Rinse!!! It just arrived and I love it.

I'll post new pics soon too!

Dramagyrl

#23 Post by Dramagyrl »

I didn't want to wait too long until after the adjustment to get some photos to see my progress- second adjustment finished.... next is mid-November.
The new wire on the top is causing some movement, especially for the spaces *YEAY* and my bite is still making it's way into place. :)
The new silver elastics are making smiling a bit more comfortable and the colourful bottom ligs are just fun. I'm finding though, I am in a bit of an awkward stage right now. I feel like my top lip looks really big still (you'd think I'd like that, considering how big my bottom naturally is) and I am getting used to having a pronounced jawline and chin. It's just kind of weird looking at myself sometimes because I am seeing drastic changes, but I am sure I will feel better about it really soon.

I'll post the new progress photos, although the difference is not nearly as clear as that between the before and first adjustment shots...
The silver ligs are slightly faded, but they show the idea. I use that blue plaque rinse and maybe I hadn't brushed it off perfectly. FYI- the rinse is AMAZING! Tastes great and helped me identify some trouble spots- highly recommended!

Bite:

Top:

Bottom:

Indalee

#24 Post by Indalee »

Oh my goodness Dramagyrl! :o It seems that you and I have experienced the same rude awakening from sleeping. Last month was the first time I ever woke myself up (I guess grinding my teeth) and I too felt like something popped, scrapped and broke off. It really freaked me out big time! I assumed it was due to my bite changing however not to long after that I was lying in bed, watching TV when my lower canine felt weird to me. So I used my pinky fingernail to scrape it and the tip of it fell out and landed on my chest :shock: . I jumped up and went racing through my house with it in hand. I scared the crap out of my husband who was in the shower at the time. It’s not really noticeable to others but I can tell it’s missing for sure. I’m not sure if my tooth chipped from me grinding in my sleep causing that horrible scraping and popping sound but I started sleeping with a cotton ball between my teeth for awhile. It kept the pressure off my teeth and kept me from grinding until things settled. I’m just glad to hear that I wasn’t alone in the experience. I thought I was going nuts! Also, I know exactly what you mean when the ortho removes your archwire and your teeth feel very loose and uneasy!
It looks to me like you have/are making some remarkable progress in your braces journey! Way to go! It’s not always easy to deal with the pain and constant movement of things but it is true that in the end it will be worth it. Keep posting those wonderful pics!

Dramagyrl

#25 Post by Dramagyrl »

For having been so excited to share my story at first, I suppose I'm getting a little tardy these days. Here's a bit of an update on my progress since my last post sometime in October.

I had a bit of an identity crisis before my last adjustment. I was growing the front of my short haircut longer into the face and lots of people were complimenting it because it framed my face. I, on the other hand, noticed an extreme change in my appearance from the nose down. It was changes for the better (my double chin reduced and my jaw looks more pronounced) but it was an extreme change I needed to deal with. I went and got a new haircut, clothes and some make-up to try and help myself feel better, and I've slowly gotten more used to the look. I also realized that if I smile nice and big with my teeth, my braces are far less noticeable than when I am talking or trying to disguise them - if that makes sense. It's just that when I smile with my teeth, people tend to notice more how straight they are looking, rather than the metal that's holding them there. All in all, I'm feeling better about the appearance change and that's made it easier to handle the dental part too.

I had an adjustment Nov. 22 where they changed my top wire to a bigger one and not on the bottom. My ortho said the bones on the bottom part of the jaw are like an AERO bar, with spongy tissue on the inside, so by forcing too much motion too soon, it could cause some tearing. He said my clenching was being caused by some complications with my crossbite on the rght side and he wanted to get things moving there more so my bite would feel better. He tightened the wires around my bottom extraction gaps and put POWERCHAINS on the top extraction gaps.
I was so excited to have powerchains because everyone talked about them and the crazy amount of motion they initiated, but I will admit I could sure feel some discomfort from the new pressure.
(I had silver elastics on the top again and got red and green alternating on the bottom.)

The next morning was like a dream. I woke up and started feeling the holes with my tongue and they were totally smaller! I went to the bathroom to take a look, pulled down my bottom lip and gasped. The space that had been created between the two teeth on the bottom (the side where I had an eye tooth low in the bottom of my head) was gone. Not only that, but the crater of an extraction hole that was there was also gone. Other than a little white line in the tissue, which you had to look close to see, you would have never even known I had a tooth in the bottom of my head last July. No trace whatsoever.
So that was another emotional moment in my treatment. It was an adult tooth I was a little attached to, not because it looked pretty, but it was distinct and memorable. I always made sure I paid extra care to it when brushing, etc. so to not even see a trace of it took a bit of getting used to.
I got over it pretty soon when I realized I didn't have to constantly pick food out of it and that I've been taking pretty good care of my gums for them to heal up so nicely when combined with a bit of braces pressure.

Since that adjustment, I had a whole bunch of other motion, causing new gaps and making flossing a treat because you never knew where floss would jump in real easily. It was pretty neat for someone who always had teeth tightly compacted to finally have tonnes of gaps.

So on Wednesday the 20th, I had to pop in before the ortho closed for the holidays because I had a wire poking in the back. My ortho was free and came bubbling over to check my progress because a poking wire implied there had been some motion going on. When he looked, it turned out there was lots of poking (lots of motion too) but the right crossbite was still not sitting where he would have liked to see it. He asked how long it had been since I've seen him and I pointed out my next adjustment was Jan. 4. So he figured he would just go ahead and tighten the bottom wires right there and I could book a different appointment in six weeks!
It kind of caught me off guard because I wasn't planning an adjustment, but at least it started more motion-fun. Other than the crossbite, he was really happy with how things are going. I went with silver on the top and bottom for a nice clean look over the holidays and I am not back in there now until February.

So I have a bit of rubbing and all that fun stuff from the movement again, including some biting of my cheeks lol, but things have been much easier for me finally. I'm still clenching a little, but I'd like to think it's better than before and as these teeth start moving again, hopefully I'll start feeling better about the bite.
I can't believe how fast time has been going for me and I feel like it's a bit more of a smooth ride. I still need to take new progress photos, so hopefully I will get to post them soon. As far as I am concerned, my teeth are looking great!

Dramagyrl

#26 Post by Dramagyrl »

Whew, apparently it's been a while since I've posted on here.

To give some general updates, I had my last couple of adjustments early because wires on the top were starting to poke in the back. My ortho was pleased with the progress and has been using power chains to keep pulling the extraction gaps closed. Wires on the bottom and elastics looped around the top holes.

I had my ?seventh? adjustment on March 7, a bit early again because I was starting a new job the following week and didn't want to have the distraction of an adjustment during such a busy week. The ortho declared my one extraction hole officially closed - that's the hole where the tooth was below the general tooth line and deeper in the gums. He said he's working to finish up fixing my bite before too more aggressive tooth-arranging.

The other extraction holes are closing really nicely, you wouldn't think there's been teeth there. The movement of course is creating other gaps I've learned to not let bother me. For a while there was a space between my front teeth, which was a little difficult to accept, but at this last adjustment, my ortho put a figure-eight elastic over the two teeth to pull them back together. He said they will move them together as one, when ready.

I'll be glad when the holes are closed. The wire on the bottom left that's pulling the extraction closed is cutting into the inside of my lip and even by using wax, I can't seem to stop the friction. It's bled a little bit over the last couple of days and had made talking a little difficult.

I've chipped a couple more teeth from clenching overnight, but my ortho reassures me he will correct all that by filing things down when the braces are off. The clenching has caused some headaches and I'm having trouble getting rid of them. I've been relying a lot on muscle relaxants since my last adjustment.

I'm finding the silver elastics on the top are still better than clear, they don't stain as much. That, and quitting smoking, has helped prevent yucky elastics on top :)

So there's the long and short of it. I've kind of been trudging along and learning to handle the challenges as I go, but things have been getting better than they were in the first couple of months. I just passed the eight-month mark!

I also got better access to a camera, so I'll take some progress shots and post them real soon.

lynnm

#27 Post by lynnm »

Loved reading your story and "getting to know you" through it! I'm so interested in your journey with your bite. I also don't know where my bite is after so many years. It's probably my greatest concern about my treatment. Like if I don't know, how will the orthodontist?

Also intrigued about your comment that the TMJ stuff subsided for you. I'm hoping I can say the same someday! Your story gives me hope!

Sounds like you're on your way to a new chapter in your life!

chillin-in-grilz

#28 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

2 words! Holy Crap! I have never seen a tooth in the front like that. It must be weird. and i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee your tat, it looks really nice:):banana:
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007