Phosflur?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

jayrdub1979

PhosFlur

#16 Post by jayrdub1979 »

I really like PhosFlur. I have had no yellowing. PhosFlur contains about 10 times the amount of flouride of normal mouthwash. My concern right now is being cavity free. I will worry about getting my teeth whitened after my brace are removed...in less than a month!! :D

platinum

#17 Post by platinum »

I have noticed some staining with Phosflur. I use it every evening. I got my teeth cleaned yesterday and they looked whitish again (my natural teeth colour is not very white :/)

Miss Smiley

#18 Post by Miss Smiley »

Odd, I guess my teeth just like the PhosFlur, no staining or discoloration yet.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

breal87

#19 Post by breal87 »

Thank Goodness for this thread!

I just bought phosflur for $12 at Giant because it says it's recommended by orthodontists! I've been using ACT Restoring mouthwash anticavity which has .05% Sodium Fluoride and just recently I switched to ACT Kids anticavity fluoride rinse because it is bubble gum flavored.

I bought the Phosflur wihch has 4.4 mg of the sodium fluoride ... is 4.4 mg equivalent to .05 % sodium fluoride? I think the phosflur has way more fluoride than the ACT

I really don't wanna do it if it's gonna stain my teefs yellow, should I return it?

Test

micachica

#20 Post by micachica »

My ortho gave me a prescription for phosflur GEL. I have to use it after I brush my teeth and rebrush them with the gel. It's kinda weird, I think I'd prefer the mouthwash, it would get into all the nooks and crannies. But it's cool cause my insurance covers the cost (well most of it) so it's super cheap!

mary.

My Ortho recommended it

#21 Post by mary. »

My Ortho gave me a sample of Act in my kit but mentioned that they don't sell it in Canada. They mentioned that PhosFlur is a good comparable alternative. I must admit though that I don't use it everyday, so while it was a little pricey I expect that large bottle will last me a long time.

adayinthelife

#22 Post by adayinthelife »

I've been using ACT (the generic kind) but I decided to pick up the Cool Mint flavor of Phos-Flur at the pharmacy today. I couldn't believe how pricey it was, but since my Orthodontist recommended it I thought i'd give it a shot.

I have to say i'm really disappointed in my decision; i'm not a fan of it at all. The taste is very unpleasant. I know i'm not meant to rinse my mouth for 30 minutes, but my whole mouth is dyed blue! Is this okay? I'm afraid my teeth are going to stain horribly with this stuff.

Can't believe I spent $12 on mouth wash.

¤sabrina¤

#23 Post by ¤sabrina¤ »

breal87 wrote: recently I switched to ACT Kids anticavity fluoride rinse because it is bubble gum flavored.
yay for bubblegum flavoured, thats the one i use too :)
my story -- http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25125
February 29 2008 - initial consultation, records and spacers
March 17 2008 - molar bands
March 20 2008 - 2 upper 1st premolar extractions
April 17 2008 - upper jaw braced
April 24 2008 - lower jaw braced
May 1 2009 - primary left central incisor extraction

Luella

#24 Post by Luella »

What happened to good old fashioned Listerine and Scope?

We prescribe Periodex or Perioguard rinse to our implant patients at my office, and some people do come back and complain about staining- and in the drug information on the bottle it mentions the possibility of staining- but it always scrubs off with a good cleaning at the hygenist's chair. Is PhosFlur similar to Peridex?
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

RamboSally

#25 Post by RamboSally »

I went to my dentist today. She advised that Phos-Flur and ACT are basically the same thing, provide the same benefits. She advised that the reason people get white spots is because a cavity is forming, they have poor oral hygiene, or they got the white spots when they were young. She advised that fluoride mouth washes do not create white spots. She also advised that she didn't have a preference as to what brand, just any mouth wash with fluoride would do. She advised that the fluoride rinse is good for peeps with brackets because it is really difficult for a lot of patients to floss effectively and get the bacteria out. Also, even though the ortho might tell you to get your teeth cleaned every 4 months, she advised that it really is dependent upon the individuals oral care routine. So, do you drink a lot of sugary drinks? Do you eat a lot of candy? Etc, etc, etc. You guys get the picture. The bottom line is, you are making a HUGE investment and you really should take care of your teeth. Period. I just heard a saying the other day: BE GOOD TO YOUR TEETH OR THEY'LL BE FALSE TO YOU! :lol:

I asked her about the yellowing of the teeth that some people reported getting, she attributed it to poor oral hygiene.

So, I guess I will start using the stuff. Reluctantly. I trust my dentist implicitly. But I am a paranoid person by nature to begin with. She is always up front and honest with me about anything and everything (we like each other as human beings, and you can't beat that with a stick!) and we are always gabbing and joking around. We are also the same age, so we have that in common.

So you guys can take this post for what it's worth and draw your own conclusion (obviously). I just hope it helps somebody out there, besides me! :)

Take care everyone and I hope y'all have a great week ahead!

Cheers!
RS
:crazy:

P.S.
I just cut and pasted this from a post I created recently (didn't realize this issue had already been addresses previously. My bad!) Here is the link: viewtopic.php?p=314197#314197

snbar

Re: Yellowing

#26 Post by snbar »

hedybleu wrote:I am in my mid 30's and purchased Phos Flur to help prevent the "white marks" I'd heard about occuring around the brackets. I was using it twice a day, however I ended up with my teeth turning a dull dingy yellow.

When I went into the Ortho, I asked about it and he confirmed that the product was causing it due to the level fluoride. He said the yellowing will go away with normal brushing and will not damage my teeth. However he said there isn't a need to use this product specifically and that any good mouth rinse/wash will work just fine. So I switched to using Listerene "Tooth Defense" once a day and haven't had any more yellowing occur. In fact since I stopped using the Phos Flur 2 weeks ago, my teeth have returned to the previous natural color. ~ Hedybleu
You are only suppose to use it once a day during the evening.

assertives

Re: Phosflur?

#27 Post by assertives »

I finished a bottle of phosflur and didn't experience any yellowing. I used it every night.

I didn't really like it tho, the taste was ok, but I didn't get that very fresh feeling after using it. It cost me almost $30 a bottle where I come from, which doesn't seem very worth it for me. :gavel: