Phosflur?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

LiveWire

Phosflur?

#1 Post by LiveWire »

Hello all,

I am wondering - what is the purpose of Phosflur and do a lot of you use it? I am considering getting it but really wanted some of your opinions....

Thanks in advance! :D

Enjoy life to the fullest and take chances! :0)

**shinyhappybraceface**

#2 Post by **shinyhappybraceface** »

Its an anti-cavity, fluoride rinse - similar to the purpose of ACT. I suggest that you not waste your money on Phosflur. It's a lot more expensive and it doesn't taste nearly as good as ACT.

My orthodontist recommended ACT and, because Phosflur is only available behind the counter (it's non-prescription, but they don't leave it on the regular shelves at my pharmacy), I assumed it was better. I figured the ortho just wanted to save me money - or that he thought asking me to buy something as expensive as Phosflur would discourage my using a rinse at all.

Now I think if it was really better, my ortho would have recommended *that* instead. I don't like it one bit and I'm almost ashamed to say, I now have an almost-full bottle of $12 Phosflur sitting on the shelf, totally neglected, next to my ACT.
The future is no place to place your better days. ~DMB

Dawn

#3 Post by Dawn »

I use phosflur almost every night. Pricey, yes. But by searching around I've been able to find it as low as $8.99 a bottle. (At Bed, Bath and Beyond of all places!).
My doc didn't recommend one over the other (Phosflur or Act) but I have both in the cabinet. Sometimes I prefer the Cinnamon Act, but if my mouth is sore or a little cut up, the Phosflur actually soothes my cheeks too!
But ultimately, I don't know that there is a HUGE difference.

LiveWire

#4 Post by LiveWire »

Thanks so much for you responses. I however, have been unable to find the ACT that everyone raves about...maybe it is cause I am in Canada..I am not sure :?: but I haven't found it yet and been all over...

Anything else with the same purpose that you know about? :?:

Thanks for your input! :D

geekgirl

#5 Post by geekgirl »

Well, I don't know if there's a different rinse that's recommended for braces, but my dentist makes sure i'm using Oral B Anti Cavity Dental Rinse to help keep my never ending decay problems in check. It's everywhere here in BC.
Waiting for life to settle down a bit before committing to 3 years of braces, lower jaw surgery, crowns and some whitening.

LiveWire

#6 Post by LiveWire »

Hey geekgirl,

I will check it out at the local drugstore and see if I can find it! :) Thanks for the suggestion!

beachrose

#7 Post by beachrose »

I have posted this comment on the general board, but seeing this subject here, I have to comment.

I have bottom braces only - 10 NEW crowns on the top - and used Phos-flur one week only when I noticed that it stained yellow my own bleached bottoms as well as all of my crowns! When I called my dentist (I wish I had checked with him to begin with) he said stop it immediately as it's an acid and it will etch and stain. He doesn't believe in that kind of fluoride rinse, not even for children.

I am only in braces for three weeks, but can bleach the bottom again when they come off. However, there is probably nothing to be done about the yellowing of my crowns. My granddaughters have just come out of braces and, they, too, have yellowed teeth from that rinse.

beachrose

#8 Post by beachrose »

I know, Meryaten, I was shocked that this happened, too. It never occured to me to check with my dentist first because it is so highly recommended by the ortho. She has signs all over the office as a reminder to not run out. And, I was happy to have it, because, of course, I am worried about having the white spots after all this. However, my dentist said as long as my home care is good (actually, he says it's excellent) I shouldn't have to worry about that. Also, at my age cavities aren't really an issue.

When I saw the ortho to have a rough spot filed down a few days after I noticed this, she also said to stop it. Of course, I already had. She said the staining would brush out, but I'm not so sure of that. I would say that it happened because of the composition of my teeth, but that doesn't account for the crowns.

Although I know nothing is supposed to work on changing the color of crowns, at night I am putting on some of the professional bleaching gel I have and am hoping maybe it will help brighten them. And, of course, brushing like mad.

Miss Smiley

#9 Post by Miss Smiley »

I have been using Phosflur religiously since April. I was and still am using the grape flavored with no staining. I also have crowns and bridges but no staining on them from the rinse. I had a bridge that was made in a shade darker than my natural color. It's also about 10 years old so after ortho, I would be getting all new crowns and maybe bridge if it's necessary. I don't think it will stop me from using the Phosflur.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

pinkpatrol

#10 Post by pinkpatrol »

My sister strongly urged me to use Phosflur. She has no staining and her ortho recommended it to her. I have found it at walmart for under $12 with the other mouth rinses. I like the bed bath and beyond price better!

lab117

#11 Post by lab117 »

The Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off are sent to me monthly. You can get on their mailing list by visiting their website. And they don't check expiration dates so don't throw old ones away. I have used ones that are over 6 months past expieration date.

Miss Smiley

#12 Post by Miss Smiley »

They carry Phos-Flur at Bed Bath and Beyond?!

MissDiana

#13 Post by MissDiana »

Miss Smiley, they carry all sorts of stuff at Bed, Bath, & Beyond that makes no sense to me. Like make-up and snacks. I guess that fall under the "Beyond" heading.

However, considering that I was just complaining last night that $12.99 for mouthwash is just unreal, I'll have to stop by there the next time I'm running low.

My dentist told me to use Phos-Flur specifically, I guess I'll have to be happy with paying $9!
Braces on 4/4/07 -
Braces off 3/31/08!

Miss Smiley

#14 Post by Miss Smiley »

Wow....they really meant BEYOND

hedybleu

Yellowing

#15 Post by hedybleu »

I am in my mid 30's and purchased Phos Flur to help prevent the "white marks" I'd heard about occuring around the brackets. I was using it twice a day, however I ended up with my teeth turning a dull dingy yellow.

When I went into the Ortho, I asked about it and he confirmed that the product was causing it due to the level fluoride. He said the yellowing will go away with normal brushing and will not damage my teeth. However he said there isn't a need to use this product specifically and that any good mouth rinse/wash will work just fine. So I switched to using Listerene "Tooth Defense" once a day and haven't had any more yellowing occur. In fact since I stopped using the Phos Flur 2 weeks ago, my teeth have returned to the previous natural color. ~ Hedybleu