Lip Balm/Lip Gloss

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Grapefruit

#16 Post by Grapefruit »

wow! Ur welcome my Canadian brethren! lol I grew up in canada and we moved here in 2000....i miss it sooo much! I love CANADA! I used to live in Ottawa....

I guess we're the only ones who know wat Tim Hortons (TIMMY'S) is...! lol
--i luv sports.......and shoes--

mtbrncofn

#17 Post by mtbrncofn »

My lips were so horribly dry in the beginning, I thought I was going to go crazy. They're kind of dry without braces, but with...yikes.

My favorite for being long lasting, actually moisturizing, and even glossy and kind of showy is Clinique Super Balm.

It comes in a few different shades, but they're just tints and you can't even see the color. I love how well it stays on. That's my biggest beef with chapsticks/glosses.

On the downside, it's pretty pricey, IMO. I think I pay $11.50 a tube for it. :shock:

Maybe I'll give a few of these other suggestions a try and see if I can find a cheaper alternative that I like.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

LiveWire

#18 Post by LiveWire »

wow! Ur welcome my Canadian brethren! lol I grew up in canada and we moved here in 2000....i miss it sooo much! I love CANADA! I used to live in Ottawa....

I guess we're the only ones who know wat Tim Hortons (TIMMY'S) is...! lol

Hey Grapefruit - Ottawa is beautiful - we were there last time for a trip and it was great! Yes - TIMMY's is the best!! ALthough not being a coffee drinker I am in love with their Hot Apple Cider...mmm :P just saying it makes me drool! Hahah :lol:

Enjoy life to the fullest and take chances! :0)

Shelby014

drool, haha

#19 Post by Shelby014 »

i woke up the other morning and i had a drool, "mark" all the way up to my eye. I like burts bees, and blistex lip medex, they rock, but i am having a drool problem, anybody else experiencing this, i mean, its not even drool, its........SLOBBER. Then when i'm not slobbering i'm spitting cotton (dry mouth). Anybody have a good reccommendations? I love lip balm/gloss i always have something on my lips to make them soft and shiny!!! :wink:
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

Grapefruit

#20 Post by Grapefruit »

wow thats pretty bad! I had a lil bit of drooling during my first months (now nearly 2 yrs) but not slobber! As for the dry mouth they have sprays that u can use to bring some juice back. So maybe just check those out, I have no solution for the drooling. I'm pretty sure it goes away soon! Good Luck! :HugeGrin:
Last edited by Grapefruit on Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HollyDontSpend

So many examples

#21 Post by HollyDontSpend »

Wow! Thanks for posting this question LiveWire! I've gotten so many suggestions myself now. So here's some info for all else reading too: I like my carmex, but I'm a big lip balm/gloss buyer, so I have quite a few others. I really do like the Mentha Lip shine from Bath and Body Works. I got a full sized sample of Lancome Juicy Lips and really like the shine. I really like Mary Kay Satin Lips too.
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

LiveWire

#22 Post by LiveWire »

Yes this turned out to be a great post with tons of suggestions to pick from...it is neat to see all the different types of gloss that everyone uses!

I don't have any drooling problem but I am getting the tpa and thinking that might lead to a problem...will let you know later this week if I am experiencing the same problem.....

Enjoy life to the fullest and take chances! :0)

smile

#23 Post by smile »

I'm a burt's bee's (the good ol' original) girl by night, and a mac lustreglass girl by day.

PUCKER UP!

mtbrncofn

#24 Post by mtbrncofn »

Yeah, I still drool and I am five months in. At this point, I'm not holding out much hope that it's going away anytime soon.

I must say it's quite humiliating when it just happens and I'm not paying attention. :oops:

I am going to have to give the Bath and Body stuff a try too. I don't know if anyone else ever tried this, but they came out with this lip gloss stuff a year or two ago from there, and I hated it. It tasted like candy and felt like sugar crystals sitting on your lips. Completely worthless, IMO. It was called Dolce something.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Grapefruit

#25 Post by Grapefruit »

KK wrote: I carry my lip balm in a pocket ... all the time. I have heaps of spares ... I think I'm a lip balm junkie ... well it's just another thing to add to my junkie list!
hahaha Karen, me 2! lol I just bought one an hour ago........... :HugeGrin:

Grapefruit

#26 Post by Grapefruit »

Meryaten wrote: I used Carmex overnight, and I'm being diligent with my Burt's Bees (what I happened to have in my bag) today and they're almost healed!
That's great Meryaten! Hope you're lippy real soon! lol :-#)

It's pretty funny cuz my lips have never gotten as bad as yours, I can't go 5 mins with dry lips! It just annoys me, I guess thats why Karen and I are lip balm junkies..... :wink: lol

BYE!

ricardo2

#27 Post by ricardo2 »

LOL! :lol: I know what you mean about cat hair!!!

Long hair and wind are a bad combination too.... (no, not that type of wind!)

I can't say I've ever got it stuck in my braces though..... yet!! Worse thing is having lipgloss or lip balm on and forgetting, then kissing the cats and ending up with a fuzzy lips, not to mention a soggy moggy! :shock:

God, is this starting to sound rude? :?

LUCY xxx

Grapefruit

#28 Post by Grapefruit »

I have a cat phobia.......... :oops: I got scratched by a cat a 6 yrs ago on my face, and I get freaked out whenever i'm near one! lol I kno, pretty pathetic, eh?

I was playing jump-rope with my cuzin and the neighborhood cat came along, and I was like 'here kitty' and I tried to pet it and thats when it jumped on my face and scratched me! :cry:

Ironically, I used to LOVE cats b4, like I knew every type and breed and stuff like that! Also, my mom told me not to go outside that day, bad idea!haha, we used to have a kitten as well, his name was Rocky,but my mom had allergies so we gave him away.

It was pretty embarrasing because I had to wear one of those HUGE "H" shaped bandages on my face, (the scar about 1.5 inches above my jaw like where ur right molar band should be :wink: ) so all of my classmates were like "what happened to your face!?" :yikes:, this was in canada so the ER nurse used glue instead of stitches, it was still pretty deep tho...man, oh man it was painful!

Also, my scar is in the shape of a claw!! lol, its not very large tho, thank goodness!

I'm not necassarily SCARED of cats, but I'm just hesistant to touch it.....

sorry for the ramble! I kno, sooo off-topic!

bye!

moli

#29 Post by moli »

I don't have braces yet, but I'm an avid fan of Burt's Bees. Makes your lips feel so good and happy!!!

CelestialVoices

#30 Post by CelestialVoices »

KK wrote:
Meryaten wrote:The lip gloss/lip balm I've been using the past 48 hours hasn't been good for my lips - that is to say none! Now the next time I look set not to use lip balm for a couple of days, will someone please kick me - my lips are cracked and raw in a couple of places :( Stupid, stupid, stupid!
Meryaten ... KICK!!!

Put heaps of lip balm on and let your lips just soak the moisture in. If they appear a bit rough after that ... it's a good idea to brush them with a toothbrush ... it will remove all the dead and dried skin and your lips will feel heaps better. I've read you should treat your lips to a brushing every month ... but I usually forget till I notice a dry bit of skin hanging round! How hard do you brush? Well I think that's up to you ... as hard as you can deal with ... and remember you don't want your lips bleeding ... coz the whole idea is to rehydrate them, not kill them!

I carry my lip balm in a pocket ... all the time. I have heaps of spares ... I think I'm a lip balm junkie ... well it's just another thing to add to my junkie list!
Brushing your lips with a toothbrush!? I've never heard of that...I wonder if my SonicCare would be too powerful if I did that while it was turned on lol.