Mouthwash Leaves Pieces of Gunk in My Mouth!

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

Mouthwash Leaves Pieces of Gunk in My Mouth!

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

I hate to knock new products, but I tried the Crest Pro Health mouthwash yesterday. It doesn't contain alcohol and is supposed to make your mouth feel and smell fresh for hours and hours.

After brushing my teeth as usual with my Sonicare and Mentadent toothpaste, I rinsed and then swished around some of the Pro Health mouthwash. It left bits of blue gunk all over my mouth! I had to floss my teeth again to get the gunk out from between them! Then I looked at my tongue, and it was covered with the blue gunk! I had to aggressively clean my tongue with a manual toothbrush to remove it, and then rinsed several times with water.

What a weird product. Didn't Crest test this product before putting it out? Who would want a mouthwash that leaves pieces of gunk in their mouth? Sheesh!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

JN_Woods

#2 Post by JN_Woods »

That happened to me too! I think I heard that their site says that the clumps are the mouthwash clinging to the bacteria in your mouth. I really don't need to SEE that. I also don't think it burns much less than Listerine. That blue gunk does take a while to get out of your mouth (and it will also stick to your sink if you have a slow drain).

Upper Braces & Both Expanders 9/14/05
Lower Braces 1/5/06
Estimated Treatment Time: 24-27 months

decisionmade

#3 Post by decisionmade »

I discovered the same thing..however I use it before I brush then follow with a flouride rinse after brushing so it works for me ..but definately the packaging should warn of the "gunk" and reccomend it be used as a pre brushing rinse...It is definatly more pleasant than the stinging of listerine..
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

JN_Woods

#4 Post by JN_Woods »

Hmmmm...the Crest rinse burned my mouth pretty much the same as the less-intense Listerine citrus stuff (which burns less than regular Listerine). Does it not burn anyone else's mouths? Maybe I'm just weird. Maybe I'll keep using mine like you suggested--BEFORE I brush.

Upper Braces & Both Expanders 9/14/05
Lower Braces 1/5/06
Estimated Treatment Time: 24-27 months

mtbrncofn

#5 Post by mtbrncofn »

Man, I've had the gunk with pretty much whatever I use. Doesn't matter if I have braces or not either. I assumed it was loosened stuff because I always brush first and then do the mouthwash.

I haven't tried the new Crest yet, but with the less than stellar reviews I've read from most on here, I'm not in a real big hurry to do it.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

ricardo2

#6 Post by ricardo2 »

Hi,

The only mouthwash I haven't encountered the gunk with yet is Colgate Fluoriguard.

They do it in alcohol free now too over here, but it's not as nice as the normal one I don't think.

Trouble is, it's about £4 a bottle and I'm currently getting through at least 4 a week!!!! :shock:

Re: the gunk.... I think that the more liquidy the mouthwash is, the less chance of it occurring.... Fluoriguard certainly appears to be more fluid than most.

Hope that helps,

Take care

LUCY xxx
(UK)

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

Biotene doesn't leave gunk in my mouth, and either does ACT.

I have to wonder what secret ingredient is causing the gunk syndrome?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

ricardo2

#8 Post by ricardo2 »

....Just a quickie - to ask whether everyone noticed getting the dreaded gunk before their braces were fitted????

If not, I'm wondering if it's because (like food) the thicker mouthwashes cling to the braces, whereas if there's no braces, it just gets washed away with saliva and by our tongues without us even noticing?

Although, if people did notice the gunk before the braces were fitted, then that blows my little theory out of the water!!! :oops:

The gunk is a pain in the bum!.... it just means yet more cleaning out the brackets!! :roll: I'm definitely sticking with my Fluoriguard from now on!!

Take care

LUCY xxx

ricardo2

#9 Post by ricardo2 »

......DELETE THIS ONE..... IT GOT POSTED TWICE!!

Thanks!

decisionmade

#10 Post by decisionmade »

No braces for me yet but gunk aplenty!
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

wating4braces

#11 Post by wating4braces »

Hmm... have not had any trouble with gunk with the new crest mouthwash. I wonder why? It does leave my teeth and tongue quite blue though...

mtbrncofn

#12 Post by mtbrncofn »

Lucyeloop wrote:....Just a quickie - to ask whether everyone noticed getting the dreaded gunk before their braces were fitted????

If not, I'm wondering if it's because (like food) the thicker mouthwashes cling to the braces, whereas if there's no braces, it just gets washed away with saliva and by our tongues without us even noticing?

Although, if people did notice the gunk before the braces were fitted, then that blows my little theory out of the water!!! :oops:

The gunk is a pain in the bum!.... it just means yet more cleaning out the brackets!! :roll: I'm definitely sticking with my Fluoriguard from now on!!

Take care

LUCY xxx
I certainly noticed the gunk pre braces, but it was way nastier with braces because it hung up on everything. Ew.

My mouthwash was Cepacol. I had my husband use it and he experienced the gunk too.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Nikkiekoala

#13 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I get gunk sometimes but not every time I use Crest Pro Health. I use my waterpik after rinsing with the Crest so I don't worry too much about the gunk when I do have it. My waterpik gets it all. LOVE my waterpik!

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

swellen

#14 Post by swellen »

Lucyeloop wrote:Trouble is, it's about £4 a bottle and I'm currently getting through at least 4 a week!!!! :shock:
4 bottles per week!! Wow! How big are the bottles?? How often do you rinse??

I've just tried Listerine Orange, which seems to me to burn just as much but now it leaves a strange orange aftertaste too! It's always bothered me that Listerine tastes the way Dencorub smells....

My favourite mouthwash is Reach Fresh Mint but it's really hard to find, for some reason. The Cool Mint flavour, which I don't like, is almost always available... isn't that always the way? :roll:

Is there an advantage to having alcohol in the mouthwash? I found an alcohol-free one that I didn't mind, taste-wise, but I don't know if being alcohol-free makes it better or worse for my teeth and gums.

CelestialVoices

Re: Mouthwash Leaves Pieces of Gunk in My Mouth!

#15 Post by CelestialVoices »

bbsadmin wrote:I hate to knock new products, but I tried the Crest Pro Health mouthwash yesterday. It doesn't contain alcohol and is supposed to make your mouth feel and smell fresh for hours and hours.

After brushing my teeth as usual with my Sonicare and Mentadent toothpaste, I rinsed and then swished around some of the Pro Health mouthwash. It left bits of blue gunk all over my mouth! I had to floss my teeth again to get the gunk out from between them! Then I looked at my tongue, and it was covered with the blue gunk! I had to aggressively clean my tongue with a manual toothbrush to remove it, and then rinsed several times with water.

What a weird product. Didn't Crest test this product before putting it out? Who would want a mouthwash that leaves pieces of gunk in their mouth? Sheesh!
I just used this earlier today and didn't get any gunk in my mouth, hopefully it'll stay that away even when I get braces eventually.