Scared to get White Spots...

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

KittyNikki

Scared to get White Spots...

#1 Post by KittyNikki »

Hi,

Completely new here. So hope I'm posting at the right spot. Please forgive me if I'm not, 😬

I've been in Damon Braces for a year now. I'm terrified of getting the dread "white spots" I told my dental hygienist this, and she said "You should be! Because most people get them." Didn't make me feel much better. Lol. But! She did say that I take good care of my teeth, and have very little plaque. I get my cleaning every 6 months.

I am addicted to sugar. It's bad.. So I enjoy my chocolate, and I drink a can of soda a day. I wash my mouth out with water when I can. I brush 2 sometimes 3 times a day for 2 minutes, and floss once every night before bed. Sometimes I'll use my water pik. Also use mouthwash, currently using ACT for braces.

How likely is it I'll get these dreaded spots? Are they only common for people with really poor dental hygiene? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks for any input!

EmilyTravels

Re: Scared to get White Spots...

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

I wonder if your hygienist is just trying to make sure you don't let up on your oral hygiene by saying that? I have seen many photos of people after debracing on various sites, and I have only once or twice seen anyone who ended up with white spots on their teeth. I have been in braces for 13 months and don't see any on mine. I brush three times a day, use fluoride mouthwash, floss of course, rinse after eating or drinking anything other than water, and my ortho's tech says my teeth look great. Keep up the good work, and I expect you'll be just fine.

KittyNikki

#3 Post by KittyNikki »

[quote=EmilyTravels post_id=504830 time=1538222693 user_id=30228]
I wonder if your hygienist is just trying to make sure you don't let up on your oral hygiene by saying that? I have seen many photos of people after debracing on various sites, and I have only once or twice seen anyone who ended up with white spots on their teeth. I have been in braces for 13 months and don't see any on mine. I brush three times a day, use fluoride mouthwash, floss of course, rinse after eating or drinking anything other than water, and my ortho's tech says my teeth look great. Keep up the good work, and I expect you'll be just fine.
[/quote]

Hi emily, thanks for getting back to me! I hope I'm responding correctly!

You may have a point about her just saying that, makes sense! I also have OCD and I keep checking and I do see "something" that looks white on top of the brackets, but I'm thinking.. that could just be the glue? I'm very paranoid about it. I'll be so bummed if I have them.

Thanks again!!

Heidirs

#4 Post by Heidirs »

KittyNikki wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:19 am I am addicted to sugar. It's bad.. So I enjoy my chocolate, and I drink a can of soda a day. I wash my mouth out with water when I can. I brush 2 sometimes 3 times a day for 2 minutes, and floss once every night before bed. Sometimes I'll use my water pik. Also use mouthwash, currently using ACT for braces.
It sounds like you're doing everything you should. I think the white spot scare is mostly for children and others who don't practice good oral hygiene. I was worried about white spots too. I was in braces for 18 months, and just got them off yesterday with no spots. I didn't floss everyday. Some days, I only brushed once. And I rarely used the mouthwash.

I did stay away from sugary treats and soda, but I think washing your mouth out with water helps.

It sound to me like you're on the right tack.

KittyNikki

#5 Post by KittyNikki »

[quote=Heidirs post_id=504904 time=1538659464 user_id=29606]
[quote=KittyNikki post_id=504825 time=1538205566 user_id=32458]
I am addicted to sugar. It's bad.. So I enjoy my chocolate, and I drink a can of soda a day. I wash my mouth out with water when I can. I brush 2 sometimes 3 times a day for 2 minutes, and floss once every night before bed. Sometimes I'll use my water pik. Also use mouthwash, currently using ACT for braces.
[/quote]

It sounds like you're doing everything you should. I think the white spot scare is mostly for children and others who don't practice good oral hygiene. I was worried about white spots too. I was in braces for 18 months, and just got them off yesterday with no spots. I didn't floss everyday. Some days, I only brushed once. And I rarely used the mouthwash.

I did stay away from sugary treats and soda, but I think washing your mouth out with water helps.

It sound to me like you're on the right tack.
[/quote]

Thank you for commenting! That makes me feel better :) Congratstulations on your braces being off!! That's great you were able to stay away from sugary sweets and soda. I am really bad at that 😬 But I do try keeping my mouth clean. I actually started to drink Root Beer because I read online it's somewhat better, and my dentist said that it's actually true. I thought he was going to laugh at me, lol.

Thanks so much!

Rickrolled

#6 Post by Rickrolled »

Hi there!
I don't believe white spots are anything to worry about. As long as you practice good hygiene and see your dentist often should should be OK. Your dentist should be able to see any spots and will warn you.

If you do get spots, its not too bad. There are a few products out there like "Tooth mousse" which is a cream that replaces minerals in calcification spots which will slowly fade the white appearance although it is a long process and requires you to use it every night to see a difference. Google it if you like.

Good luck!

KittyNikki

#7 Post by KittyNikki »

[quote=Rickrolled post_id=504921 time=1538723422 user_id=32462]
Hi there!
I don't believe white spots are anything to worry about. As long as you practice good hygiene and see your dentist often should should be OK. Your dentist should be able to see any spots and will warn you.

If you do get spots, its not too bad. There are a few products out there like "Tooth mousse" which is a cream that replaces minerals in calcification spots which will slowly fade the white appearance although it is a long process and requires you to use it every night to see a difference. Google it if you like.

Good luck!
[/quote]

Thank you!! I didn't know there was a product that helps in case someone does get them. That's comforting to me know if I happen to get them. Everyone is making me feel more confident that I'll be okay though :) *fingers crosses* if I do get them, I'll be googling! Thank you so much!

Funk2515

#8 Post by Funk2515 »

Hello!

Looks like you are doing everything right.

I was nervous about white spots so opted to get cleanings every 2 months instead of 6.

Danielle

#9 Post by Danielle »

I switched from brown colas to clear juice and fruit punch for like the first year of braces. I also always used a straw whenever I had a Coke or Pepsi. I had teeth cleanings every other month. I think those were more just to make money off me than a necessity. I brushed and flossed well daily. I swished around water after drinking a sugary soda in public or at work. I did not have any white spots after two and a half years of braces. I think for the most part, it’s a scare tactic to get people to stop drinking/eating foods that aren’t tooth friendly. Brush. Floss. Discreetly swish around water (& then swallow if you’re in public) and you should be fine.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present