Anybody has experience flossing with casted arm?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

SPceramics

Anybody has experience flossing with casted arm?

#1 Post by SPceramics »

Hello, I have recently had wrist surgery and my dominant arm has been immobilized. So far, flossing has proved impossible...with the exception of water flosser. Has anybody developed ways to floss even with an injured arm/hand?

LittleTooth

Re: Anybody has experience flossing with casted arm?

#2 Post by LittleTooth »

I know it's outdated, but I'm going to reply in case someone has an issue.
I've had several hand surgeries in my dominant hand and when I didn't have brackets I would use the floss picks during the first 2 weeks post-op. Once I was fitted with custom thermoplastic splints, I would use regular floss. It was actually quite easy using my left hand and my right pinky. I would tie it around my pinky and guide it with my left hand to where I wanted to place it. As long as you have at least one working finger in your dominant hand, you should be good to go. If the problem is on your wrist, moving your finger isn't a problem and it's actually encouraged so that you avoid any complications (stiffness and loss or range of motion). If I need another surgery while in braces, I will probably have trouble in the first 1-2 weeks post op due to the bulky dressing/cast. In this case I might try using waterpik or just my foot :-*

leahgaus

#3 Post by leahgaus »

Thought I would comment as well for anyone coming back to read this thread! I'm getting my braces put on in a week, and I'm nervous about not being able to floss as well because of wrist issues. I have pinched nerves in my neck caused by posture (which I'm in physical therapy for) that limit my wrist and hand motions severely, to the point where I have very little fine motor skills and I can't hold things up in the air without arm support. I'm planning on trying the floss picks they'll give me, but if they don't work out since I've never flossed in my life, I'm just going to be extra on top of mouthwash and brushing and use a toothpick for what I can. I've had friends who told me they never flossed and they were fine.

Mermaid

#4 Post by Mermaid »

I use a water flosser exclusively. Highly recommended.