Buying retainer online - bad idea?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Clarmik

Buying retainer online - bad idea?

#1 Post by Clarmik »

Is it a bad idea to buy customized Hawley retainers online?

jem

Re: Buying retainer online - bad idea?

#2 Post by jem »

Yes because you will have to take your impressions yourself. You will not do it as well as a dental professional so your retainers will not fit as well. You could ask your general dentist to remove your bonded retainers , take impressions and instruct a lab to make hawleys for you. The cost of the hawleys should not be much more than buying online and you will be confident that your hawleys will fit properly and not cause any adverse movement of your teeth.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

nteff

#3 Post by nteff »

I have done well buying replacement hawley online. No Problems.

Danielle

#4 Post by Danielle »

I tried to buy a retainer online, but even after braces, my bite still isn’t perfect. So after three tries (extra putty was sent to me) I still couldn’t get the impressions to be perfectly centered on the tray. It’s probably a hit or miss process. Worth a try, just make sure you order from a company that offers your money back if the impressions aren’t a success.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

Dunnyet

#5 Post by Dunnyet »

Have your dentist take the impressions and make the dental casts. Then you can send your casts to the online shop and they make sure your retainer(s) fit! Worked fine for me. Cheers!