Eating after being fitted with braces...

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Robinsonmel

Eating after being fitted with braces...

#1 Post by Robinsonmel »

It's not been a week since getting my braces and I can't eat much of anything. Mash potatoes, grits, oatmeal, the liquid part of soups, yogurt. Anything soft that it takes "a lot" of to fill an adult stomach, that's what I can eat. My teeth are so sensitive and they hurt. In other words "I'm hungry" and in pain, Haa. The bottom part of my face is swollen. Anyone experience that? Not sure what that's about. Jaw is very sore on one side and I have the cheek and gum sores. This is fun this far! :(

Robinsonmel

Re: Eating after being fitted with braces...

#2 Post by Robinsonmel »

[quote="Robinsonmel"]It's not been a week since getting my braces and I can't eat much of anything. Mash potatoes, grits, oatmeal, the liquid part of soups, yogurt. Anything soft that it takes "a lot" of to fill an adult stomach, that's what I can eat. My teeth are so sensitive and they hurt. In other words "I'm hungry" and in pain, Haa. The bottom part of my face is swollen. Anyone experience that? Not sure what that's about. Jaw is very sore on one side and I have the cheek and gum sores. This is fun thus far! :([/quote]

carrieann

#3 Post by carrieann »

Oh I remember those days! My cheeks and jaw were also swollen but went down in about a week. I took Tylenol, as my otho says Advil and Ibuprofen products slow down tooth movement. I won't take Advil anymore for anything. As for eating, I thought I'd be on a smoothy and mashed potatoes diet for 22 months but quickly started eating pretty much anything except for hard and crunchy food. You will start to feel more confident and comfortable with chewing lightly. I promise. One of my favories is warm wheat tortillias with melted cheese and guac. I quickly found I could tear up little pieces and eat it even when sore and it's solid food! You are in probably the toughest time right now but it doesn't last forever. About 10 days for me. Use wax on your brackets on the troubled areas. Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint which bracket is the culprit. Definitely get a waterpik. It's heaven. It's a.lot to get used to but you will. Good luck and it does get better.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

Gafs

#4 Post by Gafs »

Yes I remember the pain! My diet consisted of mash potato with mashed veggies with gravy most days followed by angel delight! Milkshakes like slimfast or supermarket equivalent were good too as it gives you lots of vitamins and minerals.

Salt water rinses help with the rubbing although at the start I would on the odd night completely cover my teeth with wax for bed for a 'treat' and in the morning the worst would have healed.

The pain freeness is in sight though and the lovely teeth at the end will be worth it :) good luck!

Catpotat

#5 Post by Catpotat »

3 weeks into braces, took at least 2 weeks for the worst to pass. Not being able to eat solid food for days will make you super miserable and watching other people eat is torture. Soft pasta saved my life - try Mac n cheese :) And remember you're not alone <3

miluti

#6 Post by miluti »

[quote="Meowmei"]3 weeks into braces, took at least 2 weeks for the worst to pass. Not being able to eat solid food for days will make you super miserable and watching other people eat is torture. Soft pasta saved my life - try Mac n cheese :) And remember you're not alone <3[/quote]

I've heard mac and cheese is a definite saviour! And soups - smooth soups with relatively little to chew (maybe a little potato or something). I imagine rice wouldn't be too bad either where you don't really have to chew? D-day is tomorrow for me! :shock:

miluti

#7 Post by miluti »

Braces were placed on Friday. So far I've managed to eat:

- Pasta with cooked veg/sliced chicken
- Lots of french fries
- Haddock Tips (smaller pieces of fish deep fried, but the breading isn't crunchy)
- Chicken SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM (bit gently with my side teeth, not my front teeth)
- Muffins (broken up and put in my mouth piece by piece)
- Greek salad (took my time)
- Fruit smoothies from McDonalds and a Frosty from Wendy's ;)
- Ice cream and popsicles

Mind you, nothing really hurt until yesterday afternoon. I'm finding it much harder to chew anything or put anything in my mouth. I see lots of soup and protein drinks in my future - woah nelly.

- TL canine pulled approx 1998 (childhood)
- BL canine pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- 4 impacted WT pulled Dec 2004 (adolescent)
- Braced (damon, top and bottom) Sep 2016
- BR canine pulled Feb 2017
- TMJ issues Mar 2017
- TR canine pulled Jun 2017
- TR extraction gap FINALLY closed July 2018
- Set to debond on Sept 21, 2018! :jump:

corbanderson01

#8 Post by corbanderson01 »

I mostly ate soft foods like applesauce, soup, and jelly sandwiches until I was able to handle harder foods. The pain should not last long.