waterpik vs floss effectiveness at removing plaque?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

scopus

waterpik vs floss effectiveness at removing plaque?

#1 Post by scopus »

hey what can i say im lazy and hattte flossing, like most ppl. and esp with braces takes so much time and effort, so wondering if i should buy waterpik and stop flossing all together. After researching theres 2 schools of thought, one that waterpik is more effective at removing plaque and 2 that it is not and is not a substitute, that it "doesnt remove plaque like floss does because effective flossing literally "wipes" the sticky plaque off teeth and Waterpiks can only "rinse" these areas" but is useful for removing food particles. Now i see theres some studies that show that waterpik is more effective than regular floss at removing plaque and they market it as so, but lots of ppl here and other places including dentists, hygenists...say it is not a replacement but a good addition. Im confused! :? if theres studies that say it is more effective why are people still saying it is not a substitute? are they just old school types cant get with the times or is there truth behind it? thoughts?..

EWUgal15

Re: waterpik vs floss effectiveness at removing plaque?

#2 Post by EWUgal15 »

Plaque is actually very soft and it doesn't take much to get it off your teeth. I use floss in conjunction with a WaterPik. I feel the floss gets under the gum line better while the WaterPik does well to rinse chunks out from around my brackets and under my wires.

JCloNY

#3 Post by JCloNY »

This is a great question. I'm interested in hearing the thoughts of others on this topic. Just trying to determine if I should continue to try to floss with floss for braces of if I should make the investment into a waterpik

iob

#4 Post by iob »

I asked myself the same question after I added up the time that it took to do the whole routine of water pic'ing, flossing, brushing. I found several credible articles that made feel better about relying mostly on the water flosser, though I still try to floss a couple times a week...just to be sure. Here's one that's more "plain English" than some academic pieces: https://www.adha.org/resources-docs/712 ... gation.pdf

JCloNY

#5 Post by JCloNY »

iob wrote:I asked myself the same question after I added up the time that it took to do the whole routine of water pic'ing, flossing, brushing. I found several credible articles that made feel better about relying mostly on the water flosser, though I still try to floss a couple times a week...just to be sure. Here's one that's more "plain English" than some academic pieces: https://www.adha.org/resources-docs/712 ... gation.pdf

I am leaning towards using the Waterpik everyday and using floss a few times a week. I'm sure with practice it will get easier but with how close my teeth are it is a pain to use regular (or super floss). Pre-braces I used floss picks every night religiously.
2-year sentence of clear top and bottom braces commencing March 23, 2016
November 2016 - Class III elastics (starts from the bottom canine and goes to the upper 1st molar) on both sides
December 2016 - Two front teeth filed (IPR?) to make space to close black triangle and a power chain; 4 front bottom ceramic brackets replaced with metal brackets to force the teeth straighter; 1 broken bottom molar bracket (courtesy of a Tootsie Roll craving);

spacey8008

#6 Post by spacey8008 »

[quote=scopus post_id=474772 time=1453455747 user_id=26166]
hey what can i say im lazy and hattte flossing, like most ppl. and esp with braces takes so much time and effort, so wondering if i should buy waterpik and stop flossing all together. After researching theres 2 schools of thought, one that waterpik is more effective at removing plaque and 2 that it is not and is not a substitute, that it "doesnt remove plaque like floss does because effective flossing literally "wipes" the sticky plaque off teeth and Waterpiks can only "rinse" these areas" but is useful for removing food particles. Now i see theres some studies that show that waterpik is more effective than regular floss at removing plaque and they market it as so, but lots of ppl here and other places including dentists, hygenists...say it is not a replacement but a good addition. Im confused! :? if theres studies that say it is more effective why are people still saying it is not a substitute? are they just old school types cant get with the times or is there truth behind it? thoughts?..
[/quote]
For your question, I suggest you use [url=http://www.SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM.com/]water flosser[/url].