New to elastics

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

reen71b

New to elastics

#1 Post by reen71b »

So, I've had my braces on 7 months now. I had a feeling, before this last appointment, that I was going to be started on elastics and I was right. Holy moly cow are my teeth sore STILL 4 days later! Is this supposed to be a constant thing the entire time I'm using elastics? I had the bottom wire changed out to a stiffer one and I kind of expect the pain from that to subside after a while. I have to say this constant pressure from the elastics is really rough! I'd like to hear anyone else's experiences with elastics if you don't mind!

dantocanada

Re: New to elastics

#2 Post by dantocanada »

I've been in various elastics configurations since February, and to be honest, they never really caused me any pain, unless you count the laceration caused by the elastic rubbing on the inside of my cheek.

Siobhan

#3 Post by Siobhan »

The pain eases up after a few days, so don't worry. Each time I've had to wear a new configuration, it hurts for a while and then gradually subsides. The key is to wear them as prescribed otherwise the pain is always "new". Agreed on the cheek lacerations. They suck.

reen71b

#4 Post by reen71b »

Siobhan wrote:The pain eases up after a few days, so don't worry. Each time I've had to wear a new configuration, it hurts for a while and then gradually subsides. The key is to wear them as prescribed otherwise the pain is always "new". Agreed on the cheek lacerations. They suck.
It's finally eased up a little. Sometimes the elastics rub on the inside of my cheeks but hasn't been too terribly sore........yet. Since I talk constantly at work this might aggravate it. I will most definitely wear them as told. Tylenol seems to help a but but doesn't last more than 2-3 hrs. So, I end up putting up with the pain for a bit as I don't want to over do the pain meds. The bottom teeth where the wire was changed out to a stiffer one has eased up. I can deal with one part of my mouth sore. It's just such a bear when it's top and bottom. I asked my orthodontist if I could still wear the elastics while eating and she said I could as long as I don't have a problem with it. So, I just take them out the short time I clean my teeth then put them back in. Thanks for the responses!

EWUgal15

#5 Post by EWUgal15 »

I've been in class I elastics since May. I got my first sets of power chains the same appointment that I was prescribed elastics and wow...I was in a steady stream of dull soreness for about a week and a half. Things eased up and were fine until my most recent appointment, where I was told to wear the same configuration, but to loop the elastic slightly differently so that it was exerting more pressure. The first couple days weren't fun, but it faded much faster. The elastics get better with time.

reen71b

#6 Post by reen71b »

Wow has it been a long time since I posted. I got my bottom power chain about 3 months ago. I had my appointment yesterday. As my orthodontist has said the past 3 visits, I am ahead of treatment. It pays to listen to your orthodontists! :D She said we were going to do a bit of adjustment. Wasn't sure what she meant by that. She usually tells me what they'll be doing that day. I sit in the chair. Noticed she was taking the top wire out and putting in a new one. Hmmmmmm. Then I see the power chain being put on my top teeth. Yay! Then I see her taking out the bottom wire and replacing it as well. I find out after I am in stainless steel wires for top and bottom and power chains top and bottom. I'm guessing the stainless steel is the strongest? This is good news I think. So happy with the progress so far. If only I had some before pictures before I started orthodontics. You all would be stunned! lol