The BEST flossing tip I didn't know!

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

parsleysage

The BEST flossing tip I didn't know!

#1 Post by parsleysage »

For those of us who don't/can't use ortho picks or super floss, TIE your floss to the threader! This has cut my flossing time in half and made me enthused about the habit again.

I use a slip knot (make a loop then feed the ends through) for easy untying. After I'm done I just take a little dental pick - you could also use a toothpick or paperclip - and unslip the slip knot.

So thrilled that I found this out. I can't remember what made me try it but I'm glad I did! :dance:

TheProfessor

Re: The BEST flossing tip I didn't know!

#2 Post by TheProfessor »

Thanks for the great tip! I tried it last night and it worked great! :thumbsup:
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

kleinblue

#3 Post by kleinblue »

*mind blown* I will definitely start trying this

Bracesat57

#4 Post by Bracesat57 »

I bought the floss that is already attached to the threader. It is specifically for braces. I love it.

adorkable8605

#5 Post by adorkable8605 »

I use the glide floss with the threader attached and it makes it so much easier. The super floss is huge and just makes flossing painful, so I have an unused box of that as well...

Leias

#6 Post by Leias »

When I first got the threaders, I didn't know how to use them, so that is how I did it. I didn't find out until a few months in that most people don't do it that way! I have also found that Reach total care floss is awesome. The material it is made of is stretchy and flexible so it doesn't get caught and shredded on my braces. Plus when my teeth were really tight with crowding early on, it was the only kind I could get in some spaces. Amazing the things that can make you happy :-)

jfriend33

#7 Post by jfriend33 »

Now to be redundant, but I can't stand super floss! My spaces are tight and that fuzzy thick end always gets caught on brackets!

Try using regular waxed floss. Pull out a long amount and leave one inch between your thumb and finger. Reach back to pull in your cheek with the floss pointed down and it will fall right in the space so you can pull it through! Voila!

Keep it very dry and wipe off any saliva when advancing from tooth two tooth. This keeps the end more rigid.

ThoriatedFlash

#8 Post by ThoriatedFlash »

I tried super floss a couple of days after I got my braces on and it was horrible. I gave it another shot a few days later and it wasn't bad. It took a couple of days to get used to. I wouldn't floss a day or so after getting them on or after adjustments if your teeth are really sore.

chinglnc

#9 Post by chinglnc »

Can someone do a video and demonstrate how to do this? I am too stupid to follow a written instructions :-(