Weight loss

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

lexieplexie

Weight loss

#1 Post by lexieplexie »

Has anyone lost weight as a result of having braces? Im 5'7 and maintained a weight of 130lbs for most of my adult life. I noticed that after I got my braces put on I lost quite a bit of weight the first week being that I wasn't able to eat solid food. Im now down to 125lbs. Although Im now able to eat solids I often time cant be bothered with the stress of cleaning my teeth, hence no snacking. I have 2 meals per day and not so much in between. Don't get me wrong, Im not starving myself just wondering if I should be worried. I havent lost any more weight Im just sort of cruising at 125lbs. My friends have commented on my weight loss and I suppose im a little self conscious.

purplestar

Re: Weight loss

#2 Post by purplestar »

I am 10 weeks with braces and I lost 10 pound. I am still on soft diet as it hurt to chew or bite :(

lexieplexie

#3 Post by lexieplexie »

purplestar wrote:I am 10 weeks with braces and I lost 10 pound. I am still on soft diet as it hurt to chew or bite :(
Wow :( hope you can get off that soft food diet soon

kewpi

#4 Post by kewpi »

So far I have lost about 5kg (braced since april 1st). I snack a lot less at work because I don't want people to see me with stuff between my teeth. At home I have my waterpik I don't worry so much and tend to eat more. :oops:

jdixon0815

#5 Post by jdixon0815 »

I just told my sister that Im getting braces that includes a summer diet ;-)
:dance:

cs2thecox

#6 Post by cs2thecox »

I lost a few kilos at the start when it hurt to eat, food made me miserable, and I wasn't snacking because it all hurt etc etc.

Sadly after a few months I figured out I could still eat chocolate and I'm back to where I started :-*

Kevinr144

#7 Post by Kevinr144 »

I supplemented meals with protein shakes the first week when it hurt too much to chew, so no I didn't lose any weight. Now, I eat everything I did before, just takes me more time to do it, lol.

tdm

#8 Post by tdm »

I've only had the top ones on so far and I found that although it was pretty painful to eat for the first week, it's still not that difficult to eat 2500 calories in soft foods and consequently I dont think I lost any weight.

nuna

#9 Post by nuna »

I was wondering about the weight loss today. I hope it will be a little bonus of getting braces:)

Getting braces should stop my evening G&T and bag of crisps routine! :D

lorsa

#10 Post by lorsa »

7 weeks in and I've lost 4 pounds. It would probably be higher if I hadn't indulged in so many milkshakes and ice creams for the first 3 weeks.

But now that I've discovered white wine is a passable substitute for my beloved red, my weight loss will probably stop :) .

altesse7

#11 Post by altesse7 »

I'm trying to lose weight. I'm 5'6" and 200 lbs. baby weight. So, I've lost 35 lbs, since getting my braces on. :tingrin: I'm also doing bootcamp, eating very clean and drinking protein shakes. I ride horses, too. It's a good thing!
May 6,2013- Traditional Braces applied
To upper and lower
Length of treatment- 18-24 months
No more Elastics, as of 10/20/14
Horse Lover

Kitri

#12 Post by Kitri »

I was hoping I would lose some weight too but then I discovered Alpro Chocolate Almond Milk as a substitute for sweet treats... :p
But yeah, I am definitely eating less anyway as it's such a hardship for me to eat even soft foods - takes me 30min to finish a soup!

Snowglobe32

#13 Post by Snowglobe32 »

30 lbs in the first 3 months...

Basher

#14 Post by Basher »

Lost a stone and ive only had it on 3 weeks

mapleleafman888

#15 Post by mapleleafman888 »

I lost about 8 lbs in the first few months.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!