Which powered toothbrush to get?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

ljms

Which powered toothbrush to get?

#1 Post by ljms »

It's time for me to break down and buy a powered toothbrush, but the choice is making my head spin.

I'm leaning towards the Sonicare Flexcare Platinum because it has a pressure sensor. The price of it has me gagging a bit though. Add to that, SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM' web site totally sucks. It crashes when I try to search for local retailers so I've been manually searching. I've only found one local source so far.

What do you guys recommend? I'd like a sonic toothbrush and I rather not spend more than $150CAN if I can.

Yecats99

Re: Which powered toothbrush to get?

#2 Post by Yecats99 »

Well, I’m not sure about all the fancy pricy toothbrushes, however, I have an Oral B Cross Action toothbrush. I found it at Walmart for $16. It’s electric and it comes with a base to sit in and charge when plugged in. The tip rotates and the other bristles move back and forth. The replacement heads are about $6 for two. I hope this helps.

Yecats

cs2thecox

#3 Post by cs2thecox »

I use an Oral B Triumph - recommended by my dentist. But it is expensive...

I recently saw a new sonic brush that makes amazing claims, but I have no idea how good it is
https://uk.emmi-dent.com/

I'll ask my hygenist tomorrow, but given she hadn't heard of a WaterPik... :roll:

ljms

#4 Post by ljms »

I had an inexpensive powered brush at one time but I destroyed it because I couldn't keep it clean. I'm hoping that more expensive also means better quality.

It looks like the Oral-B Triumph series isn't available in Canada but there Professional series looks similar so I'll look into it further.

Thanks for the help so far.

flossyourself

#5 Post by flossyourself »

I'm in the market for a new toothbrush

Looks like the Oral-B Professional and Sonicare are pretty much the same.
Planning on ordering a Sonicare HealthyWhite very soon :HugeGrin: I know someone who has one and loves it.

altesse7

#6 Post by altesse7 »

I have the Oral B 5000, and it is so much better than a manual tooth brush.
My ortho gave it to me. It comes with a timer, that senses how long and how hard you are brushing. It is rechargeable. And, I took it with me on a trip from MA to FL, didn't charge it,for maybe 3 days and used it, 3x a day. It works wonderfully, for me! Love the clean feeling I get, after brushing with this tooth brush. Will never go back!
May 6,2013- Traditional Braces applied
To upper and lower
Length of treatment- 18-24 months
No more Elastics, as of 10/20/14
Horse Lover

ljms

#7 Post by ljms »

altesse7 wrote:I have the Oral B 5000, and it is so much better than a manual tooth brush.
Thanks! I've been looking at that one. Amazon has a very good price for it. A long time between charges is a big benefit to me as there isn't any room in my tiny bathroom for the charger.

Thanks for the feedback.

altesse7

#8 Post by altesse7 »

Sure! It's an amazing toothbrush!
May 6,2013- Traditional Braces applied
To upper and lower
Length of treatment- 18-24 months
No more Elastics, as of 10/20/14
Horse Lover

parsleysage

#9 Post by parsleysage »

I have the Oral-B Triumph 4000. It was $45 dollar cheaper than the 5000 and the only difference seemed to be a little wireless "smart brush" thing that showed a timer of how long you were brushing. (Doesn't make sense cause the brush already beeps when it's time to stop/change quadrants... even though it looked cool in a YouTube vid I saw, it didn't look $45 worth of cool! :lol: )

I've read that the oscillating brushes are more effective than the vibrating sonic brushes, but really if you are brushing at least twice a day you're ahead of a lot of people already! After that it would just be a contest between great and excellent.

saramwms

#10 Post by saramwms »

I like my Oral B Pro.

ljms

#11 Post by ljms »

I guess I should have posted an update. Sorry.

I ended up getting the Oral B Professional 5000. After using it for about three weeks I've developed a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.

On the positive side, there is no question that my teeth are cleaner. It's doing a very good job of keeping the plaque buildup on my lower incisors in check.

On the negative side, the sonic action gives me a bit of a headache while I'm brushing. Fortunately, the headache fades quickly after I stop.

For Canadians thinking of buying this brush, the best price was on Amazon.ca.