A Question about canker sore medicine in tubes.

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Old Lady

A Question about canker sore medicine in tubes.

#1 Post by Old Lady »

I developed canker sore (which I have never had before) on my cheek beside one scratching bracket.
i tried salt and water but this did not work.
So, I bought two kinds of medicine in tubes especially for canker sores.
The one is Anbesol Gel and the other Orajel Ultra.
The Anbesol was a little strong tasting but worked fine.
The Orajel was absolutely awful tasting and burned my mouth.
Good thing the sore was healed over or it could have burned seriously.
I am wondering if any one has has had a similar experience??

Roses

Re: A Question about canker sore medicine in tubes.

#2 Post by Roses »

I have one at the moment and I'm just using wax 24/7. Mine is due to an elastic on a rotated tooth, and as the wire sticks out a bit on one side of the bracket, the elastic is super taut and it is sheer pain, but the wax is an absolute life-saver. :D

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

You may find this article helpful:

http://www.dentakit.com/howtomabrmos.html
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Old Lady

#4 Post by Old Lady »

bbsadmin wrote:You may find this article helpful:

http://www.dentakit.com/howtomabrmos.html
Thank you for the info.
I am in a small city in Canada and some times the drug store here does not have any thing else but what they normally stock.
I am hoping I get more calluses and scar tissue as I go on.
I have one hook on the lower canine tooth that is very pokey but that varies from day today.

Snowglobe32

#5 Post by Snowglobe32 »

If you get future sores, I have great success with Benzodent. It is similiar to orajel, but it is a thick paste. It sticks like crazy and usually heals a sore overnight. I apply it with a q-tip. My favorite dental do-dad!

redwine

#6 Post by redwine »

Each morning after brushing I use my waterpik with about 2 tbs hydrogen peroxide added to the water in the tank. It seems to halt any impending sores in their tracks. Dabbing it directly on a sore (like after adjustments) also works to heal pretty fast. It's cheap and easy. I rinse with water and Phos-Flur after.

Old Lady

#7 Post by Old Lady »

redwine wrote:Each morning after brushing I use my waterpik with about 2 tbs hydrogen peroxide added to the water in the tank. It seems to halt any impending sores in their tracks. Dabbing it directly on a sore (like after adjustments) also works to heal pretty fast. It's cheap and easy. I rinse with water and Phos-Flur after.
Thank you for the information!
I NEVER uses my watepik as I have found it too messy.

TMJJill

#8 Post by TMJJill »

I LOVEd using Mack's silicone ear pillow wax. It molds well, stays on well and is very soft.

For the sore, I had a pharmacist give me a 'recipe' that is an OTC version of a prescription. The items are easy to find. You take equal parts of liquid antacid and liquid antihistamine (Benedryl) and mix them together. I just bought generic and mixed about 1 tsp at a time. If you have a lot of pain, you can add a third part that is like the liquid anbesol. The antacid helps with the 'acidity' of the sore and the antihistamine calms the inflammation of the sore. I usually used a Q-tip to apply to the sores throughout the day.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Old Lady

#9 Post by Old Lady »

TMJJill wrote:I LOVEd using Mack's silicone ear pillow wax. It molds well, stays on well and is very soft.

For the sore, I had a pharmacist give me a 'recipe' that is an OTC version of a prescription. The items are easy to find. You take equal parts of liquid antacid and liquid antihistamine (Benedryl) and mix them together. I just bought generic and mixed about 1 tsp at a time. If you have a lot of pain, you can add a third part that is like the liquid anbesol. The antacid helps with the 'acidity' of the sore and the antihistamine calms the inflammation of the sore. I usually used a Q-tip to apply to the sores throughout the day.
thank you for your reply and the information!

jesamyn

#10 Post by jesamyn »

[quote="Snowglobe32"]If you get future sores, I have great success with Benzodent. It is similiar to orajel, but it is a thick paste. It sticks like crazy and usually heals a sore overnight. I apply it with a q-tip. My favorite dental do-dad![/quote]

I got some of this to try last night. It tastes very strange, but it works wonderfully. So much better than orajel.

Bracedbeauty22

#11 Post by Bracedbeauty22 »

[quote="Snowglobe32"]If you get future sores, I have great success with Benzodent. It is similiar to orajel, but it is a thick paste. It sticks like crazy and usually heals a sore overnight. I apply it with a q-tip. My favorite dental do-dad![/quote]

Wow, I'll have to find this!

ilovedexter

#12 Post by ilovedexter »

Me too. I have quite a few sores in my mouth from talking so much today.

HeyKay1991

#13 Post by HeyKay1991 »

I found that the canker sore stuff in the tubes never worked for me. I had canker sores in odd places, like the inside of my lip, which made it hard for any type of ointment or gel to do any good. I eventually went to my dentist, who prescribed me a Magic Mouthwash, which is benadryl, lidocaine, and antacid, all mixed together. It does a wonderful job of numbing the area. Yeah, it's cherry flavored but it works. Unfortunately, it's expensive. I paid 60 bucks for two bottles but it works!

chloespeaks

Not about medicine in tubes, but one solution for canker sor

#14 Post by chloespeaks »

Canker sores are genetically predispositioned, and I have suffered through them since I was small. What I discovered a mere 5 years years ago (pre-braces) was that the amino acid L-Lysine, about 1,000-2,000 mg 3x a day right at the onset yielded results within 24 hours. They used to plague me for a week. Now, doing this from the onset, there is relief by the next day. They begin healing right away, or at least is a very mild case. they don't open up and stay open for days like they used to.

It's the same treatment as for herpes relief, but the two afflictions are actually not related. Whereas herpes is viral, canker sores are just a predisposition.

And Lysine is inexpensive.

Camblkid

#15 Post by Camblkid »

I get them randomly, out of the blue. I'll pick up some L-Lysine next time I see it. I'm willing to try anything to help! Orajel is only a temporary help, the Orajel mouthwash burns then tastes horrible. I'm at my wits end! I'll also be asking my dentist about a mouthwash too! Thanks for the ideas!