Oral B Superfloss is awful.

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

cavomington

Oral B Superfloss is awful.

#1 Post by cavomington »

I bought a pack. It's much easier and faster to use than a threader, but what kind of material is it made of? It's almost fabric like, it ended up ripping and got stuck to one of my top brackets. I'd love to have a more waxy material with the firm tip.

cavomington

Re: Oral B Superfloss is awful.

#2 Post by cavomington »

Thanks for the rec! I'll pick some up tomorrow.

BraceFace2o1o

#3 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I totally agree! I have nearly a whole pack sitting in my cupboard because I couldn't get on with it. The stiff end is great for threading when wearing braces, but apart from that I dislike it. Unfortunately in the UK we don't seem to have much for braces and this is the only floss I think is sold with the stiff end. Never mind, I'll stick to my floss threaders.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

cavomington

#4 Post by cavomington »

Wow, I didn't see that there were already 3 or 4 other threads up about how terrible this floss is.

Chrystal wrote:I totally agree! I have nearly a whole pack sitting in my cupboard because I couldn't get on with it. The stiff end is great for threading when wearing braces, but apart from that I dislike it. Unfortunately in the UK we don't seem to have much for braces and this is the only floss I think is sold with the stiff end. Never mind, I'll stick to my floss threaders.
Use Ebay, and just search "threader floss", make sure the view international sellers option is available. I don't see any CVS Floss on there(Thanks for the rec btw, it works great!), but I see a bunch of Glide Threader floss. I might try that one out once I run out of the CVS brand I'm using. Floss threaders work just fine, but I already spend enough time cleaning braces, I'll take any slight convenience.

Lauralee

#5 Post by Lauralee »

I agree! I liked it at first, but then after awhile of using it; it would get caught in my braces and I'd have little threads in my brackets..

TMJJill

#6 Post by TMJJill »

I agree with the Superfloss. It just gets stuck and shreds and makes the task much harder.

I LOVE the Glide threader floss. It does well for me.

Recently, I had surgery and was in a cast and one-handed which made flossing pretty much impossible. I started using those orthodontic flossers. The plastic on one side fits under the bracket. The floss isn't as tight, but it has worked for me just fine also. I liked the CVS or Den tek brands of those.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Nana51

#7 Post by Nana51 »

Looks like old topic, but I have just started this journey. I have found the super floss much easier to use than dealing with the floss threaders. The stiff end is great and then I move past the thread-like section to get to the actual floss. It works great for me.

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

SuperFloss (and the other floss brands like it, which have a thick spongy element) are better for people with wide gaps. They do not work well if your teeth are very tight.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

mysticgirl916

#9 Post by mysticgirl916 »

Which is why I mostly use the Superfloss on my top teeth. I came back from the drug store this afternoon with two packs of Glide floss and practiced with it and a threader on my bottom teeth because they're so tight. It worked like a charm - it slid through easily and didn't get caught in my brackets

cs2thecox

#10 Post by cs2thecox »

I have to use Superfloss round my implant, because apparently you don't want to go poking normal floss right up around the implant fixing - it needs something a bit gentler. So the spongy section of the Superfloss is ideal.
But I'd never tried it anywhere else...

Until I got my linguals, I'd been using Glide floss picks, but because of the braces have switched to Glide Threader Floss. It's a right pain going under all the brackets, but I like that the threader is built on to the end of the floss.

zambiewambie

#11 Post by zambiewambie »

Good thing I found the thread, I've been using it for a while... I think I'll go with the Glide Threader now. :o

kids041

#12 Post by kids041 »

LOVE the Glide threader floss! It is expensive tho! $5.75 for 30 days worth... :/

cs2thecox

#13 Post by cs2thecox »

I bought a WaterPik just after making my last post...
SO much easier, and if you believe the claims on the box then better than normal floss anyway.

I guess I'll see what my hygenist says and go from there.

And yes, the Glide isn't cheap, but it's cheaper than new teeth :lol:
(And as my hygenist pointed out, you can use each length of floss more than once - it lasts really, really well.)

mysticgirl916

#14 Post by mysticgirl916 »

With the Glide floss, I use the one for sensitive teeth every time I get an adjustment, then I switch off to the deep cleaning floss

TMJJill

#15 Post by TMJJill »

I didn't love the Superfloss while I was in braces. I had a bunch left when I got them off. I found that I really liked it when I didn't have to worry about it snagging on the brackets.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!