Steradent for retainers

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jen8626

Steradent for retainers

#1 Post by Jen8626 »

Hello everyone

Just wondering if any UK people are using or have used steradent tablets to clean essix retainers? Just wondered if they're a good alternative to retainer brite? I'm getting de-braced next week so thinking ahead. Also steradent is available in all supermarkets unlike retainer brite.

Thanks
Jen

Fangpull

Re: Steradent for retainers

#2 Post by Fangpull »

I advise my patients to use any liquid soap (washing-up liquid or even hand soap) and to scrub them gently with a stiff denture brush and COLD water. I do not recommend any other products, including Steradent, bleach or toothpaste. Do not store your retainers in water.

Jen8626

Re: Steradent for retainers

#3 Post by Jen8626 »

Washing up liquid?!!! That's crazy talk! I was advised a soft brush and just cold water to rinse, retainer brite and not to use toothpaste as it is abrasive. I'd never use hand wash or washing up liquid, you wouldn't put it in you mouth ordinarily so why on earth would you wash retainers with it? yuk!! I think this is a hoax message.