Toothpaste questions: Whitening, Baking soda, Sensodyne?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

White Fang

Toothpaste questions: Whitening, Baking soda, Sensodyne?

#1 Post by White Fang »

Hello everyone,

1 week and counting here with linguals on the top, and soon to be regular metal on the bottom teeth.

I was using a Tom's of Maine sensitive/whitening toothpaste. I switched to Sensodyne after getting braced, as the info sheet my ortho gave me said not to brush with baking soda as it could possibly dissolve the glue. (It just said "baking soda", not "baking soda toothpaste," but I didn't want any problems even though this particular Tom's wasn't a baking soda paste.)

I also read online that one should avoid any whitening stuff when braced as you might be left with bracket marks when the braces come off. With the linguals, that's probably less of a big deal but since I'm getting regular braces on the bottom I would like to find a toothpaste I can live with that's not whitening.

I'd never used Sensodyne before but two dentists have recommended it to me. Problem is, after brushing, everywhere around my mouth where the foam has touched turns RED, like I ate a cherry popsicle (As an aside, I would LOVE to be able to eat a popsicle for real right now -- but anyway,) it's not itchy or puffy, but I do feel it.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any recommendations for a braces-friendly paste? Is it true about baking soda and whitening being problematic? I've sort of found contradictory stuff when searching.

Sayrah

Re: Toothpaste questions: Whitening, Baking soda, Sensodyne?

#2 Post by Sayrah »

[quote="White Fang"]Hello everyone,

1 week and counting here with linguals on the top, and soon to be regular metal on the bottom teeth.

I was using a Tom's of Maine sensitive/whitening toothpaste. I switched to Sensodyne after getting braced, as the info sheet my ortho gave me said not to brush with baking soda as it could possibly dissolve the glue. (It just said "baking soda", not "baking soda toothpaste," but I didn't want any problems even though this particular Tom's wasn't a baking soda paste.)

I also read online that one should avoid any whitening stuff when braced as you might be left with bracket marks when the braces come off. With the linguals, that's probably less of a big deal but since I'm getting regular braces on the bottom I would like to find a toothpaste I can live with that's not whitening.

I'd never used Sensodyne before but two dentists have recommended it to me. Problem is, after brushing, everywhere around my mouth where the foam has touched turns RED, like I ate a cherry popsicle (As an aside, I would LOVE to be able to eat a popsicle for real right now -- but anyway,) it's not itchy or puffy, but I do feel it.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any recommendations for a braces-friendly paste? Is it true about baking soda and whitening being problematic? I've sort of found contradictory stuff when searching.[/quote]

I've used Colgate Mint Stripe gel for the past 7 years I've had my braces on because it's one of the few toothpastes that I've found that does not contain anything to whiten teeth. I also like the way the toothpaste feels (probably because I'm weird and I don't like the paste types of toothpaste). I've never heard about baking soda causing white spots, but I have heard that baking soda doesn't really get rid of them like I've heard some people talk about.

Jensniffer

#3 Post by Jensniffer »

I found it incredibly hard to find tooth paste now days that doesn't advertise itself as a whitening toothpaste. I must have looked like a madwoman reading every box in the dental aisle lol

marybee

#4 Post by marybee »

I've been using baking soda toothpaste since I had my braces put on and really like it. It makes my teeth feel squeaky clean and since I can't use whitening strips :lol: this is the next best thing other than using baking soda and the "after taste" to that is nasty! :FeelSick: