used oral b electric toothbrush for the first time

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

GRILLZ

used oral b electric toothbrush for the first time

#1 Post by GRILLZ »

wow. i've never used an electric toothbrush before. this was a wild experience. when i think about it....it did feel like when the dentist cleans my teeth. but i wasn't expecting that much vibration.....i used the lowest setting and it was about all i could take. i ordered the extra soft heads to see if that will help. my teeth do feel pretty clean. i'm still trying to figure out this timer it comes with.....i guess it tells you how long you been brushing. i like to think of myself as somewhat competent w/ tech stuff but i've spent most of the evening staring at the instruction manual. maybe it's my headache and the cold/allergies thing i have going on.

i can see that this is going to be pretty vigorous on sensitive teeth that have just been braced. ...so when can you use it??

GRILLZ

Re: used oral b electric toothbrush for the first time

#2 Post by GRILLZ »

update...didn't take long but i'm now officially in love w/ my oral b electric toothbrush. i have never before thought that it was at all fun to brush my teeth....ever. using the oral b it actually is!! and my very yellow teeth might look a tad less yellow! :-} :heart: :-} :heart:

drgnchsr36

#3 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I tend to vacillate between the electric and a really soft toothbrush. I tend to brush too hard, so I eventually go back to the electric ..

Glad you like it :)

BraceFace2o1o

#4 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I have an oral b electric toothbrush too, but haven't used it much since being in braces due to sensitivity. Glad you like it. It's really quite a difference when you have used a manual toothbrush for years then start using an electric one. I've been thinking of buying a Sonicare to see what that's like, but they aren't cheap so not sure yet.
drgnchsr36 wrote:I tend to vacillate between the electric and a really soft toothbrush..
I do this too. If someone saw my collection of 'teeth stuff' they'd have a laugh and call me obsessed lol :lol:
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

drgnchsr36

#5 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Chrystal wrote:I have an oral b electric toothbrush too, but haven't used it much since being in braces due to sensitivity. Glad you like it. It's really quite a difference when you have used a manual toothbrush for years then start using an electric one. I've been thinking of buying a Sonicare to see what that's like, but they aren't cheap so not sure yet.
drgnchsr36 wrote:I tend to vacillate between the electric and a really soft toothbrush..
I do this too. If someone saw my collection of 'teeth stuff' they'd have a laugh and call me obsessed lol :lol:
hehehe.. same here. I'm getting quite the collection. I just got a new electric toothbrush from my ortho as part of my goodie bag. It seems like it's a bit more sophisticated than my existing one. I didn't look at it too closely yet - so not sure which one it was - just surprised that she gave one out at all.

Good healthy teeth though is good for your overall health - so whatever it takes to do that I think is good. :)

GRILLZ

#6 Post by GRILLZ »

After my enthusiasm of brushing last night for 3 1/2 minutes each time.....i woke up this morning w/ my teeth/gums feeling quite sensitive. me thinks i over did it last night. my teeth were quite sensitive to hot and or cold. so i just rinsed my mouth out w/ water this am and i'll see how things are feeling tonite. but i think i need to ease in a bit more slowly.... +\+

Ellebraced

#7 Post by Ellebraced »

Hey Grillz

I am in love with my Oral b too. When you get your braces off get the polishing heads. IT IS AMAZING, made my teeth so much whiter (they were getting pretty stained for daily tea and coffee) and they know feeling stained again

I really really really miss the polishing head, it made my teeth very so clean too.

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

GRILLZ

#8 Post by GRILLZ »

i used the polishiing head while braces are on, is this a no no :?:

i've had to go back to manual for a while now, have one tooth that is ultra sensitive and if i have vibrations anywhere in my mouth....it's not a go w/ this tooth....missing my e toothbrush :(

jellybeans

#9 Post by jellybeans »

I'm worried about using an electric toothbrush after my braces getting adjusted too! Getting the wires and lower brackets put in next week, still planning to get either Sonicare or sticking with the Oral B I have right now... but maybe I'll stick with gentle manual brushing on the first night so I don't writhe with pain :(

bracketeer

#10 Post by bracketeer »

GRILLZ wrote:update...didn't take long but i'm now officially in love w/ my oral b electric toothbrush. i have never before thought that it was at all fun to brush my teeth....ever. using the oral b it actually is!! and my very yellow teeth might look a tad less yellow! :-} :heart: :-} :heart:

Hi Grillz!

I'm in the market for an electric toothbrush! Which Oral B model do you have? Great to hear you're having such good results :-}
Embraced in a heavy metal romance with Damon since 8/10/11. This affair is destined to last at least 12 months : )

Amethyst

#11 Post by Amethyst »

Grillz, you're experience with the vibrations of an electric toothbrush reminds me of the time I tried to use one. My dentist was recommending that I use an electric toothbrush, but my parents weren't up for paying $200 for the one they showed us. However, my dad has an electric Sonicare toothbrush with some extra heads for it, since you can change them, so he let me try it. I put it on the lowest setting and tried to brush my teeth. I started bursting out laughing from the tickling sensation... Needless to say, I stuck with my old manual toothbrush. :P

crooked rory

#12 Post by crooked rory »

I got a Professional Care Smartseries 4000 the day after I got my braces, and let le tell you, I LOVE IT :tingrin: I had to wait 2 days for the Ortho heads to arrive for it. The intense tickling is still taking some getting used to, but I can now brush my teeth without bleeding. Unlike my very soft manual toothbrush that I got from the periodontist (am still kinda curious why he gave me a pink toothbrush), which I still get carried away and brush too hard with. Not only do they not bleed, they even feel cleaner. If I had one of these back in 2007, I never would have went those 4 years without brushing. It was tough stomaching the $130 plus tax pricetag but I am really hoping it helps protect my teeth during and after almost $6000 worth of orthodontic work.

TWild

#13 Post by TWild »

I've used an Oral B electric for about 10+ years now. Mine broke about a year ago and i had to use a regular toothbrush for a while. Let me tell you, my teeth were not cleaned near as much as with the OB. My hygienest even said I only need to come for a cleaning 2x per year instead of the normal 3x for people with braces. I could never go back! :P
Braced 10-06-2008
De-Braced 11-21-2011 Woohoo!

BracedSurgeryStudent

#14 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

I just started on my Oral B electronic toothbrush as well and all I can say is WOW on the cleanness. I have the Pulsonic how about you?
Jenn Medeiros

graciebaby28

#15 Post by graciebaby28 »

I still remember the day the orthodontist gave my son his first Oral-B electric toothbrush. After he used it he went on and on about how great his teeth felt. I went out and bought one that day so I could see what all the fuss was about. After using it I was so wowed by it that I went back and bought one for everyone in the family. What a difference it made!