Suitable Toothbrushes!

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lucy

Suitable Toothbrushes!

#1 Post by Lucy »

I bought a special orthodontist brush in the chemist. I thought that it would be good since it was especially designed for braces. It was awful felt like a yard brush it was so tough and hard on the gums. I showed it to my hygieniest and she said to stop using it. I'm now using a lovely soft brush which she recommended. Its a stage two kids brush. Its a tiny little head on top and it minimises all the damage those big tough hard brushes do to your tender gums.

Whirliebird

#2 Post by Whirliebird »

I need to buy a new brush, as the one i had from the ortho when my braces were fitted is looking a little worse for wear now, and it doesn't seem to do a very good job of cleaning my bottom teeth below the brace line. So i think i'll try a kiddies brush now - see if it works any better. Thanks for the info :D
Damon 3's top and bottom

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Generally you can get good results with an "orthodontic-cut" toothbrush. This type of brush has shorter bristles in the middle. When you look at it head-on, the bristles look like a "V" (see my poorly crafted example, below ;-). They aren't especially hard or anything.

lll lll
lll llll
llllllll

A company sent me a sample of a brush with hard plastic bristles that wrapped around your teeth. And I mean HARD. I used it once when I had braces to see what it was like, and it was awful! I wonder if this is the brush you're talking about?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!