What mouthwash do you like to use?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFace2o1o

What mouthwash do you like to use?

#1 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

As the title says - What mouthwash do you use?

How many times per day do you rinse with it?

I prefer ones without alcohol as I am not too fond of the burning sensation, but I am just picky like that. Also, I worry about certain ones staining teeth... so I'm trying to find out one that doesn't.

I am currently using Sensodyne Pro Namel, it doesn't contain alcohol and is a light greenish colour (I use it once a day, after brushing my teeth before bed). I wanted the clear one, but it contained alcohol... although I might try it when this one runs out.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

NervousNewbie

#2 Post by NervousNewbie »

I use ACT Anti-Cavity. It is green. It does not have alcohol. I use it 2x a day.

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I use ACT Total Care (blue) 2x a day.

I have used it for almost the entire year I have had braces and I have had no problems what so ever.

I have tried several others but like this one the best.

N'awlinsRach

#4 Post by N'awlinsRach »

I use purple Listerine in the morning and phosflor at night. I am not a fan of the Listerine but Im a lazy flosser. I tend to use the little rubber picks that GUM makes a lot more than string floss.

opera^gal

#5 Post by opera^gal »

Plax green once a day
2/2/09: metal braces T/B
8/20/10: braced removed (18mons, 18days), hawley retainers T/B
9/16/10: LR central incisor extracted (failed root canal)
2/23/11: implant/bone graft
9/15/11: implant crown placed, lower lingual bonding corrected
9/21/11: upper bonding on lateral gaps from upper arch forward advancement
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

BaliGirl

#6 Post by BaliGirl »

I use Biotene in the morning and evening (very gentle, no alcohol), and PhosFlur before I go to bed.

BraceFace2o1o

#7 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Well I went to my local supermarket today and bought the other Sensodyne one that does contain alcohol (says low). I bought it because it hasn't got Cetylpyridinium chloride in the ingredients list, where as my other Sensodyne mouthwash that I have been using (that doesn't contain alochol) does contain Cetylpyridinium chloride.

Theresa48

#8 Post by Theresa48 »

I've started rinsing with peroxide and water 50/50 after evertime I brush (3 times a day or more) The bottle says you can do that 4 times a day. I guess you have to be careful not to swallow it (eeewww, why would you?)

It's working for me...I'm hoping the hygienist will say "wow, what have you been doing, your teeth and gums look incredible...."

All I know is all the crap I have spent so much money on is now eating my lips! Peroxide, salt, and baking soda are all cheap, and I think do a better job!

Dilema

#9 Post by Dilema »

NervousNewbie wrote:I use ACT Anti-Cavity. It is green. It does not have alcohol. I use it 2x a day.
same here

been using it for a month, I like it

luchababe

#10 Post by luchababe »

I started using Listerine Total Care for Sensitive Teeth. It's claims:

-Protects nerve endings against that sharp sudden sensitive feeling, through Potassium Nitrate
-Strengthens & protects tooth enamel, even between the teeth through Fluoride
-Kills up to 99%* of oral bacteria that cause gums to recede and expose sensitive areas
-Keeps gums healthier as cleans hard to reach places that brushing may miss
-Reduces plaque formation by up to 56% more than brushing alone

Twice a day I rinse with it. I don't find it burns so I guess I don't mind the alcohol in it. But now I learn that the alcohol might stain teeth on some people! Now what? I have a HUGE bottle of it! Maybe I'll cut back to rinsing once a day and see what the hygienist says at my december adjustment appointment...

Just when I think I have my brushing technique sorted out... :?

GRILLZ

Re: What mouthwash do you like to use?

#11 Post by GRILLZ »

i worry about using any colored mouthwash, though i just bought a bottle of act green without alcholohol. i saw a bottle of crest mouthwash that is clear it was antiplacque but didn't have fluoride.....i wonder how that would be. has anyone tried it?

Jen8626

#12 Post by Jen8626 »

hey, I use colgate fluoriguard alchohol free. It's pretty good, rinse x2 daily. Interestingly my ortho said not to use mouthwash with alcohol as this may cause damage to enamel and/or stain teeth.

TTR

#13 Post by TTR »

I have been using listene for quite a while, two weeks having bracing on and mouth is so dried out. I finally decided today to stop using it and to see what happens. I am starting on biotene. Hopefully this dryness will go away.

Has anyone else had this issue?

The Dentist tell me that there is a great deal of science behind listene. We never really spoke about anything else. I also noticed that Listene has no alcohol out but I had biotene at home.

thanks

BraceFace2o1o

#14 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I did another Google search about the staining ingredients (Cetylpyridinium chloride) in mouthwash and found:
Mouthwash Sans Alcohol
•Cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC) is typically the active ingredient in mouthwash that does not contain alcohol. This acts in the same way that alcohol does. It dissolves the membrane around the cells that make up bacteria.
So this explains why I have failed to find a non alcohol mouthwash that doesn't also have the ingredient Cetylpyridinium chloride! So I've ended my search and don't know what to do. When I use a mouthwash that contains alcohol it dries out my mouth, and mouthwash that doesn't contain alcohol contains the staining ingredient Cetylpyridinium chloride... grrr! I think I am worrying about this too much lol.

But saying that, most of the mouthwashes I checked out in my local supermarket that do contain alcohol also contained Cetylpyridinium chloride :?, but my quick scan (I was in a hurry and already checked about 20 bottles of mouthwash on the shelf) of the ingredients list found that Listerine doesn't contain Cetylpyridinium chloride, unless I accidently missed it :oops:. So the only two mouthwashes I've found that don't have Cetylpyridinium chloride are a Sensodyne one and Listerine.

ashesgap

#15 Post by ashesgap »

http://www.listerine.com/products/product-zero
Here's Listerines new one. No alcohol. If you click the Label button it shows you the ingredients. I think i might switch from my purple Listerine to this.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days