Are Electric Toothbrushes Really Better Than Manual Brushes?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceguy1

Are Electric Toothbrushes Really Better Than Manual Brushes?

#1 Post by braceguy1 »

I am new to braces (less than 2 weeks). I have ceramic uppers and lowers. My ortho told me that an electric toothbrush wasn't necessary. However, the other orthodontist I was evaluated by said they were a good idea. Does anybody have a strong preference one way or the other?
Thanks
Clear uppers and lowers installed.
Treatment Time Expected: 12-18 months

4113n

#2 Post by 4113n »

I would say don't use electronic, it can damage your wires and cause problems more easily, unless you don't mind going to the ortho when your electric damages them, stick to manual.

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

I used a Sonicare toothbrush the entire 3 years that I was in braces and it was not a problem. Nothing was "damaged" by the toothbrush. An electric toothbrush can do a much better job at cleaning than a manual one. But if you have good manual technique and make sure to brush thoroughly for 2 minutes per cleaning, then your teeth will get very clean that way, as well.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

b

#4 Post by b »

I used a regular toothbrush for the first little while, but after my first cleaning, my dentist gave me an electric for free and told me to use it everyday because it does a much better job, especially with braces. Once I started using it, I loved it! Its much easier to clean and you can really feel the difference, you can get everywhere around the brackets and the back of your teeth. I would recommend an electric over a regular toothbrush, however I still use my regular toothbrush at work and in the mornings, but when I'm doing my 30 minute floss, waterpik and brush routine I find the electric to be the best.
Spacers in Aug. '09
MARA without elbows on Aug/09
Braces on Nov. 20/09
Elbows for MARA in Feb. 25/10
Braces off August 26, 2010!
Essix Retainers

my story: http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=33571

sapphirerose924

My ortho gave me a Crest SpinBrush

#5 Post by sapphirerose924 »

My ortho gave me a Crest SpinBrush because he believes that it will clean the brackets better. I recently bought a Sonicare, and I really like it.

It is probably one of those things where they have differences of opinion.

gokix

#6 Post by gokix »

In my opinion, it's much better. My teeth feel a lot cleaner switching from a regular toothbrush. I've had no problems with the electric toothbrush damaging anything.

TXMommy

#7 Post by TXMommy »

IMO the electric toothbrush is SO much better than the manual brush! I started with a soft manual brush when I was first banded, but I quickly changed to a Crest SpinBrush when I got frustrated with how poorly a job the manual brush did compared to the SpinBrush. I've never had a problem with the electric toothbrush breaking any wires or brackets, either. Good luck!
Braced Jan. 31, 2008
Sentenced to 24 months
Debraced Jan. 14, 2010!
Now wearing Essix retainer on top 24/7 with bonded lower

Boohill

#8 Post by Boohill »

I definitely prefer my electric toothbrush. I was worried about having to buy special orthodontic brush heads but my OD said it is ok to use the regular heads. My mouth feels so much cleaner with the electric brush. :pinkbraces: I use a soft ortho head brush when I’m at work and school. Its fine for in between brushes but I love my Oral B Triumph.

cmone

#9 Post by cmone »

I purchased a Sonicare Flexcare Plus for my personal Xmas gift & I love it. I had been using battery powered brushes for the last few years & I have got to say they don't compare. My teeth feel incredibly clean. I bought a waterpik also in anticipation of my braces & at all of my consults, they have commented on how clean my teeth are (I guess it's surprising for the level of "jacked upness" :wink: they're in). I would recommend both to anyone that cares about their teeth and gums.
Live free or die

wycket

#10 Post by wycket »

I am also newly braced -- I have been using an OralB Professional 1000 for the last 3 days, and so far I really like it! I agree with everyone else that it feels like it does a much better job. I still use a regular brush at work, and that just doesn't seem to compare. Even only using the electric toothbrush for such a short time, I'm very happy I spent the $ and got a good one.

cgraziat

#11 Post by cgraziat »

I love the electric toothbrushes. You can buy the throw away ones for like 6 dollars. If you are worried about them being to hard at first they have toddlers ones that are electric now too. I just purchased an Oral-b professional care one but it hasn't come from amazon yet.

Meemoo

#12 Post by Meemoo »

My ortho told me it was a much better idea to use the electric toothbrushes as there's less manual effort to get your teeth clean and it really helps to get into the nooks and crannies better.

MegP60+

Are electric toothbrushes really so much better than manual

#13 Post by MegP60+ »

About two weeks after getting my braces I purchased an Oral B Triumph with Smart Guide and I love it. It feels like I have just been for a dental cleaning every time I brush. I purchased the braces care heads and that is what I am using and they do a good job. IMHO money well spent.

llehsal

#14 Post by llehsal »

Hi Hi,

For me....electric toothbrushes are the better bet, unless you dont mind the extra "work" using the manual ones. I use both and I find the electric is so much easier and can be used with much more ease. I use the manual at the office and I keep saying I need to get an electric one for the office because its so much easier to get around the brackets and can reach further to the back of my mouth. I also feel much much cleaner after I use the electric, I feel as though I'm missing spots with my manual and catch myself using the interdentals which I rarely have to use with my electric (and my waterpik of course..hehe).

Its totally up to the individual I believe. As some studies suggest, both are effective once done correctly and efficiently. Oh and I have a cheap Crest or OralB...cant remember, so it does not have to be a super expensive one to get the job done :)

Shelby's Braces Story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35311

mchappell

Re: Are Electric Toothbrushes Really Better Than Manual Brus

#15 Post by mchappell »

I'm getting my braces on this Thursday ceramic uppers and lowers. I've never used an electric toothbrush, but it sounds like that's the way to go with braces. Thanks for all the help!