What type of toothpaste do you use?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracketRacket

What type of toothpaste do you use?

#1 Post by BracketRacket »

Sorry if there's a bazillion threads like this, most I saw recently were questions about specific types.

I'm about to start treatment, and heard it may be good to use a sensative teeth type beforehand. Any opinions?

In any case -- what kind do you use? Do you use a few different kinds depending on anything?

Thank!

TXMommy

#2 Post by TXMommy »

I didn't use any special toothpaste right before treatment, but I am using Sensodyne right now to hopefully help with my upcoming debanding. My teeth tend to be cold-sensitive on the top, so I hope using the Sensodyne for a few weeks will help when the time comes.

However, during treatment I used Colgate Total. Make sure it doesn't have whitening otherwise you will have whiter teeth AROUND the area where the brackets were when you get debanded. Unless you're using Invisalign or iBraces, of course. :wink:

Good luck with your treatment!
Braced Jan. 31, 2008
Sentenced to 24 months
Debraced Jan. 14, 2010!
Now wearing Essix retainer on top 24/7 with bonded lower

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I use Sensodyne ProNamel at night, not because of sensitivity issues but because the hygeniest recommended it. It strengthens your enamel, so they claim. I also use Colgate Total. I have always loved this toothpaste, it has a great taste and the clean feeling last quite a while. They have a new kind that strenghtens enamel also.

I also use ACT Total Mouthwash and Listerine. They both have types that are good for brace users. Strenghtens enamel, prevents cavaties, plaque...etc.

I actually prefer Colgate Total to the Sensodyne, not only for taste but price also.

sdawdy

#4 Post by sdawdy »

Tarter fighting Crest...gel not paste...nothing special. i was advised by my dentist to use a mouthwash that has fluoride in it as an extra precaution.

Lela

#5 Post by Lela »

I use/used Colgate Total too.

I tried Sensodyne before debanding because of cold sensitivite too, TXmommy. It didn't help a bit in my case but you might have better luck. If not, be sure to tell whoever is removing your braces that you have a cold sensitivity issue. There are things they can do to reduce the constant blast of cold air. Rolls of gauze over the gumline made a world of difference for me.

BTW BracketRacket, the best thing you can go for post-bracing discomfort is CHEW. The longer you baby your sore mouth the longer the pain will last. So, you might want to have some semi-soft foods that require a bit of chewing on hand. :D
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

TXMommy

#6 Post by TXMommy »

Lela wrote:I use/used Colgate Total too.

I tried Sensodyne before debanding because of cold sensitivite too, TXmommy. It didn't help a bit in my case but you might have better luck. If not, be sure to tell whoever is removing your braces that you have a cold sensitivity issue. There are things they can do to reduce the constant blast of cold air. Rolls of gauze over the gumline made a world of difference for me.
Thanks for the advice, Lela! :-1 Hate to hear that it didn't work for you, but I'll be sure to tell them about my issues before they start. I had a problem with it before (I had a top bracket pop off and it was hell getting it put back on for some reason!) but I don't think it was my usual tech that did it, so they probably won't remember. Who knows...even the slightest amount of comfort will be nice, but I'll just be happy to get them O-F-F!!!
Braced Jan. 31, 2008
Sentenced to 24 months
Debraced Jan. 14, 2010!
Now wearing Essix retainer on top 24/7 with bonded lower

bunit

#7 Post by bunit »

I'm really picky and will only use colgate total, it just makes my teeth feel clean. I've tried many other kinds, but I just can't get used to them. Lately I've been using colgate total enamel protection

ConverseGuy

#8 Post by ConverseGuy »

I personally use Sensodyne Pronamel most of the time, but sometimes I'll use Aquafresh or Colgate total.

Audra

#9 Post by Audra »

I use Toothsoap rather than toothpaste. And I don't use any fluoride products at all.

daffodil

#10 Post by daffodil »

I use Crest ProHealth most of the times because it makes my teeth feel really clean, but I also use strawberry and mango flavored toothpastes from Tom's of Maine when I don't feel like brushing my teeth because they taste good.

Lewick

#11 Post by Lewick »

I'm currently using a Colgate toothpaste that was prescribed to me by my ortho when i got my braces put on. I also use Boots Orthodontic toothpaste every so often for a change.

sarah578

#12 Post by sarah578 »

Snowglobe32 wrote:I use Sensodyne ProNamel at night, not because of sensitivity issues but because the hygeniest recommended it. It strengthens your enamel, so they claim. I also use Colgate Total. I have always loved this toothpaste, it has a great taste and the clean feeling last quite a while. They have a new kind that strenghtens enamel also.

I also use ACT Total Mouthwash and Listerine. They both have types that are good for brace users. Strenghtens enamel, prevents cavaties, plaque...etc.

I actually prefer Colgate Total to the Sensodyne, not only for taste but price also.
I use Sensodyne ProNamel, as well. I think it's important to use toothpaste that is gentle. For some reason, braces make my teeth more sensitive. But I also have sensitive teeth to begin with. Tom's of Maine is a really good one, too.

TigerLily

#13 Post by TigerLily »

I use isotonic toothpaste which i love the way it foams up. Previously I used colgate's oxygen bubble. I feel these get into nooks and crannies better than a regular paste.

ariel86

#14 Post by ariel86 »

I'm out of braces but honestly, I just buy the toothpaste that's on sale! As long as its a known brand, like crest or colgate or aquafresh, they're all the same, IMO. As for the whitening toothpastes, I think they don't really whiten teeth, I know some people that use these and still have very yellow teeth.. If you want white teeth, get the white strips they work awesome and there not expensive, I like them so much I could be really good at selling them, LOL!

TigerLily

#15 Post by TigerLily »

ariel - try some isotonic toothpaste! It's great. There's a couple of brands that do it but I tend to get Aquafresh as it's less expensive than the others.

Re whitening toothpastes I used to think they didn't do anything but there's a colgate one which dental hygienist said some clients really liked. I had bought some and used a while back but forgot all about it. Yesterday I was looking in the mirror and thought oh my teeth look all sparkly, then realised I had used that toothpaste because I was in a different bathroom without the isotonic toothpaste in it. Seriously, that was just a one time. It's the one with white and silver packaging (not total care etc)

I'm going to try these whitening strips though!