Afraid of my electric toothbrush!!

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

HeatherD

#1 Post by HeatherD »

I have used my Sonicare FlexCare toothbrush for a long time. I love the way it cleans my teeth. I just had braces put on and I am afraid to use it. I don't know, maybe afraid it might hurt the brackets or something. Maybe I am being silly but is it OK to use it with braces?

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

I used a Sonicare the entire 3 years I was in braces. It's fine. You'll have to replace the brush head 3-4 times a year, but that's really the only difference.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

kilikena311

#3 Post by kilikena311 »

My Sonicare had instructions about how to brush around the brackets, and you do need to replace the brush heads more often as mentioned. Also I'll say that right after an adjustment or when I first got my braces on, I felt as if the Sonicare was going to rattle my teeth out of my head, so don't freak out about it. I think that in the end the vibration on my teeth helped the soreness to go away more quickly.

browneyedgrl

#4 Post by browneyedgrl »

My ortho gave me a sonicare flexcare toothbrush the day I got my braces on and I love it. Now that my braces are off, it's great for my lowers are where I have my bonded retainer. Don't be scared of it, just lower the setting while you're getting use to all your new hardware.

Good luck!

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

face of braces

#5 Post by face of braces »

I, too, just got my braces (Oct 16, 2009) and immediately used my Sonicare. You can adjust the strength of the settings, but I didn't touch mine. I LIKED that it cleaned my braces because it's been an adjustment to get used to food IN my braces while I'm eating. Boy do I hate that feeling!
----------------------
Braces installation: Oct 16, 2009
Turbo installation on right front tooth: Oct 16, 2009
Turbo installed second time (because I bit it off during sleep): Oct 17, 2009

*Being married to an orthodontist has its advantages...like evening and weekend appointments! :)