Lig stain question

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

my3sons

Lig stain question

#1 Post by my3sons »

Besides curry, what else will stain your ligs? I'm still in the planning phases, and I'm wondering which meals I'll have to plan right before an adjustment! :?:

my3sons

#2 Post by my3sons »

So I need to plan spaghetti sauce for later in my wire? I'm Italian...this is IMPORTANT! :lol:

my3sons

#3 Post by my3sons »

Thanks for the advice!

MetalGerald

#4 Post by MetalGerald »

Meryaten wrote:
  • 1. adopt a bland coloured diet (yes, tomato can stain)
    2. decide you don't care about staining
    3. wear bold coloured ligs that won't stain
    4. ask your ortho if he would use wire ties (though many reserve the use of these for clinical not cosmetic purposes)
I have chosen option 2. I've only been braced for a week, but in spite of drinking gallons of coffee and eating chili and tomato soup, my ligs haven't changed color yet. But if they do, I'm not going to let it bother me.

kaydee

#5 Post by kaydee »

Im on day 3 of braces and yesterday I was really hungry and thought I would try some of those chicken 2 minute noodles in a cup and they stained my ligs. But my ortho has said I can have wire ties if i prefer....

Broham

#6 Post by Broham »

I have had ceramic uppers for about 7 months now. I decided not to worry about staining after about the first month. Now I eat virtually anything I want (within reason). I avoid anything with strong staining properties such as curry and artificial food colours. The one thing that did cause a lot of staining was a green tea latte from Starbucks. I guess there is green food dye in it!!!

Amy

Broham

#7 Post by Broham »

I forgot to mention that I drink tea every day. The ligs do stain but only to about the shade of my teeth.

Miss Smiley

#8 Post by Miss Smiley »

I'm a sucker for mustard, kraut and chili dogs... You'll be sure I'm at the ortho's getting my ligs changed the next day. Greasy red sauces from Mexican foods also do the trick, but I love my enchiladas and burritos with red sauce. Soy sauce will also make your ligs a wonderful yellow, it goes great with a spring dress.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix