Canker sore remedy my parents used, it may work for you!

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

munchkin

Canker sore remedy my parents used, it may work for you!

#1 Post by munchkin »

I used to get a lot of canker sores when I was a child (and sometimes even in adulthood). My parent ALWAYS used POWDERED ALUM. You can find it in your neighboorhood supermarket spice isle. It cost about a dollar. All you have to do is wet your finger a little (to get the Alum to stick to it) and then get some (not a lot) on your finger and then apply it to the irritated site for a few seconds. Careful not to swallow the Alum. I am not going to lie and say it doesnt taste bad, because IT DOES, but almost everytime I have used this the sore is gone in about 10 minutes. Definitly worth it. My friend frequently gets canker sores and was whining about them when I told her about this remedy. She immediatly went out and bought some Alum and tried it. She called me and said that the sore was gone, and that she was ALWAYS going to used this remedy. I have no idea how or why it works but all I know is that my Grandmother grew up on a farm and they used this and then she became a nurse and she STILL used this remedy. Give it a try, let me know how it works for you.

REMINDER: IT TASTES LIKE CRAP BUT IS DEFINITLY WORTH IT!!!!
Ceramics
Added to family: 02/24/05
Next appt: 05/26/05
Sentence: 1 year
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png

#2 Post by Guest »

Thanks Munchkin, I never thought of using it that way. I use Alum to stop the bleeding when I cut my dogs toe nails too short. Thankfully, that is not too often.

2hOtT2HaNdLe01

#3 Post by 2hOtT2HaNdLe01 »

what happens if u swallow it?????? :shock:

#4 Post by Guest »

Probably nothing, as it is a baking item. It doesn't take much to stop bleeding or probably the canker sore.

munchkin

#5 Post by munchkin »

Nothing happens if you swallow, that I can remember, it just tastes REALLY, REALLY bad. But I can say that I have used this method in the past and it truly is a "miracle". Let me know if you have tried it and how it worked for you.
Ceramics
Added to family: 02/24/05
Next appt: 05/26/05
Sentence: 1 year
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png

mel456

Alum

#6 Post by mel456 »

:? :? Is the Alum that they sell in the drug store the safe Alum
(alum mordant)? , because I know there is an Alum that is a"harmful irritant that is corrosive to the eyes, mouth, respiratory tract and lungs", especially if you have asthma wich I do so I would't want to put that in my mouth.

I'll wait for response before I buy.

Thank You

#7 Post by Guest »

Hi Mel, I don't have a clue if it is the same. All I know is that there is an Alum sold in the spices section of Grocery stores - that is what I buy. (I have had the same can for years, as I don't use it often).

Maybe you could ask a pharmasist?

mel456

Got It

#8 Post by mel456 »

Thanks for the response. I did decide to get it from a grocery store to be on the safe side and it was in the spice isle, and I just used it about 5 minutes ago and I cannot believe it. INSTANT RELIEF, it's a miracle :( :) :D Thank you munchkin, I am eternally greatful :wink:

2hOtT2HaNdLe01

#9 Post by 2hOtT2HaNdLe01 »

did it burn???? and how long did the relief last?????
BRACED: March 16, 2005
DEBANDED: October 3, 2006

mel456

Well

#10 Post by mel456 »

No It didn't burn, but the bad news is , for me the pain returned after about half an hour. Then I tried to put more on but it didn't really help. The good news is this morning I feel very little discomfort, so although the sore didn't heal in 10 minutes, I think the alum is making it heal faster than the couple of days it would normally take. :wink: