WaterPik Cordless-Opinions?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Luella

WaterPik Cordless-Opinions?

#1 Post by Luella »

Hello everyone! I was reading the thread about WaterPiks, and I was wanting to ask everyone, since that thread is 6-12 months old, how have the WaterPiks worked out? All the reviews I've read on Amazon.com and Walgreens.com are mixed. It seems half the people love the cordless WaterPik and half the people don't like it, because the battery life is bad or because of the need to refill multiple times during one use. What have ya'll's experiences been? What brands do you have, would you recommend, etc. I really don't have the counter space for a corded model with a huge reservoir. Thanks guys!!!

P.S. Here are the reviews, just in case ya'll wanna see!

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... prod398423
http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0 ... Descending
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

ReneG

#2 Post by ReneG »

I had to order from US since I'm located in Singapore. They don't carry it locally here and the voltage difference meant that I had to buy a voltage converter as well. So, I had a lot to worry about!!

I use it at least every night, sometimes in the morning as well. It has a Nickel based battery so I charged it for a whole night and then some before using it and thereafter use it until it goes flat (all the way till there is no response, even when I switch to the higher setting) before charging it for the whole night and then some again.

So far, it lasts about two weeks between charges. When it is almost flat, it shows itself and goes flat in that session or the next, so it's not like it's draggy and non-performing for a few days.

Some people would have problems because they don't know how to treat a nickel based battery. Also, I disagree with the instructions that came with my oral-B electric (which also has a nickel based battery) so I can see how it would be a REAL problem. I get my battery information from batteryuniversity.com

I tried to watch myself waterpik the same way I watch myself brush but that led to water everywhere! So I go by feel and close my lips loosely around the tip while it does its job. I go around the outside jetting inwards (and downwards for my upper gums, upwards for my lower gums) along my gums, angling it through my teeth. Then inside jetting outwards (and downwards for my upper gums, upwards for my lower gums) for my molar bands and premolars. I don't jet my teeth/gums at a straight 90 degree perpendicular.

Then i preview my teeth and jet any areas that still it.

I usually have enough water for all that, including the last extra blast or two. Who knows, maybe I don't jet my teeth enough? *shrug*

When I first started, I did have to refill at least once.

The power is strong - I don't even use the higher power ever, until I hit the tail end of the battery charge. You wouldn't want a more powerful jet to hit your loosened teeth held together by wires!!

All in all, I love it and am glad I bought it!
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Expensive and badly made, in my opinion. I am on my second cordless waterpik. The first one gave up after about 6 months. It stank of musty water, and when I took it apart I found all the insides, contacts, battery etc corroded where water had got in through the charger hole and round the nozzle. I wondered if perhaps I'd just had a bad one, and bought another, but after a few weeks it started smelling too, and again on dismantling it I found the same problem. This one still works but because of the water ingress problem, I only use it if I go away from home. I then have to dismantle it and dry it out afterwards. Not ideal.

I bought a Braun Oxyjet from Germany via ebay, and I love it. It's never given me a minute's trouble in over a year. It is a corded one though, so you need space to keep it.

funshine

#4 Post by funshine »

I have the cordless WaterPik and it works well for me. I much prefer it to the huge one that would take up so much space on my counter.

Luella

#5 Post by Luella »

Thank you all for your responses! It seems so strange to me that half the people love it, have no problems, and half the people hate it and wish they'd never purchased it. I wonder if it's user error or manufacturer error. I'm going to talk to my ortho when I go in and see what their recommendation is. Thanks again guys!
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

ReneG

#6 Post by ReneG »

Meryaten wrote:Bizarre that you've had this same trouble twice, and I've not had a lick of it. Wonder if they're coming from different factories as you're in UK and I am in USA. :?
Yes, I second that! Mine was also from the USA though the device itself is Made in China.
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

Nothing wrong with my cordless one. I got the most recent one from a special deal through a dental catalog. The water seems to drain fast, battery life is great. I also get my battery information from batteryuniversity.com! How funny, I thought I was a bit of a control freak, in that I was needing to know the best possible way to make my rechargeable products last, battery wise.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

TigerLily

#8 Post by TigerLily »

Maybe it is a US/UK thing. The only person I know in real life with a Waterpik has had it break on him twice. Luckily he bought from Boots so he got it exchanged for a new one each time.

I am thinking of buying one but I'd buy from Boots too rather than my preferred Amazon. Even if it breaks and I have to get it changed with the guarantee, I can think it's £30 for a year and if it lasts longer (which I'd hope, hate disposable culture) then great.

I think my Sonicare must be about 5 years old. I looked after the battery from day 1 as my local electrical shop always remind people to do. Sadly, nobody seems to listen and think they know best.

TigerLily

#9 Post by TigerLily »

Annoying! Wish things were built to last..one of my peeves...!

FITeach

#10 Post by FITeach »

I've pretty much stopped using mine. It's true, the battery life is AWFUL!!!
I put rechargeable batteries in but it's still annoying. And water gets in the battery compartment and starts to rust the batteries. It's a wet piece of junk in my opinion.

BarbieGirl

#11 Post by BarbieGirl »

I bought a cordless waterpik and hated it at first. But now, I have learned how to use it and love it. The water drains fast but I am down to only refilling it once which I have to do in the kitchen sink because the unit is too big for my bathroom sink. That is probably my one gripe.
Top and bottom Braces on: July 7, 2008
Elastics on: July 31, 2008
Next appt: September 9, 2008

vjammiez

Loving the waterpik

#12 Post by vjammiez »

BarbieGirl wrote:I bought a cordless waterpik and hated it at first. But now, I have learned how to use it and love it.

After reading the reviews here, I went out and bought a cordless waterpik and it's been a journey. I still spray water everywhere on occasion :wink: but it's great to blast out food particles that I didn't even know was there! The flosser tool is great for the foods that I know I shouldn't have eaten and the ortho tool sprays and brushes around the brackets.

Most times I would put a little mouthwash in it for a blast of freshness and I always wipe the charger area with a qtip before I charge it to avoid wetness and later corrosion

It's wonderful and I too now love it. :jump: :jump: :jump:
I am a rock in a sea of chaos...
[/url]

dangerdude

#13 Post by dangerdude »

I bought a cordless unit in preparation for braces to be installed in Jan '09.

I have the Waterpik Ultra Cordless Dental Water Jet. Battery life is pretty good. But then again, I always recharge it every few days and keep the cord on the wall. It always blast out a bits of food brushing doesn't take care of. The size of it is about the size of a cleaning squirt bottle. I thought it would be smaller from product images online.

The Waterpik matches with my Sonicare FlexCare perfectly in color.

kie

#14 Post by kie »

Im so glad Im not the only one! I love my waterpiks but have had mega problems with the charging. Im currently on my 3rd in 12 months. Just sent an email to waterpik to ask for their advice

Airchie

#15 Post by Airchie »

I really like the rechargeable Water Pik - I think it's great for a quick clean up after meals.

One question to other owners though - what have you found is the best way to clean the water tank ?

I'd like to give it a clean since it'll have little bits of standing water in it throughout the day and the instructions don't seem to mention cleaning the unit itself.