plaque disclosing tablets

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

adultbraces

plaque disclosing tablets

#1 Post by adultbraces »

I got two tablets from my orthodontist today after getting my bracket on finally!
The problem is I'm not sure if I know how to use this. I flossed and brushed my teeth according to the educational video I watched earlier.. then I chewed the tablet and swirled around my mouth to get the dye all around my teeth.. and when I looked all my teeth were pink except for the 4 teeth w/o bracket. I thought I brushed well enough but all my teeth w/ bracket were pink.. so I'm wondering that mean there's plaques ..
So I brushed again and rinsed with floride.. Hopefully this time plaques were removed.. I want to try again tomorrow since I have one more tablet left.. Does anyone know how the plaquefree reacts to the tablets?

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

The colour in those things is pretty intense, but any plaque will show up a stronger shade of pink. I don't often use them but once in a while I do, just to check I'm not missing any bits when I brush.

The best way I found is to chew the tablet up (actually 1/2 tablet will be enough) and get your tongue to swish the saliva all round the teeth and gums. Then rinse out your mouth with water to remove the excess dye. The plaque will not rinse off just with water and will show up as bright pink. It can then be brushed off if present.

adultbraces

#3 Post by adultbraces »

Lisa65 wrote:The colour in those things is pretty intense, but any plaque will show up a stronger shade of pink. I don't often use them but once in a while I do, just to check I'm not missing any bits when I brush.

The best way I found is to chew the tablet up (actually 1/2 tablet will be enough) and get your tongue to swish the saliva all round the teeth and gums. Then rinse out your mouth with water to remove the excess dye. The plaque will not rinse off just with water and will show up as bright pink. It can then be brushed off if present.
I searched for the image on the web, and they've show the darker shade of pink is where the plaque remains.. I didn't see this on my teeth.. but since my 4 teeth w/o bracket had my natural shade and did not effected by the tablets.. But then ones with the bracket had the pink dye all over and eventhough it wasn't darker shade of pink it still bothers me. It makes me think that there are still plaques left behind even after brushing..
This means no matter how much time I spend on brushing , my teeth are going to have some plaque left b/c of brakets :x

KK Cat

#4 Post by KK Cat »

I use these every few weeks. I have to use the little interdental bruses around my brackets to get my teeth fully clean. An ordinary brush alone doesn't do the job. If I only use an ordinary brush then there are little patches of dye left here and there, generally at the sides of the brackets which are directly under the wire.

I use the TePe small brushes in varying sizes. I find the little heads that you attach to the regular tooth brush handle too fiddly to use and prefer the little finger held brushes.
2 upper 1st bicuspids extracted
Uppers braced (metal), molar bands upper & lower 25 May 07
Lowers braced 22 Oct 07
Next adjustment 21 Apr 2008
Estimated brace time 2.5 years

BarbieGirl

Use Smart Rinse by Listerine

#5 Post by BarbieGirl »

Rinse it around and it shows where residue remains after brushing! It is made for kids but I used my daughters after getting braces and was amazed at the particles left over after brushing!
Top and bottom Braces on: July 7, 2008
Elastics on: July 31, 2008
Next appt: September 9, 2008

Dutchess

#6 Post by Dutchess »

Do the tablets stain clear ligs?

BarbieGirl

Clear Ligatures

#7 Post by BarbieGirl »

No, I do not think that mouth rinse stained the ligatures....or the clear braces for that matter (I have both).
Top and bottom Braces on: July 7, 2008
Elastics on: July 31, 2008
Next appt: September 9, 2008