Awesome Toothbrush

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

pumpkinpatch

Awesome Toothbrush

#1 Post by pumpkinpatch »

Ok, the colgate 360 sensitive toothbrush is amazing! It works well and the bristles are so soft! While I'm here, I also want to mention that my dentist said that she doesn't recommend listerine because it's bad for your gums. Does anyone have a suggestion of something that works well but is healthy for gums? Thanks 8)

gunter8888

#2 Post by gunter8888 »

I'm always searching for a really great toothbrush. I'll have to give that one a try.

I use the Crest Pro Health mouthwash. Many people have complained about the little blue (or green) bits it tends to leave behind, but its never been a big deal to me. The Crest taste good, kills germs and does not have alcohol.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

kiwigirl83

#3 Post by kiwigirl83 »

My dentist has told me not to use listerine as it's too acidic.

I.e. Your tooth enamel will start to melt at PH2- listerine is PH3 (ouch)

Apparently, it's better to use an alcohol free mouthwash :)

kiwigirl83

#4 Post by kiwigirl83 »

Thanks for the link to that thread- really interesting! Yeah, my dentist is very anti-Listerine, hehe. Think it's odd that these mouthwashes are on the market if there is a chance that they can actually damage your teeth.

Think the one that he suggested was Colgate Plax

babyduck

#5 Post by babyduck »

My ortho recommends ACT, so that's what I've been using. I've used Listerene in the past and, yeah, it's too strong for me. The ACT has been doing well for me, though. I have the ACT Restore in Vanilla Mint.

gunter8888

#6 Post by gunter8888 »

I saw an ad on TV last night for a new ACT that kills germs without alcohol, has flouride and claims to strengthen and even restore enamel. I believe its called ACT Restore or ACT Renew (re-something). I don't know much about restoring enamel; nor do I care much about it at this point. But, I have been looking for a nice-tasting mouthwash that kills germs, has no alcohol and contains flouride. I hope to buy some this weekend and check it out for myself.

EDIT: guess I should have read the previous post a little better! Sorry. Nonetheless, I do want to give the ACT Restore a go.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

babyduck

#7 Post by babyduck »

Gunter, the ACT actually does contain alcohol, but as an inactive ingredient as opposed to active. In my opinion, it's not burn-free (especially those initial seconds it tends to bite at my tongue), but it's easier to handle than Listerine.

Laurie

#8 Post by Laurie »

Ack! Something ELSE to stress about.