Disclosing Tablets

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

LilRedPitViper

Disclosing Tablets

#1 Post by LilRedPitViper »

I've been reading that some of you use disclosing tablets to help with brushing. I've looked in several drug stores, and can't seem to find them.

Can anyone tell me where you buy them, and maybe recommend a brand if there are several?

Also, are they safe to use on ceramic brackets?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Iceolated

#2 Post by Iceolated »

Disclosing tablets prove hard to find in most areas. Look at the link below for some discussion of a rinse that does essentially the same job.

viewtopic.php?t=12520&highlight=

Cheers,
ICE.

Metal uppers May 2, 2006
Metal lowers September 12, 2006
Finally Nekkid July 11, 2007

With braces - pain is gain...

Some things money can't buy.
Thank God great looking teeth aren't one of them.

“But to see her was to love her, Love but her, and love foreverâ€

Rainy

#3 Post by Rainy »

I have been looking around for either and cant find them at all. I have been to Bartells, Walgreens, Riteaid and Walmart. As far as I can tell the blue stuff isnt back on the market yet and I cant find the disclosing tablets anywhere but on line from some dental site.

Rainy

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

You have to be careful using disclosing tablets with braces. They have a tendency to stain the ligatures!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

Boots the chemist do a bright blue one Karen, so I guess I could experiment with 1/2 blue and 1/2 red to see if I got a purple result :D

I'm actually a little embarrassed right now. I used to use disclosing tablets once a week or so to check I was doing a good job, but of late I hadn't bothered because I thought I had my cleaning routine down to a fine art. I don't think I'd used one for a few months. However last night I had some free time and thought I would chew one up, just to see how I was doing round all my extra wires and loops. Well, the wires and loops were fine, but I had missed some quite big areas on my top front teeth, mostly under the archwire, and also on my lower front feeth (again under the archwire). I always brush round the brackets and under the wire with one of those interdental brushes, but seems like I wasn't doing it as well as I thought I was.

Using the disclosing tablet highlighted those areas, but it's taught me not to get complacent about my brushing, and I'll be using them more frequently from now on.

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

Since many people have complained that Crest Pro-Health mouthwash leaves "blue chunks and strings" where you don't brush well, perhaps this could be an alternative to the disclosing tablets?

I use Pro-Health to soak my retainer (a dilute solution). I started using it because it's alcohol-free, but it's kind of nice to see the blue tint where I need to clean it. And, yes, I brush my retainer - with a very soft toothbrush and a gel toothpaste, as recommended by my ortho.

KK Cat

#7 Post by KK Cat »

I'm amazed that there is one product that can be sourced without any problem here in Ireland that is difficult to find in the US. Disclosing tablets can easily be got here in almost all pharmacies although I admit I've only ever seen one brand name - Oral B. They are red.

I had been using these once a week between being braced and a hygienist appt 2 months later. When I mentioned to the hygienist about using the disclosing tablets she said there was no problem at all and use them every night if I so wished (I don't, I still do it about once every 10 days or so). She very kindly fished around in a drawer though a gave me a big long strip of them (about 40 or so). And Karen......the ones she gave me are purple...... Very cool, and not quite as frightening looking as the red ones when you look in the mirror!
2 upper 1st bicuspids extracted
Uppers braced (metal), molar bands upper & lower 25 May 07
Lowers braced 22 Oct 07
Next adjustment 21 Apr 2008
Estimated brace time 2.5 years