What did your ortho "give" you?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

sally1988

Re: What did your ortho "give" you?

#166 Post by sally1988 »

Well I had them put on this morning and was sent home with a box of out of date wax and an advice sheet for kids... wish I was joking

cs2thecox

#167 Post by cs2thecox »

That makes me feel better - at least my wax was in date ;)

sally1988

#168 Post by sally1988 »

haha I actually ended up not using it I roughed it for the weekend and by Monday they weren't rubbing at all so maybe id toughened up?
I tried a tiny bit to see what it did and ended up spending 20 minutes trying to pick the stuff out of the bracket! it went straight in the bin!

kmadsen65

#169 Post by kmadsen65 »

I got my top braces on Thursday and I got:

1) full-sized toothbrush with a proxabrush on the other end (the little Christmas tree brush) which I won't use because my mouth is small and I use compact toothbrush heads
2) a small proxabrush with a cover over it for traveling
3) a little thing with a proxabrush on one end and a pointy rubber tip on the other
4) cheap floss that I would never use
5) a long handled tiny brush that I assume is for brushing around my brackets
6) a small packet of floss threaders (which I don't like) my favorite floss so far is the Glide Pro-Health Threader Floss. It comes in individual packets that I can take with me.
7) a small box of wax which didn't stay on, so I'm using silicone ear plugs and that works really well
8) And my favorite thing of all is a dental mirror with a light on it. I have no idea why I think this is so cool, I just do.

This all came in a cute case that is way too big for me to put in my handbag, but I figure most of the people who get braces are probably kids and they can put it in their backpacks, desks or lockers.

I had already put together a first aid/travel kit based on research I had done and use a small makeup bag to put everything in.

My braces cost me $3,800 and I'll have top & bottom in metal and a discluding appliance behind my top front teeth to keep my top teeth front knocking the bottom brackets off. I guess I'm lucky it isn't costing more.
Kelly
Metal Brackets Upper 6/26/14
Lower Brackets & Discluding Appliance 7/2/14

SpottedPickle

#170 Post by SpottedPickle »

I got a lot of little things, none of is expired lol

* Travel Toothbrush
* Dental Wax
* Travel Size Toothpaste
* Oral-B Glide Threaders
* Travel Size Mouthwash Crest Pro-Health
* Oral-B Pro Health Tooth Brush
* Compact Interdental Brush
* spam spam spam Orthodontic Flossers
* Diet Chart/Common Problems and Solutions Magnet
* Green bag with their logo and stuff

kleinblue

#171 Post by kleinblue »

-Floss threaders
-Wax
-Orthodontic toothbrush
-Interdental brush (yet to use it, I don't care for them)
-T-shirt (if I wear it to my visits, I get extra "orthobucks" to spend on cool things like toys or a chance to meet One Direction! Haha, the joys of being an adult with braces....)

Bracesat57

#172 Post by Bracesat57 »

I got a nifty travel case that includes:

Travel toothbrush
Regular toothbrush
Dental mirror
Wax
Floss
Dual dent brush (for poking things out that get stuck)
Floss threaders

And a tee shirt

I love my case and use it everyday!

adorkable8605

#173 Post by adorkable8605 »

I received a t-shirt (in my choice of colors lol), a toothbrush with a proxy brush attached to the end, a proxy brush, floss threaders, wax, dental mirror, instructions and demonstration of proper cleaning, and a travel tooth brush.

gpac

#174 Post by gpac »

I got some dental floss, wax, some fliers about proper oral hygiene

MoonSwan

#175 Post by MoonSwan »

I'm not getting my braces on until April 23, but when I went for my records appointment and to get my spacers in last week I was given:

A "Dr. Fresh Orthodonic Kit" that included:
V-Trim Toothbrush
V-Trim Travel Toothbrush
Hourglass Timer (2 minutes)
Dental Mirror
(1) tiny Proxy Brush
Dental Floss
(1) tiny container of Mint Wax
(10) Floss Threaders

I also received:
PreviDent 5000- Booster Plus prescription toothpaste (all additional bottles will be $10 each XD)
(25) Stim-U-Dent Original Plaque Removers (basically toothpicks)
(1) Plackers Orthopick
(4) Red disclosing tablets
coupon for $5 off a Phi.lips Sonicare toothbrush
Standard list of foods to eat/not to eat
Standard card with flossing and brushing techniques on one side and problems and solutions on the other

I'm pretty jealous of everyone who got a t-shirt, lol.

EWUgal15

#176 Post by EWUgal15 »

adorkable8605 wrote:I received a t-shirt (in my choice of colors lol), a toothbrush with a proxy brush attached to the end, a proxy brush, floss threaders, wax, dental mirror, instructions and demonstration of proper cleaning, and a travel tooth brush.

This is pretty much what I got...along with a neat drawstring gym bag to carry it all in. My ortho also has a rewards program so I get bonus points when I wear the t-shirt to appointments. The points can be redeemed for gift cards, donations to local charity, or hygiene equipment -- like the new Sonicare toothbrush or Waterpik stuff (which is what I'm saving for!).

Kyngofpop

#177 Post by Kyngofpop »

I got a t shirt and some m&m's ....

PhDGuy

#178 Post by PhDGuy »

I got to pick a t shirt of my choice at the records appointment. If I wear this t shirt to appointments I get points redeemable for a variety of rewards. At the follow up banding appointment, I got a bag containing the following:

1. Plak Smacker Orthodontic toothbrush
2. A folding travel size orthodontic toothbrush
3. 1 small container of ribbon floss
4. 2 travel size inter proximal brushes
5. a small pack of floss threaders
6. a container of orthodontic wax - which I have almost used up :crazy:
7. Hourglass timer
8. Clinpro 5000 prescription only fluoride toothpaste
9. pamphlets on foods to avoid, how to deal with braces-related situations/emergencies, proper flossing/brushing techniques.

I have been very pro-active about my treatment so far and have asked a lot of questions. During my conversation with the orthodontist, I told her about this website and mentioned that I was going to start a blog documenting my braces journey, which she was very excited about. So the office also snuck in pictures from my records appointment in the bag and let me take pictures of my molds. I will also be getting my official diagnoses and treatment plan in the near future so I can better document it all on here :)

Top and Bottom Damon 3MX Braces put on 4/13/2015

girlgonemild

#179 Post by girlgonemild »

I got a toothbrush with a Christmas tree brush at the end, a packet of Super Floss, a dental mirror, a sample of ACT braces fluoride rinse, a coupon for ACT, a sample of Orajel, dental wax, and a list of foods to not eat.

ItsFreyja

#180 Post by ItsFreyja »

I got a t-shirt, kit with toothbrush/floss/wax, and a sweet Waterpik/sonic toothbrush. Now if only I could figure out how to use the Waterpik without spraying every surface in my bathroom....