OrthoCAD

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

mandanicole

#31 Post by mandanicole »

Okay so wow, I am impressed with the progress that you made in a year. I had my braces put on using orthocad on Feb 28, 2008, and I just had my first adjusment today. One of my molars was just banded today as well. The position of the molar made it difficult to cure with just a bracket. I have to say I think that I have already felt at least two different bites since I got the braces and I was not aware and just how fast the teeth can move. I am supposed to be in the braces for 14 mos. which is not long, but who knows if it will be done sooner. :D

SnowSara

#32 Post by SnowSara »

Thanks guys!
Can I ask though - do I see bends in the lower wire on that last pre-removal pic?
Yep! I think I have a better photo that shows how those 2 teeth that are on the bend were brought up to match the others. It's kind of eerie how my teeth are so even... I had some tooth contouring done on my incisors and lower front teeth, but otherwise they were all brought even with small bends in my last wires. I had a similar bend on the right side of my uppers as well.

Sigh... I still have to go through all the photos I took of my teeth during the treatment and get them in order, I even wanted to do an animated version... we'll see. If I do get around to getting it done I'll be sure to post it here!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Luella

#33 Post by Luella »

I think you had done what I'm having done. This is a link to an orthodontist's website http://www.crosscreekortho.com/whatSetsUsApart.html (not my ortho) that does it the way my ortho is going to do it! I'm excited!!! 1 month to go!
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

SnowSara

#34 Post by SnowSara »

Well, the braces still work the same way as any other braces, but the ortho gets to plan out my whole treatment ahead of time on the animated 3D models. He "straightens" them and moves them into place on screen and when he gets my teeth the way he likes them the program helps him work "backwards" to see how to get there. For instance, those teeth on the bend would need to be moved up at the end of treatment regardless, they were way below the other teeth around them. Does that make sense?

It also places the brackets in such a way that it's less likely they'll need to be re-placed later in treatment. Since it takes out some of the guesswork the time in braces is shortened. In a way, it's like the ortho put braces on me twice, once on the computer beforehand and once for real.

But yes, my ortho's been doing this a long time and his expertise and eye is still very much needed in the process. The program certainly can't replace that.

SnowSara

#35 Post by SnowSara »

Weeelllllp, just a quick update to tie up my treatment story:
Had my first retainer check yesterday and got the a-ok to just wear it at night from here on out (the ortho knows that i've been doing this for awhile anyway, but now it's official).
Going to go for one more check up in 6 mo to see how I'm doing but I'm pretty much "done"!

I asked my ortho the question I've been dying to know the answer to: Just how long DOES a retainer last? He said with my use (just wearing at nights) and as long as I don't grind my teeth it could last me 15 years (it's an essix-type retainer). Or more, or less, haha. So I guess as long as I don't notice any changes to it it must be doing its job.

Thanks again everyone for just being here through my treatment, it was so nice to have a community to come to that understood where I was coming from ;) I'm not leaving or anything, I still like to come back and answer questions every so often when I can. Talk to ya later!