(regarding DentaKit.com) What else would you like to see?

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

(regarding DentaKit.com) What else would you like to see?

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

I've kept the number of products offered at DentaKit relatively focused and small. From time to time I add something new. For instance, soon I plan to add a nifty little battery-operated sonic cleaner for retainers (it can be used for jewelry, too).

Anyway, it got me wondering what other dental hygiene items you guys and gals would like to see carried at the online store...things you have a hard time finding in local stores or whatever.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Eleni

#2 Post by Eleni »

Hi Lynn,

Hers is my wish list:

1) The plastic loop floss thingy (can you tell I dont remeber the name of it?). My dentist gave me them on my first day. They were made by Glide. You basically knot your dental floss on the loop and proceed to floss with it. I loved it because I could still use my favorite dental floss. I cant find it in drug stores and will more than likely have to ask for it on my next office visit.

2) Travel-size toothpaste, sold separately. Drug stores only sell two sizes - large and yougottabekidding extra large. My ortho scored huge points as he gave me a few on my last visit.

3) Mini-mouthwash/fluoride rinse bottle. I just came back from vacation and had a hard time lugging my Phos-Flur 16 fl.oz bottle with me. I havent found a well shaped small bottle that I can pour some of my rinse into, close securely and fit into my purse or DentaKit. Ideally it would hold no more than one or two rinses.

4) Any other recommended Breath mints, drops etc. I'm planning on trying the Breath Remedy Drops, but am wondering if there is anything else on the market.

5) Is it possible for you to sell any of the Sonicare or WaterPik brand products?

6) Lip gloss/balm (as tested and approved by archwired residents :)

7) Book: A Brief History of the Smile, by Angus Trumble (good compliment to your current book selection)

That's it for now. Hope this helps.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

LynntheAdmin

Thanks! :-)

#3 Post by LynntheAdmin »

Thanks for the great suggestions!

The travel-sized toothpaste surprises me. I figured that most people can find those in their local drugstores or supermarkets. But maybe not.

Those loopy things, are they these? https://commerce.jbutler.com/consumer_p ... oup_ID=141

A small bottle for transporting mouthwash. Now that's an interesting idea. What sort of dimensions would suit your needs?

Oh, I'm currently looking into a product that is similar to the Listerine breath strips, but is all natural. Sounds good...but I gotta taste it first ;-)

Lip balm....well, that's such a personal thing. There are so many on the market, I'm not sure where I'd start with that!

I've been thinking of selling the Sonicare or some other large items, but it can get rather involved. However, it is a possibility for the future.

I will look into that book. Sounds interesting!
"Wherever you go, there you are."

Betsey

Dentakit?

#4 Post by Betsey »

Lynn, for post-braces wear -- just a little carry case big enough for toothpaste and a toothbrush? Something that I can put in my purse?

Thanks for asking!

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

I'm still looking for those colapsible small plastic cups with cover. They closed like an accordian and they were smaller than the one in the denta-kit (not knocking the kit, I DO like the kit but I wish the cup were smaller.) :)
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Kristine

#6 Post by Kristine »

The travel-sized toothpaste surprises me.
I looked for some before a recent vacation, and it was *more expensive* than the regular sized tube! :x So if you could sell it at a fair price, I bet people would buy it from you.

Then again, I'm in Canada, so maybe it's different in the US...

LynntheAdmin

#7 Post by LynntheAdmin »

Chris wrote:I'm still looking for those colapsible small plastic cups with cover. They closed like an accordian and they were smaller than the one in the denta-kit (not knocking the kit, I DO like the kit but I wish the cup were smaller.) :)
They are neat and small, but a few things I don't like about those:

1. They tend to smell after a while because you can't dry them completely.
2. They tend to leak after a while.
3. You can accidently collapse it when it's full of water!

But if you really want some, I can give you a link to a place or two that sells them.

I had originally thought of those type of cups for the DentaKit, but after using one, drying it the best I could, and then leaving it closed up on my counter for a couple of days....phew, it was ripe when I opened it up again! :shock:

LynntheAdmin

#8 Post by LynntheAdmin »

Kristine wrote:
The travel-sized toothpaste surprises me.
I looked for some before a recent vacation, and it was *more expensive* than the regular sized tube! :x So if you could sell it at a fair price, I bet people would buy it from you.

Then again, I'm in Canada, so maybe it's different in the US...
Even if my price would be good for you, there are duties and tariffs that Canada charges on imported goods, which would eat up any of the savings.

Eleni

Re: Thanks! :-)

#9 Post by Eleni »

Lynn_the_Admin wrote:Those loopy things, are they these?
Yes!! Gum...Glide...I knew a "G" was in there somewhere.

As for the travel bottle idea, I am currently using a recycled mini mouthwash bottle I came across when I satyed at a hotel once. I threw out the alcohol-based rinse, washed carefully, removed the label and filled with my brand. I use that one at home to keep on the vanity and not lug the 16 oz out every night. It holds three good swigs. I wish I had another one for the office, as its embarrising to carry it to the bathroom. Have you seen the size of Plax at Duane Reade? Ideally, they would be great for the weekend getaways.

I either have to purchase mini fragrance/essencial oil bottles, or raid more hotel rooms that offer mini-mouthwashes. I'm trying to find where things like the following are sold commercially (and not the flimsy ones that leak all over you).

Casswell Massey sells travel mouthwash - but I dont trust it to be strong enough; though in a pinch I would carry something similar in my purse. See: http://www.caswellmassey.com/jump.jsp?i ... itemID=975
The story

LynntheAdmin

Re: Thanks! :-)

#10 Post by LynntheAdmin »

Eleni wrote:
Lynn_the_Admin wrote:I either have to purchase mini fragrance/essencial oil bottles, or raid more hotel rooms that offer mini-mouthwashes. I'm trying to find where things like the following are sold commercially (and not the flimsy ones that leak all over you).
As you can imagine, there are tons of little bottles a retailer can get ahold of. But a decent one that won't leak...well, there's the challenge, eh? The trouble with bottles of anything is....if you pack them in your luggage and check them through, sometimes the change in air pressure makes even the most "leakproof" thing leak at least a little bit. I always carry that stuff onboard, or pack it in double plastic zipper bags.

Well, I'll be on the lookout for this! The ones in that photo look decent (although they seem pretty overpriced, but those travel stores usually are). Have you tried those ones from LewisNClark?

LynntheAdmin

#11 Post by LynntheAdmin »

After a bit of online research, I found some really great looking "flat" plastic bottles in 2 and 4 ounce sizes. I think the "flat" ones would travel well. Just thought you'd like to know...I'm getting some samples for evaluation. :D

Eleni

#12 Post by Eleni »

Lynn_the_Admin wrote:Just thought you'd like to know...I'm getting some samples for evaluation. :D
Wow! Good to know. Thanks.
The story

Dee

#13 Post by Dee »

Hi Lynn,

Some replacement brush heads for the sonicare toothbrushes would be really great (they are sooo expensive in the UK too).

Scott

#14 Post by Scott »

There was some discussion a while back about a water pik that was better than all the rest, because it used sonic waves or something funky like that. Apparently the only place you could get it was off of one web site and it was very pricey (>$125 USD). If you're familiar with what I'm trying to describe, you might want to try contacting the distributor and offering a lower price and better shipping. If these things truly are the best you can get, then I think you would do well distributing these... and I think we'd all appreciate a better place to get them from.
Braces on: 04-09-18
Braces off: 06-03-18 (or so)

waxqueen

How about novelty

#15 Post by waxqueen »

Tee-shirts.

I have Google my little heart out looking for an orthodontic themed t-shirt. All I found was a couple on a vintage website and an iron on.

I just want a simple smile face with braces and maybe a cute saying- or personalization of "date to come off".

There must be clever artsy types out there who can design them.

How about " No, I'm not too old!" :roll:

If you make them I will surely order it!
Her Royal Majesty - The Queen of Wax

Tops and Bottoms-Nov. 23, 2004
ETR - 18 months-It'll be a miracle if I make it!!