Lip Balm/Lip Gloss

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

powderpuff

#76 Post by powderpuff »

I believe the only reason for using lipbalm is for the tingle! I used to use carmex all the time but my boyfriend won't let me drink after him b/c of the taste. I switched to Burt Beezwax and it still has the tingle and more tastey. It is sold at any Whole Foods or all-natural store. We have Earthly Concerns here. CVS also carries the line.
bunnyfluff wrote:I use Burt's Bees quite a bit (mainly because the tingle is fabulous!). I use Carmex when I get really chapped/split lips...especially in the corners of my mouth for some reason, most likely caused by a particular rubberband... :x

For a great balm that has the shine of a gloss, try My Lip Stuff.

http://www.mylipstuff.com

awillis42606

#77 Post by awillis42606 »

I LOVE the Burt's Bees Wax. I saw that another poster mentioned that she could only find it at bookstores like Borders. You can also get it from The Vitamin Shoppe...

I love the way it feels when you put it on... I have about 3 tubes stratigically placed around my house, so I don't have to hunt for one tube all day... it's great!!!

Epyx

#78 Post by Epyx »

I don't think anyone has mentioned Lucas' Papaw Ointment yet. It's basically a petroleum jelly base with fermented paw paw in it. I find it really effective when my lips have split. Great at night too.

Everyone keeps mentioning Burt's Bees ... I've discovered that we can get this here in Australia now:

http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeau ... oduct=6122

Epyx

#79 Post by Epyx »

Thanks Karen. I took the Lucas Papaw Ointment out with me tonight and used it several times. I have full lips and so far this is the only stuff that fixes them properly.

I was using Blistex Ultra for a week but I found it burns my lips, and it leaves a lot of unsightly white residue. Chapstick Blue was preferable.

I remember you mentioning Carmex a while ago. Am I right in saying you picked it up in NZ? I didn't realise until tonight that Carmex is available in Oz in some chemists. I'll give it a whirl when I find it.

Epyx

#80 Post by Epyx »

Thanks for the clue, Karen - I think I've found who you mean:

Biccari Holdings, 1 Jenner Road, Dural NSW 2158. Tel: (02) 9651 3411

Speaking of lip balm, this might amuse you:

http://www.kevdo.com/lipbalm/home.html

I wonder if there is a grain of truth in this?

polgara

#81 Post by polgara »

I love Burts Bee's stuff too. . .I have been able to find the products at Walgreens.

Graceful58

#82 Post by Graceful58 »

I love Melaleuca's Sun Shade Lip Balm in either Vanilla or Coconut. It has SPF 15 and granted I'm not in my braces yet but I use this every night when I go to bed and when I'm hanging around the house and don't want to wear lipstick...works great!!
Lower Jaw Advancement & Mentoplasty- Dec 31st...Happy New Year!!!

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Graceful

Delag

#83 Post by Delag »

Ok balm junkies, have your tried this stuff - Aquaphor Healing Ointment? It is made by Eucerin and it works great. I bought a 1.7 oz tube at Target for under 5 dollars - it should last a lifetime. It is quite thick (like vasoline) and once I can get my freak lips to touch each other again over my giant teeth, I might just use it at night. In just two days my peeling cracked lips are healed, and they feel moist even when the Aquaphor has worn off. I love my Burts Bees, and Carmex, but this stuff seems to heal much better.

SnowSara

#84 Post by SnowSara »

Of all the glosses, balms and doo-dads in my collection, I keep going back to my Aveeno as my all-time favorite. I've got the regular SPF one and the medicated kind for when I'm feeling a little chapped and sore. But man, using any kind of lip balm helps! I remember the first week I couldn't even rub my lips together like I used to, and without lip balm it would have been an awful, and very parched, experience.

BarbieGirl

Burt's Bees Lip Balm & Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers

#85 Post by BarbieGirl »

Burt's Bees has the nicest products and I love the soothing, cooling nature of the regular lip balm. The Lip Shimmers have great colors, light, and also have the peppermint oil in to make your lips tingle! Great product line.
Top and bottom Braces on: July 7, 2008
Elastics on: July 31, 2008
Next appt: September 9, 2008

Eriann

#86 Post by Eriann »

Hello all :)

I've used Elizabeth Ardens 8 Hour Cream for some time now - and I find it's coming into it's own now I have braces - esp soothing for those cracks that sometimes appear on the corners of the mouth. It's a fairly expensive initial buy - £15 or so - but that's eons supply of lip balm - plus you can use it for a multitude other things. I bought mine moons ago - feeling a little guilty about the price - and have barely made a dent in the tube. It's like posh petroleum jelly I guess - but has a nice caramel tint, and makes you feel a bit pampered every time you reach for it (speaking for myself anyway :))

I also use it to sooth chapped knuckles and rub into my nails and cuticles at night (if and when I remember - not much of a beauty devotee or guru here ladies :P) and to smooth eyebrows into place (again, when I remember lol :)) - also seems to have the added benefit of slightly darkening and thickening my fair and skimpy eyebrows/eyelashes over time. I'm not sure it's entirely safe and good for eyes - can sting a bit - so please do your own research on that :). Also makes a great 'dewy highlighter' dabbed sparingly on cheek and brow bones.

Plus it's a nice healing cream for kids - so handy for scraped knees too :) My daughter associates the smell with mum huggles now I'm sure - she loves it.

jpiper001

#87 Post by jpiper001 »

my lips are always dry, and i was a chapstick junkie, prebraces. burts bees is rad, and smells good. anything with an spf, and you know boys love our cherry chap stick=P

opera^gal

#88 Post by opera^gal »

For years, I've used a combo of old fashioned Blistex (in the tube, not a lipstick applicator) put on and left to soak in for a few minutes...then covered with any form of petroleum jelly like Vaseline. The Blistex seems to heal the chapped/cracked nonsense, while the Vaseline keeps it from wearing off too quickly.
2/2/09: metal braces T/B
8/20/10: braced removed (18mons, 18days), hawley retainers T/B
9/16/10: LR central incisor extracted (failed root canal)
2/23/11: implant/bone graft
9/15/11: implant crown placed, lower lingual bonding corrected
9/21/11: upper bonding on lateral gaps from upper arch forward advancement
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

Vingik

Re: Lip Balm/Lip Gloss

#89 Post by Vingik »

I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice.
Be careful with these. They "plump" by using essential oils and such to irritate your lips to make them swell. Think of what happens if you accidentally sunburn your lips - that's what it feels like and looks like to me.

Be sure that the essential oil is something that you are not cosmetically allergic to! I can't do anything with cinnamon in it (soaps, lotions, oils, etc.). I didn't notice one that I tried has cinnamon in it and my lips weren't the only thing that was affected - my lips AND cheeks were burning hot. I spent the evening with cold washcloths on my face.I tried the ELF product from Target https://your-style-guide.com/best-lip-g ... -plumping/ My experience was that the lip plumper didn't really do anything, and the cinnamon was rather tingly! I thought the primer did a good job of helping my lipstick to last longer, but the light color changed the color of my lipstick so I wasn't happy with it.

weebraces

Re: Lip Balm/Lip Gloss

#90 Post by weebraces »

I use Burt’s Bees lip balm.