Waterpik and oral surgery

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

Felina Grimm

Waterpik and oral surgery

#1 Post by Felina Grimm »

My boyfriend bought me a Waterpik for Christmas as an early present and I love it. But I read a note that states that if you had oral surgery less than a year ago, to ask the dentist. I had all 4 wisdom teeth out in October of this year and decided to use it anyway at a low setting. Does this mean I can't use it or talk to the dentist first?
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

cs2thecox

Re: Waterpik and oral surgery

#2 Post by cs2thecox »

I'd recommend talking to the dentist, but only if he's one who actually knows what a Waterpik is or he'll probably just say no!
I suppose it makes sense that you don't want to go blasting high pressure water into scars that aren't completely healed...

(Personally, I'd use it on your front teeth for now and make sure it stays well clear of the extraction sites until they're PROPERLY healed up, which might be a few more months yet. But I'm a bit of a risk taker like that...!)

Featheryy1221

#3 Post by Featheryy1221 »

They probably mean more like if you just had them out very recently. On the paper I got from my oral surgeon it said typically it takes around four weeks for the extraction sites to heal. Just don't blast it there just in case. You can always call your dentist, or if you went to an oral surgeon to get them out you can call them.
I'm sure they get questions like that and will be able to answer it.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

snowblaze

#4 Post by snowblaze »

I was wondering the same thing, I'll ask my ortho next week.

rachelb

#5 Post by rachelb »

I'd be curious to know the answer to that as well.
I've recently had wisdom teeth extraction and would like to resume using my waterpik, but don't know exactly when :|

Emmtee

#6 Post by Emmtee »

I had a wisdom tooth surgically removed in feb, and had six stitches. As I hadn't read the paperwork I've just been using my Waterpik, didn't think twice about it! No ill effects.