Braces free 5 yrs...retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blue-eyed-girl

Braces free 5 yrs...retainers

#1 Post by blue-eyed-girl »

In Dec. it'll be 5 yrs w/out braces. I had the clear retainers (top & bottom) for about 4 months (ltill 4/01 & lost them/dog ate them) but I got the hawley kind (top & bottom) when I realized the loss (which is what I was going to get @ 6 mths anyways).

I haven't seen my ortho since then...That was the last time he said I had to see him. I wear them occasionally/sporadically at night (3 x a wk here...once a wk there, etc.). And of course they feel tight, but my bite & smile feel & look good.

So my question, I feel like I could be messing up if the retainer isn't fitting properly, anyone else ever dealt with this? Should I just make an appt. w/ my ortho to see if everything's ok?

Thanks

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

my ortho sees patients 1 month after debanding, 4 months after, and then 10 months after. After that, they have you make an appt. for 1 year after the 10 month, and then like a 5-yr. But basically if you are ever wondering about something, I would encourage you to go to your ortho! How dooes the lower hawley feel? IT seems to me that it would be sore!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

jenns91civic

#3 Post by jenns91civic »

My lower Hawley is very comfortable. I much prefer it over the upper one. When I got my braces off, I was "supposed" to go back in one month but the lady at the front desk told me it would cost $109 so I didn't make the appointment. Now my upper retainer is starting to hurt the inside of my mouth but I can't afford the $109. I think I may just take the ret to them and show them. It's a manufacturing problem, I surely didn't break it, so maybe they won't charge me..........

You should wear your retainers every night, or as instructed by your ortho. If they feel tight, your teeth have moved, even if you can't see any movement. You may want to make an appoint for a retainer check and have the ortho make any adjustments necessary.

Jenn
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys