Impressions before or after debanding?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Me

Impressions before or after debanding?

#1 Post by Me »

Do you have impressions for your retainer done before your braces are removed? Or after?

Thanks in advance!
Just me
Just me

Kevin

#2 Post by Kevin »

I had mine done before my braces were removed.

Kevin

johnnys_angel

#3 Post by johnnys_angel »

I had mine taken 4 weeks before I got my braces removed. It was kind of messy, what with the braces being full of that STUFF and all, but it was worth it to get my retainer on 'that day'!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Me

Thank you!

#4 Post by Me »

Thanks for your answers. I have two more appointments scheduled. One is in three weeks and one is in 7 weeks. I guess I will get the impressions in three weeks and my braces off/retainer delivered in 7 weeks.
I can hardly wait!

Me
Just me

rooroo

#5 Post by rooroo »

I had my impressions taken immediatly after removal, and received my retainer one week after removal. My teeth didn't shift much at all, nothing that once the retainers were in for a few days didn't return to how they should look.
2 year Invisalign patient graduated to ceramics to finish up treatment

BracesAt42

Depends on ortho and retainer type...

#6 Post by BracesAt42 »

I had my impressions of upper and lower done immediately after debanding, and had my Hawley retainers delivered one week later.

One note of caution though - my ortho originally wanted to put a permanent bonded retainer on my lower arch and I refused, opting for a Hawley instead.

If I had gone along with the bonded retainer on the lower arch, the ortho was going to take the lower impression two weeks prior to debanding. The bonded retainer would have been installed on my lower arch on the day of debanding.

I strongly recommend clarifying with your ortho regarding the type of retainers he/she is planning for you, and carefully consider your desires. I had to literally remind the ortho and his assistants during each of my last 4 appts that I wasn't getting the "standard package" of a bonded retainer on the lower arch and a Hawley on top. Twice the assistants were going to take impressions prior to debanding, and this wasn't consistent with a Hawley retainer.

So, stay on your toes and question your ortho and his/her assistants to ensure you get the type of retainers you desire and you are all in sync with the impression and debanding process.

Congratulations on getting close to being Naked!

Best wishes!

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Yep, Braces at Age 42!
Damon 2's
Braces On: 9-18-2003
Braces Off: 7-13-2005

Lala7603

#7 Post by Lala7603 »

i had my inpressions made right after i got my braces off....then i went back later that day and picked up my retainer. But that only works if you are getting an essix retainer. usually if u are getting a hawley u get ur impressions made prior to debanding
SMIles
Lala
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

Lala7603

#8 Post by Lala7603 »

i had my inpressions made right after i got my braces off....then i went back later that day and picked up my retainer. But that only works if you are getting an essix retainer. usually if u are getting a hawley u get ur impressions made prior to debanding
SMIles
Lala
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

jenns91civic

#9 Post by jenns91civic »

I had my impressions done right after debanding...but my case is weird, I won't go into it but I basically called the ortho at 10:00am and asked when is the soonest I could go get my braces off and she said 10:30 that morning and they were off before noon....I picked up the retainers one week later.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

Jazziboo

#10 Post by Jazziboo »

I had impressions made for my top bonded retainer 5 weeks before debanding and I got lower impressions done for my hawley after the braces were off and I picked the retainer up 2 days later.
Jazziboo